• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Google Yourself...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Just to show you how privacy is eroding with the open nature of the Internet I would like you to do the following. Go here and type in your first name, your job, your city and the word scuba. I tried this for a few people I know on the board and almost invariably they were found in the top 5 returns.

If you have multiple words in your job or town name then place them in quotes. "Director of IT" or "San Francisco" for example.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

I only did my name and not the rest you suggested. I had 4 hits!! I knew about one because of the shuttle going back up after the last loss. My whole 30 seconds of fame on NBC. The others were valid info, man, just didn't realize that the other stuff was out there!!

#3 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,062 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

I am pleased to report that using the search string suggestions above I returned not a single hit about myself, either from Google or Dogpile (a hyper-search tool that sub-queries several popular engines). :wakawaka:

Disclaimer: This level of anonymity may be achieved ONLY through a life of near hermitile (no, not a real word) solitude. Also this search was not performed on any government or military search centers, where I would probably pop up with infestation-level regularity. :wakawaka:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

Followed the formula and found no hits about myself.....
Guess I haven't been in Texas long enough to have a record... :wakawaka:

Tried it again but used the city I use to live in.. again nothing..
It appears that I am not as infamous as I like to believe.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

one of my students did just this to getmy phone number. It gave her a PDIC listing for me
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#6 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

no hits for me. guess I'm just not famous enough. :wakawaka:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#7 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Nothing about me, but the 3rd item on my Google search pointed me to the Things We Didn't Know (http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/twdk.do) website and the following quote....

SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below....Rhys Davies, Newport
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#8 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below....Rhys Davies, Newport

You never dove with me !

Google me and you will get hundreds of pages of results. Thats why I use many other names on forums.

But loss of privacy can be fun.... look at the Palm Beach County Property Appraisers office.... we can get floor plans of Donald Trumps house, Rush Limbaugh, Oprah Winfree and see what taxes they pay ! We get their address and how much they paid for the place and who they bought it from...... you can type in my name and get an aerial view of my house, my square footage, what kind of floor I have, what kind of heat and what kind of air conditioning I have, you get the floor plan, you can see I have a work shed and a carport. Now that you have my address, you can search the F.C.C. for a lot more information about me... you can search the department of corporations to see a whole lot of stuff about my incorporation, you can look up my F.E.I.D., you can see who my registered agent is...... you can look on the 'sex offenders site' and see that I AM NOT THERE, but if I were a habitual knee-breaker or armed-robber you could NOT look that up!

and once you figure out how to get a few usernames and passwords you can find out what size pants I wear!

#9 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

Nothing under my 'real' name at all--but using PlatypusMan and scuba as my search terms netted 8 of the first ten listings, including one in the local paper where I explained how the PlatyMobile got it's name.

Does that make for fame?

eh.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 24 November 2008 - 08:43 PM.

#10 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

If you are concerned about privacy,.... and as a physician and single woman I am....you can set up google alerts, where you will receive an email alert anytime your name crops up on the internet. It is amazing how many websites now focus on "rating your doctor or you name it profession etc". I am still waiting to see when a patient writes up one of the outrageous things I tell them with a straight face...(usually when I am trying to relax them during a biopsy) :thankyou:

#11 Diver Ron

Diver Ron

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:02 AM

I aint on it but some dude from colorado with my name is and then I found out I graduated from an engeneering college in 1961 , lmao musta been a good time cause I sure dont remember it..lol
Ron

#12 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

Just to show you how privacy is eroding with the open nature of the Internet I would like you to do the following. Go here and type in your first name, your job, your city and the word scuba. I tried this for a few people I know on the board and almost invariably they were found in the top 5 returns.

If you have multiple words in your job or town name then place them in quotes. "Director of IT" or "San Francisco" for example.

This didn't work for me - probably because of where I am. As a former spokesperson however, when I get asked for a job reference, I comply, adding "its quicker to google me ". I gave up my privacy a long time ago....
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#13 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

I've found things about myself using "Rick" and "Richard" as my first name. Some of them involve diving, marine ecology, or articles that I've written. Interestingly, I share a name with a TV announcer in Arizona and a former linebacker for the old USFL San Antonio Gunslingers.

Rick

:)

Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton was the one who asked why. - Bernard Baruch

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

he he he Simon it may work with some people but i tried a few variations of my name, and professions and locations and only one item proper hit popped up, but that one isnt one i remember putting up.

Oh well i guess im not important enough to be tracked by google.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

I don't show up either - except for posts here using my screen name :teeth: guess I've done a good job keeping my personal info off the net...

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users