• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2005: "Cozy in Cozumel" Reunion Trip - Jan 7-14

• Please log in to reply
883 replies to this topic

#31 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:38 PM

WW - when do you think you will know pricing? You know - for those of us who have to BUDGET. I hate the "B" word. :lmao:

Sandy

I hope the have some tentative pricing this week if possible. I'll have finalized pricing before DEMA if I can or definitely right after DEMA Oct 16th -ish timeframe since resorts will announce all their travel specials then! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#32 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 23 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

Been sitting here running Expedia, Travelocity and AA.com reservations websites trying to work out flights for the Cozumel trip.

There are no direct flights to CZM from JFK. Ok, fine. I kind of expected that.
Anything with 1 connection is $900+ ouch...
Two connections, $700 not bad but AA puts you though Hell.. I mean Miami.
Been there, done that, have the heartburn to prove it. (My luggage showed up the next day)
Everything else you spend 10-12 hours traveling. grrrr
AA won't let me use my frequent flyer miles for this trip or even a segment... hmmmm...

Time to get tricky.
AA round trip to Cancun.... $595, still unable to FF it. hmmm.. ahhh.. plane is almost fully booked all ready! No wonder.
AeroMexico roundtrip Cancun to Cozumel $133
Total $733 and one connection.

Meeting and diving with new friends... PRICELESS
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#33 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:23 PM

Forget the plane from CUN to CZM. Did you noticed how often it flies? If you miss it, it gets cancelled, your bags don't get on, your stuck.

I couldn't get my hometown bud on the same flight to CZM last January by the time he decided, so we flew to IAH, then he flwe to CUN, while I flew to CZM. As it worked out, his flight left IAH earlier than mine, so by the time he took the van from CUN to Play del Carmen, the ferry over, and the cab to the hotel, he was only 15 minutes behind me.

Find the best you can tonight, call the res agents on the phone, and put it on an over night hold.

Then early in the morning, check again. Some tickets held since yesterday but not paid for today will replentish the system. It's very often cheaper to book in the early morning.

When you start on Expedia, use NYC to CZM, and it'll try all 3 airports. I just found 4 airlines with good flights to CUN in October for less than $400 RT.

Give me the dates. I'll give it a try. :wavey:

Edited by DandyDon, 23 September 2004 - 08:34 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#34 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:27 PM

or you can take the ferry from cancun to coz.

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:43 PM

Been sitting here running Expedia, Travelocity and AA.com reservations websites trying to work out flights for the Cozumel trip.

Sometimes you can look too soon! This far out the tickets tend be more pricey then closer in. Don't freak out just yet! -ww

P.S. going to merge this into the trip thread since it pertains to that trip! Thanks, -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#36 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

When you start on Expedia, use NYC to CZM, and it'll try all 3 airports. I just found 4 airlines with good flights to CUN in October for less than $400 RT.

I fly out of JFK for a couple reasons... Newark is to far to travel to especially on a Friday morning, I live out east on Long Island. LaGuardia is $160-180 either by cab or parking.
JFK is closest and I have free parking privledges.

I've flown international quite a few times and have done very well. Just wish I had my free flight privledges back. Thank you 9/11. :dltears: The only time I have ever had problems with luggage or making a flight is when a connection is involved. If I fly to Cancun I have to collect my luggage to clear Mexican Customs and Immigration anyway, correct? (First time to Mexico btw)

I saw the bus/ferry option. Considering this as a nice way to travel, crossing to the island as the sun sets kind fo thing. The CUN-CZM flights on Mexicana run about 6 times a day and AeroCaribe runs about 8 flights a day. Plenty of options there no?

WW, I promise not to freak out. One of my mottos is "Don't Panic!" :diver: And I started this in the other forum since I meant it to be about flying in general. No Problemo.

#37 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:01 AM

Hey, who is this guy? I had to cancel an October trip to CZM due to USAirways not flying middle of the week anymore, would love to try this trip as a first time SD traveler.

