• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its My Time To Quit

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hi
I was a 1 to 2 pack a day smoker for over 30 yrs. I tried quiting a couple times several years ago and failed. 8 months ago I did a failure analysis on why those attempts to quit didn't work and found that I had not prepared myself with a plan to quit smoking I just went at it (cold turkey). So I decided to make a plan this time and make my smoking an enemy of mine, not only was it taking away my health it was also costing me a small fortune. I knew it was going to be a War because it had embedded itself deep into my life and into my life style. So if this was going to be a War, then I needed a winning plan that would not fail, I called it Operation "Odorless". (I did not set a date to quit, I just would know when it was time) So I started eating healthier and staying active. I worked on the triggers of smoking like lighting-up after a meal, getting in my car and driving, morning coffee etc.. and making a conscious effort to smoke less. Making a plan ahead of time really helped, I felt like I could be successful this time because I was preparing myself mentally and physically and got some support from my friends and fellow divers. I started chipping away at my enemies strongholds and undermining its only weapon, I started stockpiling my arsenal with bottled water, good food, a long list of things to do around the house 24/7 if needed and 21mg Patches to be used on the invasion day. Basically the plan was to turn the tables on my enemy and when that day came I was going to give it some Shock and Awe ! . That day came last Saturday when I went into the smoke shop to buy a carton and the new tax was in effect which added $8 to each carton, I told the cashier just to sell me 2 packs and the cashier reminded me that another tax was going to be added in April and as I walked out the door I said to myself this is why our Founding Fathers had the Boston Tea Party...then I said No its just time to launch Operation "Odorless" everything went in the trash Sunday night and I am smoke free. This is the first time in my life that being a quiter has been a positive thing.

Please feel free to post your Testomonies or Questions or Answers and Idea's

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

Good for you Bubski! :teeth:

Now you can start a "dive trip Kitty". For every carton you used to buy, that money goes into the trip kitty! :lmao:

Keep up the good work!!
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#3 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

:teeth: :wakawaka: I'm so proud of you!!! You can do this! I know it will be hard, but it will be SO worth it! Barb has a great idea about the dive kitty. I think you should do it. It sounds like you have a great plan. Anytime you need some encouragement, send me a pm!!!

Best of Luck!!! :lmao:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#4 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Glad to hear you have made the decision to quit Bubs. If you get the urge to smoke, just let me know, and I'll bop you over the head real good! :lmao: Just think how much more kissable you will be. :teeth:

#5 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

:lmao: Super news Bubski! Keep after it, I'm sure you can win this war! :teeth:

And just think.....with the extra money you are saving you can buy me an after dive drink if we ever get the chance to dive together! :wakawaka:
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#6 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Good Job Bubbski.
If I can do it, anybody can, afterall it only took me 27 years to quit and have stayed so over 11 years now
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hey Bubski!

I quit smoking over 10 years ago...what helped me most was lollipops! It's an association thing I guess; or gum or hard candy. Even now, I catch myself holding some things like a cigarette, you know, between the index and middle finger.

My best advice is to avoid situations where you liked to smoke, avoid smokers period and don't go to the convenience store where you used to buy your smokes...develop new habits

but most of all, enjoy being smoke free!!

I'm proud of you Bubski! :teeth:

#8 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

More than anything else you need to consider the long term health benefits of not smoking.

My father was a 50+ year smoker who prior to dying in 1999 had suffered from a VERY long list of health problems that were intensified by smoking. They included a heart attack, tongue cancer, emphysema and macular degeneration. In the end all the breathing treatments, continuous oxygen, CPAP machines, medications, etc. were unable to prevent his lungs from failing.

My mother was diagnosed with emphysema a couple of years ago, yet she continues to smoke. That just goes to show how tough it is to kick the habit.

Good luck!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#9 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Good for you!!! I'm so glad to hear you are making the effort to have a healthier lifestyle! Build that dive kitty!

#10 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Wow, Great news. I have never smoked, everyone in family did or does, and one friend of mine quit when she heard that I would take a shower after I was at her house or spent time with her. It "flipped" a switch for her that I did that to eliminate the odor attached to my hair and clothes.

I am always very proud and hopeful when someone makes the lifestyle change that will/should improve their quality of life. I agree with others, take those $$$ and puttem aside for a trip!!!

#11 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

:teeth: to all who have won this war. Bubski, you've tackled it the right way this time, so you WILL be successful! The smoking habit is mostly mental, and you now recognize that fact. It only takes a short week to get the nicotine out of your system & get over any physical addiction, so now you keep your mind focused on the "enemy" as being just that, and you will win your war. Staying away from the "triggers" is key - and you've identified those too. I stayed away from drinking, & I brushed my teeth immediately after eating, etc. to re-train my brain. It's only been since Oct. 11, 2007 for me, but I feel great, have more money to dive with, and the tank of air lasts much longer! PM me if you need encouragement.

And, it that's not enough incentive, I'll team up with Sandy & bop you a good one to get you back on track! :lmao:
Posted Image

#12 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Budski, Good for you man! Keep those hard candies close by. Replace those oral cravings with more health ones. After a week its more mental for another 3 weeks then your over the hump. Stay strong.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#13 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

Bubski,
You CAN do it!!!! :teeth: I also thought about setting some money aside for a dive trip as a reward. Rewards are so important, as that is what can keep you going. Get a picture of the place you want to go and post it EVERYWHERE as a reminder. Post notes to yourself reminding yourself that you CAN overcome this addiction and that it is the best thing you can do for yourself (and your loved ones). Print out a copy of the post you wrote above or make a list explaining why you are quitting. Stay busy...call a friend, read a book, go to public places, watch a movie, find an online support group, join a gym. The lollipop suggestion was a great idea. Try toothpicks, or chew on a straw or stir stick. Sugar free gum or hard candy can also help. If you miss the feeling of holding a cig in your hand, then hold a pencil...I had a friend who did that and it helped him temendously, incl putting the pencil behind his ear.

If you can, learn to relax/meditate so to speak, and take deep breaths. You will notice more fresh air! And lastly, brush your teeth often...you will LOVE the feel and tasting things again. :lmao: :wakawaka: :wakawaka:

Best wishes,
Margaret

#14 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

:teeth: You can do it!!!!! You have the right attitude needed to make it happen. I bought a carton today and MY God the price!!! I will be with you shortly!! I promise!!! The dive kitty seems to be a good incentive. I was looking at the Dry Tortugas or Cozumel trip. If I can join you on your quest maybe I will make one of those trips!!! I will keep you posted!! I see this happening!! :lmao:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Go for it, Sissy! And much success to you when you select your quit date!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users