• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trimix Certification

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

I got mine this past weekend!!! WOOT!
:D

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Congratulations! Into the deep you go. Now, tell us where you're going to use it, so we can dive vicariously through you......
Posted Image

#3 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

Congratulations! Into the deep you go. Now, tell us where you're going to use it, so we can dive vicariously through you......

I'm planning on diving the Kamloops and the Gunilda next year...right after Advanced Trimix.

#4 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:13 AM

Congrats!!!! I know you worked hard for the cert. Way to go. When are you coming back to Florida???

#5 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

Congrats

John B and I were talking in Cozumel about how to bring inert gas onto the Odyssey during the potential January 2011 SingleDivers trip to Truk. He has offered to blend it for us if we can get it there.

Looks like I have some work to do as far as training goes!

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

What agency did you train with?

#7 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

Congratulations!
Its not just about going deeper it is all about the destination. The investment you have made in both time and dedication has its rewards. You will soon be exploring and experiencing sites, few will ever see. The thrill of being the first to ever see something is overwhelming.
Sheers, and good diving to you. May your discoveries be something to be written about.
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Congratulations! Oh, and now the news: As you pay the fill station for your Trimix fills, you might want to start thinking about going the CCR route. For about $20 or so in gas, you can do at least two, maybe even up to six, Trimix dives on a CCR. Something to think about.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

Thanks all! And yes, it is all about the destination. I read the story of the ghost ship Kamloops as a boy before it was discovered. I was fascinated by it and when I found out it had been discovered, it piqued my interest in scuba. It's really for that reason I took up the sport at all and the reason I've gone the technical route (with TDI, to answer your question Peter). I passed the marker buoys twice on my Isle Royale liveaboard this summer and kept thinking about how I'll be diving that next year. I can't wait and you know I'll be doing a lot of practice dives getting ready for her.

#10 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Congrats!!!! I know you worked hard for the cert. Way to go. When are you coming back to Florida???

I'm not sure. The plan was for Thankgsgiving but I doubt that will happen now. There is talk of doing an Oriskany trip in January. That's a bit of a drive for you though. But, I'll keep you in the loop no matter what I do.

#11 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'm not sure. The plan was for Thankgsgiving but I doubt that will happen now. There is talk of doing an Oriskany trip in January. That's a bit of a drive for you though. But, I'll keep you in the loop no matter what I do.

Hey There. I know some others that want to go there too. Maybe the carpool will happen. Congrats Again!!

#12 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

Let me know when you plan your Oriskany trip. We have the only charter boat with a HEATED cabin! :P It's COLD here in the FL panhandle in January. :-D

And CONGRATS on the trimix cert!!! :thankyou: You can take some pictures of the props for me!!

Edited by diverdeb, 07 November 2008 - 10:20 AM.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#13 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

Let me know when you plan your Oriskany trip. We have the only charter boat with a HEATED cabin! :lmao: It's COLD here in the FL panhandle in January. :birthday:

And CONGRATS on the trimix cert!!! :D You can take some pictures of the props for me!!

Thanks but I don't have a camera...spend all my money on other gear...9 tanks, 6 regs, 3 wings, etc.

Can you send me some info on your charter via pm? And thanks again!

#14 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

:lmao: Whoa, that's a lot of gear! Just curious, why so many tanks and regs? I can see 1 or even 2 sets of doubles and a couple of deco bottles, but that's only 6. And regs, I only got 4 new ones when I started tech stuff. Just curious what all you got. :D
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

When i was open circuit diving years ago, long before I ventured into the diving business, I was diving pretty regularly in the waters around Britain. At that time I had two twinsets, both steel, one of 15 litre tanks and the other of 12's, plus a single 15 litre, a single 12 litre, two 10's, two 7's and a 3 litre pony. That's 11 in all. I had regs for all of these plus maybe four additional, so a total of maybe 15 regs. Two jacket-style BCDs, one very simple, the other relatively "techie", plus two soft harnesses for twinsets. No backplates as I've never been a fan of them.

When I started CCR diving 10 or so years ago I got rid of much of this gear, and just kept the double 12's, the single 12, one harness, the pony and the 7's. That did me for dives down to 400ft+, and I didn't feel I needed any more.

Down here in Belize I wouldn't contemplate OC trimix diving as helium is just so expensive. With a CCR the cost comes way down. In fact I rarely dive with air/nitrox as diluent, choosing 10/50 as a good general purpose gas that does me for most of my dives. I can usually do 8 or 9 hours of diving on one 3 litre fill (that's 20 cu.ft.).

Although I used to be an IANTD instructor I've let that lapse and won't be renewing it, for a number of reasons unrelated to diving. I did the TDI instructor course but never bothered to send the papers in, as I couldn't see the point of duplicating what I was already doing for IANTD. I have considered signing up with TDI now I'm out of IANTD, but really I don't have the need. At the time I did all this (eight or so years ago) I was very unimpressed with TDI's standards, which fell a long way short of IANTD's. I'd love to know what they are now, but they're restricted and only instructors have sight of them (I can't imagine why, though IANTD have now followed suit). I wrote to TDI recently to ask some specific questions on standards but they directly refused to answer them, which I found amazing. So I don't know whether they now require dives on trimix as part of trimix certification (when I did their course years ago they could all be simulated). They also required way fewer "trimix" than IANTD did at that time - two instead of six (and that six often became eight).

Re-reading that last paragraph it could be taken as knocking Johanson's achievement. I certainly don't mean to do that, and I congratulate him for reaching such a high level (or should that be "low"?). I'm just curious how these things have changed over the years.

Edited by peterbj7, 10 November 2008 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users