#38 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 04:05 PM

fairfield59,
This will be my first trip with SD. I'm psyched! :wakawaka:

#39 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

Sometimes you can look too soon! This far out the tickets tend be more pricey then closer in. Don't freak out just yet! -ww

P.S. going to merge this into the trip thread since it pertains to that trip! Thanks, -ww

I'd been wondering what happened to our discussion?

Let's see, he can fly from New York to Mexico, but not be bothered with crossing Manhantan. Got it. Let me see.

Last time I checked - last winter, I found only 2 flights a day from CUN to COZ, but I guess they've added flights.

Tonight (Tue or Wed morning could look better?), Expedia offers:

$594.29
6:30 am Depart New York (JFK) Arrive Cancun (CUN) 12:08 pm Sat 15-Jan
Duration: 6hr 38mn Delta 5113 / 243 Connect in Atlanta (Hartsfield Intl.)

4:50 pm Depart Cancun (CUN) Arrive New York (JFK) 12:15 am +1 day Sat 22-Jan
Duration: 6hr 25mn Delta 1152 / 5790 Connect in Atlanta (Hartsfield Intl

Jan 15 to CZM: I didn't see anything I'd want to fly?! :respect:

Jan 14 to CZM: No, wouldn't fly those, either!

$600.38
11:00 am Depart New York (JFK) Arrive Cancun (CUN) 2:13 pm Fri 14-Jan
Duration: 4hr 13mn American Airlines 1671 Nonstop flight

3:00 pm Depart Cancun (CUN) Arrive New York (JFK) 7:31 pm Sat 22-Jan
Duration: 3hr 31mn American Airlines 1674 Nonstop flight

$713.92
10:00 am Depart Newark (EWR) Arrive Cozumel (CZM) 1:31 pm Sat 15-Jan
Duration: 4hr 31mn Continental 1977 Nonstop flight

2:15 pm Depart Cozumel (CZM) Arrive Newark (EWR) 7:15 pm Sat 22-Jan
Duration: 4hr 0mn Continental 1978 Nonstop flight

I'd rather spend $113 more to fly to CZM non-stop than spend $130 to fly across the channel, or take the cab-ferry. I appreciate that you do't want to go to NJ, but on a Saturday morning, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. You'd still beat me there.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#40 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:07 PM

Hey cool on the flight information Don! However if Capt was to check into some charter flights rather than the big airliners like AA something cheaper might come into play with that. I remember when we all went from Dallas into Cozumel last Jan we took a charter and I believe a few others did from other cities as well. Give it a shot before you commit to any flight plans. Believe me also, the flights are just as nice as going on AA or Delta or whatever big airliner you choose to fly with.

Dejah

#41 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

Believe me also, the flights are just as nice as going on AA or Delta or whatever big airliner you choose to fly with

Now, there's a bold, and actually untrue statement. But I don't want to argue the point and insult the charters. They have their place, but they're cheper for reasons.

Nonetheless, if you can find him a charter from JFK, that'd be a good option

Again, starting with Expedia on Sun night - which is only a starting point, neither the time or place to buy a ticket:
$311 Roundtrip
5:56 pm Depart New York (JFK) Arrive Dallas (DFW) 9:00 pm Sat 14-Jan
Duration: 4hr 4mn American Airlines 1309 Nonstop flight

Friday afternoon travel in Manhattan, overnight in DFW, then fly to CZM.

Makes New Jersay look better to me.

But see if you can find him a cheap charter outa' JFK?

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

I'll see about getting some bulk air when I finalize the package. Resorts are preparing DEMA pricing specials right now...so we will hopefully get some great deals VERY SOON! -ww

formerly...

#43 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:12 AM

Hey Don, thanks for the lookup. I saw the American non-stops JFK-CUN and those are my first choice and I get them for $595. How long and how much is the trip via cab/ferry?

