• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD Fitness challenge...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

I know its a bit late for new years resolutions but I'm sure many people made them. I'm sure many of them related to weight loss as well. Does anyone here do Crossfit? Have you even heard of it? I got into it after gaining a bunch of weight from my surgery and subsequent lack of excersize. I'm a huge fan and was wondering if anyone would like to be my virtual crossfit partner? I stick to the WOD (workout of the day) which is posted on the crossfit site. I'm looking for someone to share times and max loads with. There are a plethora of people on the crossfit forum and brandx but I thought it would be fun to get some of the SD folks into it. If anyone is interested let me know. There are scaled workouts available for those just starting out or for those that need to ease themselves into a fitness regimine to avoid injury. Todays workout is

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps of:
Clean 135 lbs
Ring Dips

Max effort for shortest time.

This is following a warmup of:

3 rounds x 15 reps of:

Overhead Squats (weighted or unweighted)
Glute Ham or Regular Situps
Back Extensions
Pull Ups
Dips

Doesn't sound too bad but its killer. You can find examples and tutorials for all the excersizes and a ton of information regarding the "sport" at www.crossfit.com There is also a scaled (lower levels scaled for beginners and women) version of the WOD here I think this would be a fun way for everyone to get in shape and motivate each other. If anyone is interested, post up!
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:51 AM

It's NEVER TOO LATE FOR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS....

And this is a great idea! Not sure how many members are into this particular regime...but I'm sure we could find PLENTY of others willing to REVISIT those not so old 'New Year's Resolutions' and make them NEW AGAIN!

So if you are into Crossfit? Let us know!
If you are into ANY OTHER form of exercise....LET US KNOW!!!

Beachjunkie is right.... LETS BEGIN A SD FITNESS CHALLENGE!!! Who's Next in the CHALLENGE???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:12 AM

I just started the crossfit WOD in Jan - you should see me loose with a kettle ball!!! :thankyou:
Known puker

#4 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hey this week is Chinese New Year, a perfect time to renew (okay for me start!) a new years resolution! I'm going to take a look at the site and see if I can begin too. Thanks for the idea BeachJunkie!!

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

I'm more into cardio training, myself. I know I need to do some strength training as I get older, I just can't get into it......
Posted Image

#6 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Actually crossfit is incredibly cardio oriented. It makes me more winded and tired than running 6 miles in a 10 minute workout. You'll burn more calories and have a heavier cardio load doing a crossfit workout than you will running on an eliptical or riding a stationary bike for an hour! Not trying to push it, just speaking from experience. Anything is better than nothing.

Starfish Sandy, glad to hear you like it. Do you have a favorite workout?

UWFan, Give it a look, if you have any questions let me know. You'll either love it and get addicted to it, or you will despise it so much you'll never want anything to do with it again. Depends on how much you like pain and misery haha.
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

Now see what you've done Beachjunkie...you've gotten all these WOMEN excited about getting fit! GOOD JOB! :birthday:

I think you need to KEEP tally of your PROGESS on our site...you know...as inspiration to other members! Not to mention a few pics here and there too! :birthday:

But seriously...lets see who else wants to ADOPT ANY KIND OF FITNESS CHALLENGE AND WE'LL MONITOR EVERYONE'S PROGRESS HERE ON THE SITE!!! :pray:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

That sounds like a plan. That was basically the idea. Nothing motivates a guy to get in shape like good lookin ladies! I'm all for sharing my results as long as everyone promises not to laugh. So who else wants to get in on this?

As far as pictures go, I can't put pictures on this computer but I'll post up my progress when I get back to the states. Fair enough? For now all I can do is post times for the WOD and measurements/weights. The biggest problem I'm having is diet. MRE's aren't exactly perfect for maintaining a good diet and the chow hall believes that EVERYTHING should be fried or made on a grill with ten times too much grease and oil. I have managed to cut out all soda of every kind, no fruit juice (too much sugar), limited starches, no fast food style stuff from the chow hall (burgers, wings, hot dogs, pizza etc). Just water and black coffee and gatorade. Can't wait to get back to the states and make my own food!

