• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

10: SOLD OUT!! Galapagos...the APEX of Diving! Oct 10-20th INCLUDING EXTRA DAYS!

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#376 pault

pault

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver naui 570+ dives
  • Logged Dives:570+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

NITROX UPDATE:

We are trying to update the first post which shows 4 people NOT diving nitrox. However upon closer look it seems that only

PAULT is not diving nitrox....is that correct?

If you are NOT diving nitrox let us know.
And Paul if you are diving nitrox...let us know.

:welcome:

\i amnot diving nitrox

#377 Texan_in_China

Texan_in_China

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:Expert
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

I am back in the States now and getting ready to go :welcome:
I did find my camera and so would like to take the photography class.
Also, a few final questions -
- I was planning on renting gear in Galapagos (BC and Reg), it is on my EV form, so is that good to go?
- I assume I will pay for that at the dive shop - correct?
- will the BC have the necessary safety gear?
- I know it is probably somewhere in the posts, but since I am trying to get caught up after returning to the land of technology (internet service)
will we be picked up at the airport in Quito, to transfer to hotel?

See you soon!
Barbara

#378 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

URGENT LAST MINUTE FINANCIAL DETAILS:

1. No traveler's checks accepted anywhere.... NONE!
2. You will need to pay the $150 fuel surchage and any other fees or bar tabs etc WITH CASH. Credit cards charge 12%. There are some bank machines but it is EASIER AND SAFER to bring it from home.
3. Do not forget cash for tips...usually 10% of your tab.

Hi Kamala,
Tell your group to bring cash pay onboard. Bar tabs, port fees etc needs to be paid directly to the boat along with the fuel surcharge of $150 per person. Cash is better. credit cards have a 12% tax added on. There are bank machines in Quito and Puerto AYora, Galapagos.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#379 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

i am not diving nitrox

Thank you! k

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#380 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

I am back in the States now and getting ready to go :welcome:
I did find my camera and so would like to take the photography class. - AWESOME! You will pay Gabrielle in cash on the trip!
Also, a few final questions -
- I was planning on renting gear in Galapagos (BC and Reg), it is on my EV form, so is that good to go? YES YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. Just don't try to rent gloves, hoods or hooded vests....NONE LEFT.
- I assume I will pay for that at the dive shop - correct? YES
- will the BC have the necessary safety gear? NO THAT IS CONSIDERED SEPARATE. NOT SURE IF WE CAN RENT SAUSAGES OR NOT. BOAT DID HAVE A FEW SO IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE NEEDING ONE YOU SHOULD BE OK. AND MOST LIKELY EVERYONE WILL BE BRINGING THEIR OWN.
- I know it is probably somewhere in the posts, but since I am trying to get caught up after returning to the land of technology (internet service)
will we be picked up at the airport in Quito, to transfer to hotel? NO WORRIES IF YOU CAN"T FIND IT...EASIER TO REPLY AGAIN. IF WE HAVE YOUR FLIGHT DETAILS AKA YOU FAXED OR EMAILED YOUR EV APPLICATION IN THEN THEY HAVE YOUR DETAILS AND YOU WILL BE PICKED UP AT THE AIRPORT. LOOK FOR A SIGN THAT SAYS EXPLORER VENTURES AND/OR SINGLEDIVERS.COM

See you soon!
Barbara

formerly...

#381 SpaceDiver

SpaceDiver

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:299

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

Those interested in a photo workshop from a photo pro ($100 SPECIAL SD PRICE):

1. Kamala aka WreckWench (if camera arrives in time) CAMERA STILL NOT HERE... :welcome:
2. Chad aka Chad -- CONFIRMED 10-8 he will take the class
3. Barb aka Texan_In_China -- Still uncertain????
4. Pam aka Blue151 - CONFIRMED SHE IS TAKING THE CLASS
5. Bill aka OTWDiver -- CONFIRMED
6. Bill aka GrayFins -- CONFIRMED
7. Deb aka deb4diving -- CONFIRMED

So we have 5 confirmed and 2 unconfirmed.

