• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Holiday songs- What's your favorite?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:03 AM

....Love the part where someone is being getting sent out to the store for an a weird combo of items such as an extension cord and tampons and box wine.

:D I've looked in my own basket a time or two, and wondered what the guy behind me must think about my combo of items.
Posted Image

#17 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

I'm with Tooth on the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music. I love Medieval and Renaissance music (I'm not Catholic but I even like Gregorian chants...weird, I know...) and I love MS's use of period instruments for the olde traditional music!

And, I'm right there with PPM....if I hear McCartney's "take" on Christmas music I tend to find myself perilously close to losing my last meal. Like PPM, in the course of the workday I was unwillingly forced to hear the same 30 (+/-) songs over, and over, and over...ad infinitum, ad nauseum. :D

Gimme the traditional tunes from 1100 - 1880 A.D., and I'm a happy girl.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#18 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

"We three Kings, of Orry and Tar,
tried to smoke a rubber cigar.
It was loaded, and exploded...
Only two Kings left..........."
:D

:cool1:

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#19 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

Greensleeves/What Child is This? and Edelweiss (you can watch a perfermance of it from Sound of Music on YouTube here!!)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#20 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

"We three Kings, of Orry and Tar,
It was loaded, and exploded...
Only two Kings left..........."
:D

Very similar to the one we sang as kids:

"We three Kings of Sloppy Joe's bar,
It was loaded,
and exploded...
Now we are kings of Mars."

Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#21 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

Since the topic is holiday songs, I'd have go with "Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogleberg, whom we lost about this time last year.

Rick

The test of any man lies in action - Pindar

#22 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

Since the topic is holiday songs, I'd have go with "Auld Lang Syne" by Dan Fogleberg, whom we lost about this time last year.

Not to be nitpicking but it is called "Same Old Lang Syne" nonetheless it is a great song. Fogelberg was one of the great singer-songwriters of our time. Yes, we lost him a year ago to the day (12/16/2007)

Edited by Mitch0129, 16 December 2008 - 06:09 PM.

-Mitch-

#23 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

Sorry this isn't a carol but lets call it a Stupid Santa Trick. After the commercial.

http://video.msn.com...=...HP&fg=gtlv2
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#24 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Little Drummer Boy...something about having no gift to bring ...gets me every time.

#25 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

Dominic the (Christmas) Donkey always makes me laugh

#26 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

Sleigh Ride. Especially with the orchestra.

Tooth then you'd like my myspace song with the Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas Eve
I like Kenny Chesney's "All I want for Christmas is a real good Tan"
Ain't love a BEACH?

#27 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

For Victoria, to prove there was good music written after 1880 (why that specific year?). You'll need to relabel it as a .wma to play it.

Attached Files

Edited by peterbj7, 18 December 2008 - 10:52 PM.

#28 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Peter, that piece is lovely.

The date may seem arbitrary, and perhaps it is in some fashion. I'm not a fan of the majority of 20th Century composers. Generally, for me, after about 1890 more and more atonality and dissonance became utilised by composers... and the less I tend to like them. Prime example? Béla Bartók absolutely sets my teeth on edge. There may be pieces of his that I would enjoy...but I haven't encountered them yet...

#29 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

I hope those who've listened to the Britten found it as chilling as I do. It's part of a suite he wrote at age 19, so around 1932. Not bad for a teenager.

Actually, to prove I have catholic taste (note the small "c"), I also rather like "Amid the falling snow" from the album Amarantine by Enya. Not remotely of the calibre of the Britten of course, nor as "onomatopoeic".

Though as modern research is strongly suggesting the birth of Jesus was actually in mid-summer, perhaps the Australian music is more appropriate. At least the climate is right! Early Christians wanted to adopt an existing festival and the mid-winter one was chosen. All northern societies celebrated it, albeit under different names and with different significance, but essentially it was to mark the winter solstice and the birth of a new year. It's recently been discovered that Stonehenge was built for the winter solstice, not the summer one as modern quasi-druids like to believe. Then calendar drift moved the date to the present one.

Easter originally came about in a similar way - the spring equinox. The only equinox that wasn't "taken over" is the autumn/fall one, though I have no idea why.

Edited by peterbj7, 18 December 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#30 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

I hope those who've listened to the Britten found it as chilling as I do. It's part of a suite he wrote at age 19, so around 1932. Not bad for a teenager.

Actually, to prove I have catholic taste (note the small "c"), I also rather like "Amid the falling snow" from the album Amarantine by Enya. Not remotely of the calibre of the Britten of course, nor as "onomatopoeic".

Though as modern research is strongly suggesting the birth of Jesus was actually in mid-summer, perhaps the Australian music is more appropriate. At least the climate is right! Early Christians wanted to adopt an existing festival and the mid-winter one was chosen. All northern societies celebrated it, albeit under different names and with different significance, but essentially it was to mark the winter solstice and the birth of a new year. It's recently been discovered that Stonehenge was built for the winter solstice, not the summer one as modern quasi-druids like to believe. Then calendar drift moved the date to the present one.

Easter originally came about in a similar way - the spring equinox. The only equinox that wasn't "taken over" is the autumn/fall one, though I have no idea why.

It appears that only the ancient Greeks thought the autumnal equinox was noteworthy...Persephone being the eater of a few pomegranate seeds.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users