• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Motorcycle Mania

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

...I once went over 200 miles to a wedding (I was late!) in 1 3/4 hours on a bike, and I generally cruise at between 90 and 110 mph. My record on a public road is 180mph, but had I been caught I most certainly would have been in serious trouble for that.

Peter - you know it's not the speed but the 'sudden deceleration' that gets you. :teeth:

I forget the exact percent but the majority of cycle accidents in the US are single vehicle accidents, people riding beyond their ability.

Edited by lynnlchan, 29 January 2010 - 11:45 PM.

Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#62 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

My motorcycle riding career ended in 1974 when my head was on the pavement about six inches from the right front tire of a big truck. It was fun while it lasted however. Riding my BSA 441 was like being part of the machine itself. :teeth:

#63 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

For the women that ride -

International Female Ride Day on Friday May 7th
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#64 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

...I once went over 200 miles to a wedding (I was late!) in 1 3/4 hours on a bike, and I generally cruise at between 90 and 110 mph. My record on a public road is 180mph, but had I been caught I most certainly would have been in serious trouble for that.

Peter - you know it's not the speed but the 'sudden deceleration' that gets you. :twist:

I forget the exact percent but the majority of cycle accidents in the US are single vehicle accidents, people riding beyond their ability.

I wouldn't want to overstate the significance, but I used to race motorcycles so I've an idea what's going on. On a public road, of course, all bets are off.

#65 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:02 AM

Peter - you know it's not the speed but the 'sudden deceleration' that gets you. :twist:

I wouldn't want to overstate the significance, but I used to race motorcycles so I've an idea what's going on. On a public road, of course, all bets are off.

My mistake - I thought you were talking about the 200 mph and 90 - 110 mph on public roads. Racing amazes me - they can blow a tire at 165 mph and walk away. Course tracks are set up so there's a limited chance for a sudden stop.

#66 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Here is rare picture of my bike with a back seat on it.
Posted Image
Signature under construction :)

#67 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

We just sold our bikes to pay off my car. I had a Suzuki SV650 and Matt had a Kawasaki Z1000. We just figure when we are little better off financially he can get his Dukati 848 and I can get a R6 or something. I haven't thought it through as much as he has.

:thankyou:

#68 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

I thought you were talking about the 200 mph and 90 - 110 mph on public roads

I'd forgotten this thread. The 200mph was most certainly racing only, but the 90-110 was indeed on public roads. Routinely at that. Traffic goes faster in the UK than in the US.

#69 Two Wheels and a Regulator

Two Wheels and a Regulator

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I am new here but ran across this thread and had to chime in.
Been riding a lot longer than I have been diving but enjoy both. Even rode from StL to Key West do some diving with all my gear strapped on the back of my bike.
For me there is a connection between the two. Being out in the open on the bike riding all over, feeling free and being there instead of wrapped up in a couple tons of steel and plastic.
Diving is similar. Floating free in the currents flying across the reef below. Part fish yet still human.
Two activities I found both relaxing and exciting.

Bikes,
2005 FJR 1300, highway borne cruise missile
2008 KLR 650, Ugly but will get you there, anywhere, anywhere in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users