This should work. Please post the following:
1. What camera(s) you have, if you have cameras
2. What you'd like to learn most.
3. How you would categorize your level of expertise with underwater photography and with your camera(s)

That will help me prioritize the learning objectives for the course. Thanks!

Take care,
Gabrielle

Hello all,

I would also like to take the photography class.

1. I presently use a very simple Nikon Coolpix L20 point & shoot in a housing, with no strobe
2. I'd like equipment recommendations & tips for using my simple camera without a strobe
3. I've taken several underwater photo classes and used a Sea & Sea Motormarine II EX (film camera) for several years after years of shooting with disposable cameras in Ikelite housings. I used a Canon PowerShot SD770 IS and a Canon PowerShot SD1000 for a week in Saba, Netherlands in Nov 2008 (first use of digital underwater cameras). I used my present camera on one trip over 2 weeks in Bali & Wakatobi Indonesia in July. I got great pics with digital.

SpaceDiver

Edited by SpaceDiver, 08 October 2009 - 12:34 PM.

#382 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Great Tom! The more the merrier! :welcome:

formerly...

#383 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Have a great trip you guys!!! Can't wait to see pics and hear the stories -

Dive safe.
Known puker

#384 deb4diving

deb4diving

Meeting folks

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / speciality certs
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Kamala,
Are the hotels/boat 120v and is an adaptor needed.

#385 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

Kamala,
Are the hotels/boat 120v and is an adaptor needed.

Hey deb, Kamala may be able to give more specific info... but a website with general information about Quito http://www.spanish-s...eling-quito.php gives this information for the area...

"Voltage: 110/120V, same as in America and different from the voltage in Europe. 2 prong electrical inputs are most common, so bring an adapter for appliances using 3 prong electrical inputs."

Hope this helps.

#386 pault

pault

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:master diver naui 570+ dives
  • Logged Dives:570+

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

URGENT LAST MINUTE FINANCIAL DETAILS:

1. No traveler's checks accepted anywhere.... NONE!
2. You will need to pay the $150 fuel surchage and any other fees or bar tabs etc WITH CASH. Credit cards charge 12%. There are some bank machines but it is EASIER AND SAFER to bring it from home.
3. Do not forget cash for tips...usually 10% of your tab.

Hi Kamala,
Tell your group to bring cash pay onboard. Bar tabs, port fees etc needs to be paid directly to the boat along with the fuel surcharge of $150 per person. Cash is better. credit cards have a 12% tax added on. There are bank machines in Quito and Puerto AYora, Galapagos.

I have been in ecuador 8 days and had nice time but it isnt kanas ,in regards to money there are atm's ,dont bring large bills( above 20's) as thery are hard to cash ,at the airport you can pay a flat fee to get to hotels there are some desks to the right as you exit after your luggage or get a metered cab . everything else seems pretty straight forward keep your goodies to yourself the bad guys do play wiht guns here. most of the people are great and very helpful and the spanish is very clear. hope this helps.

#387 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

I have been in ecuador 8 days and had nice time but it isnt kanas ,in regards to money there are atm's ,dont bring large bills( above 20's) as thery are hard to cash ,at the airport you can pay a flat fee to get to hotels there are some desks to the right as you exit after your luggage or get a metered cab . everything else seems pretty straight forward keep your goodies to yourself the bad guys do play wiht guns here. most of the people are great and very helpful and the spanish is very clear. hope this helps.

Thank you Paul...that is great feedback!

formerly...

#388 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

MORE INFO FROM THE BOAT FOR EVERYONE:

Hello from Explorer Ventures,

You are now only a few days away from your trip to Galapagos.

Please read the following and let me know if you have any questions.

You will arrive at Quito airport and go through immigration. Luggage carts are $1 in Quito available at the small booth next to the baggage carousel.
Pick up your luggage and pass it through the scanner. Then proceed out of the baggage area. Have your bag tags handy as they will not let you leave the baggage area until they match the tag numbers on the bags to the tags in your hand.

You will be met in Quitol by a representative from Galasam with a sign with your name (singledivers) on it. You will find them directly after exiting the baggage claim area.
The representative will take you directly to your hotel. In Quito the Hotel is the Rio Amazonas located in the mariscal region of Quito. There is no confirmation code.

