• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When does your passport expire?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

Don't assume that because your travel agent and the resort asked for your passport number and and when it expires that they actually look at the date to see if you have the time remaining to enter the country. They apparently don't! If you don't have six months remaining on your passport you will be sent home on the next plane unless you can bribe your way in.
If your travel agent says "wing it" a week before the trip you need a new travel agent, expedited passport service is available. I did standard online renewal and had my new passport in a week, I would assume expedited service would be a little quicker.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#2 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:31 AM

Don't assume that because your travel agent and the resort asked for your passport number and and when it expires that they actually look at the date to see if you have the time remaining to enter the country. They apparently don't! If you don't have six months remaining on your passport you will be sent home on the next plane unless you can bribe your way in.
If your travel agent says "wing it" a week before the trip you need a new travel agent, expedited passport service is available. I did standard online renewal and had my new passport in a week, I would assume expedited service would be a little quicker.

Good general advice, but the specifics depends on the country. Some require 6 months, some only require "valid." The State department has a list on their website. I've traveled to Australia with my departure date being a week before my passport expired.

Was that a good idea? No. :D If I ended up in the hospital or otherwise delayed, I'd have been in a world of hurt legally, since I'd a) have to get a new passport through the consulate, and b) I'd have to get a new visa while in the country illegally, since entry visas are generally not valid past the expiration date of the passport they're in.

#3 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:09 AM

I just got mine renewed in October. Took about 10 days (and I stressed out the entire time I did not have it - gotta always have it for impromtu international good air deals :D

Bob, when did you fly to Australia with <6 months? I was at EWR in the spring when I was stuck waiting to check my bags in the Ticket counter. Being the only person in the line, I could not help but overhear the conversation between the one WBC customer at the counter speaking with ALL 3 of the TAs. They were explaining to this US citizen with less than 6 months validity on his US passport who was trying to go to Paris (CDG) that there was no way they would issue him a boarding pass, and there was no way they would let him on their NW plane. No amount of explaining that he would get it renewed in the US embassy in Paris would change their minds. France is on that list you mention. They sent him on his way, and told him to come back after he got the passport. It was the Sunday afternoon of BTS this year. He might have been able to fly on Monday evening if he got the new passport.

I would not take any chances, renew if passport does not have 6 months validity. This experience reinforced this passport rule.

Also you must check to make sure you have the proper VISA to enter many countries. While your Travel Agent should advise you if you need one (I would immediately fire a travel agent that did not counsel me properly), it is your responsibility to make sure you have the VISA. Many countries even need them for transiting the airport, and if your connecting flight went mechanical or was canceled and you had to wait for another flight on another day in a country that did not require a visa for transit, but did for entry to the country, you would be stuck in the airport until your flight and SOL unable to leave to stay in a hotel for example.

Happy travels everyone! :D

#4 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

Bob, when did you fly to Australia with <6 months? I was at EWR in the spring when I was stuck waiting to check my bags in the Ticket counter. Being the only person in the line, I could not help but overhear the conversation between the one WBC customer at the counter speaking with ALL 3 of the TAs. They were explaining to this US citizen with less than 6 months validity on his US passport who was trying to go to Paris (CDG) that there was no way they would issue him a boarding pass, and there was no way they would let him on their NW plane. No amount of explaining that he would get it renewed in the US embassy in Paris would change their minds. France is on that list you mention. They sent him on his way, and told him to come back after he got the passport. It was the Sunday afternoon of BTS this year. He might have been able to fly on Monday evening if he got the new passport.

Spring 2006. Departed out of JFK on your favorite airline, Qantas. I already had a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (Australia's electronic visa), and the airlines have access to that info I believe, which may have played into it.

Was the person heading off to Paris planning to be there past his passport expiration? That's a definite no-no, since visas generally won't be granted for a duration longer than your passport validity.

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

Spring 2006. Departed out of JFK on your favorite airline, Qantas. I already had a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (Australia's electronic visa), and the airlines have access to that info I believe, which may have played into it.

Was the person heading off to Paris planning to be there past his passport expiration? That's a definite no-no, since visas generally won't be granted for a duration longer than your passport validity.

I don't know how long he was gonna be in Paris, but he missed the validity period by just a little bit, as I recall. US citizens don't need a visa for EU countries.

And yes, Qantas is my "favorite".

Happy travels.
R

#6 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

Depending on the country, you may also need a certain number of unused PAGES left in the passport as well, as at least 6 months validity and the proper visa. I think I had to deal with that before Palau, and sent my passport off to the processing office to have new pages added to the middle.. I assume if you had less than 6 months, it would make more sense to just renew, but mine had 3 years to expire, but was already pretty much full.