Time for todays workout was 10:13. I'll post up tomorrows workout and time if anyone is interested in following along.

Current measurements are:

6'2
33 in waist

Goal is to either cut down to a nice dry 195 or maintain the 205 and increase muscle mass. Wish me luck. Anyone else want to join me in my quest for the healthy beach body?

#9 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have lost 21 pounds since my joining of weight watchers - it's a life time struggle for me. I just like food! :wakawaka: :wakawaka: I play around on the crossfit web site - I bounce around with the different workouts - I really do like the basic kettle ball squat/swing. (My name for it) :wakawaka: I started swimming - at the Y. It takes once up AND down the pool to make ONE lap. sigh. I can do 17-20 laps (with some breaks in between) and Dan can do 40. Not sure I'll ever see the 40! :wakawaka: SWIMMING LAPS KILLS ME. It is a lot harder than it looks - plus I have a Nemo fin! :wakawaka:

I do about 45 mins of either the elipitcal (sp?) or the "wave" at the gym and then about 15-20 of circuit weights - my blood sugar can drop in a flash - so it just depends how long I can last. :wakawaka:

I have a friend in my weight watchers class who has lost 130 pounds. Yes, 130 pounds, she keeps me motivated. Quite a gal.

I hope to dive for as long as possible - so I'm okay with having to work for it. :cool1:

Edited by Starfish Sandy, 29 January 2009 - 06:04 PM.

Known puker

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

OK, I'm up for the challenge, even if I don't do the same type of exercise routine as you. My resolution was to work out at least 4 times per week, and I've made some progress losing weight. Do I have to give my stats?? **Sigh** OK, just under 6 ft tall, and 215 lbs this morning. Goal is to get down to at least 185 by my next dive trip, which looks like Fiji in May. I really want to get rid of some of this "natural buoyancy" so I can drop some lead out of the BC.

My typical weekly workout schedule looks like:
  • Recumbent bike at home before work, Mon-Fri for 30 minutes
  • Mon/Wed/Thurs I stay at work after my shift, and do 45-60 minutes on either a treadmill or elliptical
  • Tues, I stay at work after my shift, and do some type of strength training, but there is no fixed set of exercises or number of reps. I tend to work my upper legs (quads & glutes, for climbing into boats in full dive gear), biceps (I hate tricep work), and lower back & core.
  • Fri/Sat/Sun, my workout consists of housework, yardwork, or projects. Or sitting on the couch reading a good book, whichever I choose! :cool1:

Edited by Landlocked Dive Nut, 31 January 2009 - 08:50 AM.
correct typo. 85 lbs? Really? LOL

Posted Image

#11 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Goal is to get down to at least 85 by my next dive trip, which looks like Fiji in May.

Are you sure about this goal....85??? :cool1:
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#12 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

I have lost 21 pounds since my joining of weight watchers - it's a life time struggle for me. I just like food! :cool1: :wakawaka:

I'm with you there on the life time struggle. Over the years I've done just about every diet out there, but Weight Watchers is the one that really has worked best for me. It all boils down to portion control, and incorporating exercise into your diet plan. I start to have problems when I get lazy, stop planning my meals and get back into the fast food habit. Personally I've been back on Weight Watchers for the last couple of weeks, and I've lost 3-4 pounds. As soon as I get back into an exercise routine I expect to accelerate my progress. I'm going to look into the Crossfit thing you guys have been talking about!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#13 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

I'm game for this SD Fitness Challenge ! I have never learned how to exercise indoors before, I have always done everything outside and my weights is like a YoYo..spring and summer OK then Fall and Winter the pounds just start adding up ! I know what you eat makes a difference but Exercise makes a huge difference..I'm going to go to that web site you suggested and see what I can get into..

6' 1-1/2" 200lbs..I can do better for myself
Thanks BeachJunkie
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#14 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Goal is to get down to at least 85 by my next dive trip, which looks like Fiji in May.

Are you sure about this goal....85??? :cool1:

Hell of a typo! :wakawaka: 185, cross my fingers!
Posted Image

#15 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

I'm in on this. I've been working on the stationary bike for the last 2 weeks.

6' and currenly at 205 from a high of 212.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users