Your reservations are by name so please give your names to check in. Your representatives will assist you.
Both cities require some degree of awareness. Crime is not a big problem but you need to be aware. Following are some helpful hints from my experience.
Please do not carry purses or large bags with you when you go out at night in either city. Stay only on well lit streets with people. Use only legitimate taxis - yellow taxis with logos on them to show they belong to a cooperative.
Watch out for the children selling gum and other things that will crowd around you. They are seasoned pickpockets and are responsible for most of the petty theft in both cities. Never put any knapsacks, etc. on the floor. Keep them on your lap in the restaurants. Never let anything out of your sight at the airports.

The representative that picks you up will also inform you of your flight details for Galapagos and what time you will need to be in the hotel lobby for transport to the airport for this flight. Normally our guests are on TAME 191 leaving Quito at 730 am. This means you need to be at the airport at 615 am at the latest. Sometimes our guests are on the second flight TAME 193, leaving 2 hrs later. You will be fully briefed on everything and your airport contact speaks good English.
On the morning of your departure you will be taken to the domestic departure section of the airport. You are allowed to take any liquids that you want on domestic flights, including water.
On entering the airport you will first proceed to the INGALA booth. This is located straight ahead in QUito and to the left of the ticket counters in Guayaquil. Here you will give them your flight number and passport and pay $10 for your tourist card. After you receive the tourist card you will see a scanner to the right of the INGALA booth (in both airports). This is SIEGAL. Here you will need to scan your bags and get the SIEGAL tags put on all checked luggage. You cannot check in without these tags.
Once you have scanned your luggage proceed immediately to the TAME counter with the sign "Baltra". Here you will check in and get seat assignments.

Some helpful hints:
Take regular carry on luggage as you would with one of the big US airlines. There is always a lot of room on the planes for carry on and they never check the weight of it despite their restrictions. Place your heavy items like regulators in your carry on if possible. I would suggest you carry your regulator and your computer with you on the plane if possible.
TAME can be very strict on luggage limits. The charge is $1.75 per extra kg of weight over 20 kg. WHen you place the bag on the scale lean it against one side, or if it is soft luggage hang part of it off the back of the scale. From experience this will lower the weight.

On arrival in Galapagos you will be met at the airport by your guides.
Please remember Galapagos is a part of Ecuador. The language is Spanish and a very small part of the total population speaks English. Your guides on the boat speak good English. The rest of the crew speak very little English. If you have questions direct them to your guides.
The Galapagos islands are islands and thus have limited supplies of many thi8ngs. This varies week to week and affects our meal planning onboard. We do the best we can and have very good chefs but often there are items not available. It also is impossible to get many of the items that are found in the US, such as Dr. Pepper.
ALl diving is done from pangas(inflatables) and will involve 5-15 minutes ride in the panga from the boat to the dive site.

After your trip your guides will organize you at the airport and you will be met on arrival in Quito/Guayaquil by a representative from Galasam who will take you back to the same hotels and will give you airport pickup details for your flight home.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

formerly...

#389 Blue151

Blue151

Everyone knows me

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

Gabrielle -

Thanks for conducting the workshop. Here is my info:

1. What camera(s) you have, if you have cameras: Sealife DC600 (Digitial camera in a housing) w/Strobe
2. What you'd like to learn most. : Macro and wide angle... plus the basics (i.e. white balance, composition, etc)
3. How you would categorize your level of expertise with underwater photography and with your camera(s): Never taken a class, but have had a camera for years, so I picked up a few things along the way... all of which probably need polish! :-)

See you all soon!

Pam aka Blue151

#390 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for providing camera details so far!

Gabrielle -

Thanks for conducting the workshop. Here is my info:

1. What camera(s) you have, if you have cameras: Sealife DC600 (Digitial camera in a housing) w/Strobe
2. What you'd like to learn most. : Macro and wide angle... plus the basics (i.e. white balance, composition, etc)
3. How you would categorize your level of expertise with underwater photography and with your camera(s): Never taken a class, but have had a camera for years, so I picked up a few things along the way... all of which probably need polish! :-)

See you all soon!

Pam aka Blue151

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users