• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The OMS "Box"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

When I was a kid and lived in Alaska we'd always anticipate "the box" that showed up from an aunt filled with small presents for each of us. Well, this past week I got the grown-up version of the "box" filled with OMS gear. I felt like a kid again.

Thanks to Bill aka OTWdiver and some great SingleDivers.com deals on a full regulator set including the *NEW* R-600 Deep Performance Regulator, an R-250 octopus, and submersible pressure gauge all in a cool OMS bag! Can't wait to dive Grenada!!

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

And she even got DIN regs!

I'm really glad one of our partners was able to get you such a great deal and better yet...such great gear! I know you will enjoy it! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

Why OMS?

#4 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Why OMS?

It's been a long journey trying to decide what gear to get. I've only done one trip a year up until this year, and I had a very long stint for various reasons that kept me from diving ...for 12 years. I started diving to kick me in the **** a bit, as I was grieving the loss of my father. I never expected then to connect with a group of divers who might interest me in technical diving...or doing more than one trip a year. I only planned to rent gear and do my "one trip" that connected me to the water and in a way to my dad, or more correctly to his memory.

That said, why OMS, why something that is a bit overkill (yes, I know it's overkill for simple rec diving.)

You saw a lot of posts earlier...I'd decided to get my own gear and then was trying to decide about all the different features, balanced first and second stages...or unbalanced, certain brands or not certain brands. I've had a lot of conversations online and via PM. Ultimately, the ability to get a really good deal (I've done a LOT of price checking) on a reg that breathes REALLY well (I'll let OTWdiver speak to that) tipped the scales to OMS from other brands, which I also considered buying.

I am very excited about where my diving may take me in the future and I have learned that diving will likely change more in the next 5 years than it has in the last 10. That being said I wanted gear that I could trust, felt could take me more towards the technical aspects of diving if I chose to go that route, yet would also work well for Caribbean and local diving. As I've already said, the reg I got is probably overkill for most of my diving applications but then I don't want to have to upgrade in a year or so should I decide to be more aggressive with my diving aspirations. And the price I got from the site's OMS partnership made the equipment as economical as many other brands I looked at that, that were in my opinion recreational only. In fact these are the same regs that OTWDiver dives to over 300+ feet on so I know they will stand up to anything I throw at them. And again the price was better than many other regs that I was looking at which I did not think were of the same quality or usefulness. Why not get the best quality you can for the best price?

I know I now own DIN regs and I do need to get used them...but it isn't like I've had a whole lot of experience with yoke either... and as I understand it most technical divers use DIN, so I am ahead of the game there as well.

#5 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

You made the right choice going with the DIN valve...they are much better than yokes. On thing though...did you get a DIN to yoke adapter to toss in your dive bag? A lot of resorts don't have DIN tanks and the adapter is needed.

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

You made the right choice going with the DIN valve...they are much better than yokes. On thing though...did you get a DIN to yoke adapter to toss in your dive bag? A lot of resorts don't have DIN tanks and the adapter is needed.

Yep! OTWdiver made sure I was taken care of with an adapter :cheerleader: ...I'm sure I'll need it for a while, until I take the plunge into that "other side" with my own tanks or find places that rent din tanks! :birthday:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users