You afraid of the puddle jumpers? Flying is just like diving but reversed. You ascend first and then descend. :dance: I'd be more concerned about cancelled flights and not getting over there. Could land in CUN, check out the commuter to CZM. If there's a seat and leaving shortly, hop on it. If not grab the cab/ferry.

Delta is not bad but the more conenctions, the more lost luggage. For some reason, whenever I have flown Delta, both domestic and internationaly, there has always been a problem. They do their best to fix it but it's never been a breeze through. Cracked windshield, delays due to T-storms, bomb threat, flight I was booked on didn't exist, etc. (all true!)

I see what you say about EWR to CZM direct. I didn't see that one and will have to think how to do that since EWR is such a pain in the butt. (Also add in $120+ just for parking onto the ticket) It may not look far on a map but it is hell to drive it. Yesterday morning, picked up a friend to go diving. 6:30am on a Sunday and guess what? Sat on the Throgs Neck Bridge in bumper to bumper as they do construction and only one lane open. :respect:

WW, I'm not booking anything until after you get back from DEMA so we can see what you come up with.

Am I being difficult? :P

#44 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hey Don, thanks for the lookup. I saw the American non-stops JFK-CUN and those are my first choice and I get them for $595. How long and how much is the trip via cab/ferry?

Wouldn't it be nice if it was JFK non-stop to CZM?! :birthday:

I have actually driven a car in Manhattan once, but I probably got a lot of leeway wearing my cowboy hat. If you had a better way to get to NJ, that'd be my choice, but you know your roads better than I could.

You afraid of the puddle jumpers? Flying is just like diving but reversed. You ascend first and then descend.  :P  I'd be more concerned about cancelled flights and not getting over there. Could land in CUN, check out the commuter to CZM. If there's a seat and leaving shortly, hop on it. If not grab the cab/ferry.

Not afriad of small planes flown by local pilots without FAA oversite; that's part of the adventure. I fear flight cancelation and luggage left behind ' cause the plane was loaded. I think your approach of grabbin the flight if conveneint, grabing the cab if not, is a good one. Might also check on the harbor from the airport. If a norte is blowing, the port could be closed, the ferry not running, and you'd be best to wait for a plane, now that they have more flights.

Delta is not bad but the more conenctions, the more lost luggage. For some reason, whenever I have flown Delta, both domestic and internationaly, there has always been a problem. They do their best to fix it but it's never been a breeze through. Cracked windshield, delays due to T-storms, bomb threat, flight I was booked on didn't exist, etc. (all true!)

My bags and I enjoy prioriy handling with Delta, but they're just an airline. They all have those challenges. I agree, non-stop will be safer for getting there with bags; I just never, ever get that option.

I see what you say about EWR to CZM direct. I didn't see that one and will have to think how to do that since EWR is such a pain in the butt. (Also add in $120+ just for parking onto the ticket) It may not look far on a map but it is hell to drive it. Yesterday morning, picked up a friend to go diving. 6:30am on a Sunday and guess what? Sat on the Throgs Neck Bridge in bumper to bumper as they do construction and only one lane open.  :respect:

I almost always leave my house at 3:30am for my first flight, but I don't worry about traffic. Is public transportation a bad option? I would think there would be options there, as the airport was built to serve The City, not NJ?

WW, I'm not booking anything until after you get back from DEMA so we can see what you come up with.

Am I being difficult?  :birthday:

No, just chatting. :dance:

#45 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:56 AM

JFK direct CZM would of course be the flight to heaven but alas... I am not so blessed. I thought about driving to my moms place in New Jersey and having her drop me off and pick me up but, at 79 years old, her memory is started to fade.

Mass transit around NYC is geared to getting people from the suburbs to the city and back, not through. And the train from here would be the evening before for any early flight. I need to get rich, lease my own jet, and fly me and my friends around. :teeth:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users