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

but mine had 3 years to expire, but was already pretty much full.

Rosa, I think you are bragging :birthday:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

Signed and Dated

#8 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

but mine had 3 years to expire, but was already pretty much full.

Rosa, I think you are bragging :birthday:

LOL. Ray, I think you travel on fun diving trips more than I do. And don't forget my parents live outside of the country, so that accounts for a lot of my trips.

#9 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

June 2017. :lmao: But I was shocked to discover my previous PP was set to expire during a Roatan trip in 2007... a month before we were to depart! :teeth: *raised to the 13th power* This resulted in a mad dash to file an exhorbitantly surcharged "expedited" passport. (Remember the backlog of applications when foreign travel restrictions were imposed? Uncle Sam never misses an opportunity to profit from it's own imposed red tape... but I digress.) :lmao:

As a result of my mild panic, my mood was rather... well... unsettled by the time the clerk snapped the PP pic. I should have looked, really should have looked, instead of simply sealing the the package and hustling it into a PO drop box. For the next eight years I will be sporting the... worst... PP... photo... ever. :cool2: I swear it does not even resemble me (though it obviously got me out to, and back from, Roatan). :-D And I guess it isn't bad enough to drop the extra dough on a replacement... :bye:

DO NOT LET THIS LIFE SHATTERING EXPERIENCE HAPPEN TO YOU! RENEW YOUR PP EARLY.... and often.

Brought to you by the Brad Foundation, Mothers Against Bad Photos, and the Ad Council.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#10 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

DO NOT LET THIS LIFE SHATTERING EXPERIENCE HAPPEN TO YOU! RENEW YOUR PP EARLY.... and often.

Brought to you by the Brad Foundation, Mothers Against Bad Photos, and the Ad Council.

Uh oh! Mine expires in 2011. Better get crackin'! :cool2:
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

This resulted in a mad dash to file an exhorbitantly surcharged "expedited" passport.

But expedited service is still less than bribing an offficial to get in and/or being deported :teeth:

Signed and Dated

#12 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

This resulted in a mad dash to file an exhorbitantly surcharged "expedited" passport.

But expedited service is still less than bribing an offficial to get in and/or being deported :teeth:

LA, I defer to your (apparent) BoBRO** expertise! :teeth:

Hmmm, I sense the potential for a cottage industry here; crossing palms with silver in exchange for low profile entry to another country... oh, wait, they already call them coyotes. Drat. :lmao: Beaten out on another sure-fire fortune...

** Bribery of Banana Republic Officials

Signature Slug Witheld Just to Show I Can

#13 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

Uh oh! Mine expires in 2011. Better get crackin'! :teeth:

Silly Mermaid! Simply freedive in beneath the mines and submarine nets; that's a breath hold of only, what, two hours? Piece 'o cake! :teeth: Once ashore, you'd weave your irresistable spell of enchantment over any border agent foolish enough to challenge you.... :lmao:
...But how to charm the meter maids, that's another matter.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#14 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

But expedited service is still less than bribing an offficial to get in and/or being deported :birthday:

LA, I defer to your (apparent) BoBRO** expertise! :D

Hmmm, I sense the potential for a cottage industry here; crossing palms with silver in exchange for low profile entry to another country... oh, wait, they already call them coyotes. Drat. :birthday: Beaten out on another sure-fire fortune...

Well first off you don't want to call it a "bribe", I believe the magiq words she used were, "Is there a fine I can pay?" and you don't want to say it in front of too many officials because it will be divided and each must be happy with the amount they get or you could be out the money and still get deported. :teeth:

Signed and Dated

#15 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

But expedited service is still less than bribing an offficial to get in and/or being deported :birthday:

LA, I defer to your (apparent) BoBRO** expertise! :D

Hmmm, I sense the potential for a cottage industry here; crossing palms with silver in exchange for low profile entry to another country... oh, wait, they already call them coyotes. Drat. :birthday: Beaten out on another sure-fire fortune...

Well first off you don't want to call it a "bribe", I believe the magiq words she used were, "Is there a fine I can pay?" and you don't want to say it in front of too many officials because it will be divided and each must be happy with the amount they get or you could be out the money and still get deported. :teeth:

Ray,
What is the "suggested fine" for entry to Indonesia (Bali)??? I can't believe the airline allowed boarding with that passport... their fine is substantial, I hear.

Robn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users