• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

First time buying gear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

should I go hit the LDS and grab whatever they recommend?
Check online at places like Scubatoys and grab a package?

If you could do it all over again what would you do?

Also, are there any brands/models that are best avoided?

Thanks in advance,

ThatJoeGuy

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

What kind of diving do you see in your future? Honestly, I would recommend calling SD partner Deep Sea Supply and getting a BC, then take his advice on fins (Jetfns), and a solid Reg set. Plenty of good options out there. "Packages" are usually the worst deals going, and I suggest you avoid them.

#3 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Aside from the mask/fins/snorkel/booties, I bought my first set of gear at my LDS used; it was fully serviced stuff they used for classes, and generally was a bit more robust to begin with to stand up to the abuse. Also, the cost was about half retail. Until you know this is the sport for you, why spend a ton of money?

Even now I buy used gear. My new used all-singing-and-dancing barely used computer, and my new used newly-serviced high performance regulator, were bought this past Winter at about half retail. Ebay is a wonderful thing, as is having a friend who is an equipment tech at my LDS. My new used Mobby's drysuit has two dives on it and was $300.

The only piece of major new gear (aside from wetsuits) I've purchased in the past several years is my BC, and that was in a moment of weakness.

I approach this scuba thing the same way I approached roadracing motorcycles--beyond a certain level of experience, only novices and morons pay full pop retail.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Another Good Queston ThatJoeGuy...your on a roll :)

I would buy my first set of gear from your LDS, because you will find that your LDS will give you better service after the sale than if you bring them gear you bought off line and then start having troubles with it. I buy middle-of- the-road quality gear because I can get more gear for my money. Once you get your primary dive gear and get used to it, then you can roll the dice and try finding bargains on E-bay and other on line merchants. If someday you find a great bargain on line with some used diving gear you have to factor in the price of getting it serviced before you use it.

thats my 2 psi

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#5 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

My only regret with my first set of gear is that I compromised on my computer. I regretted it every dive until I finally upgraded a few years later. This is your life, don't scrimp. Get what you need - especially your bc (I recommend a bp/wing or a harness/wing) and your regs . . . and your computer. :)
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

Choice of regs can be determined by type of diving, too. Cold water diving requires a more capable reg setup than warm water diving. Although mine can do cold water, it pretty much stays warm! :) But, it performs extremely well in warm water, is a "balanced" reg, and it breathes the same no matter what depth I am at or what position I am in under water. Some regs do not do so well.

I'm with Deb on the computer, too. If you'll ever plan to dive Nitrox, get a computer now that can handle air and nitrox both.

Personally, I will purchase many things on the internet, EXCEPT my BC and reg setup. Those are items that my life literally depends on, and I got those at my LDS because they're the ones to perform my annual service and I wanted to make sure 1) that they WOULD do the service (many won't on internet purchases), and 2) that they were authorized by the manufacturer to work on the gear.

I think everybody you ask who owns gear will tell you that the more dive experience the got, the more gear changes they make. New divers do tend to take their LDS's advice. Not every LDS keeps the diver's best interests in mind.....the LDS might be trying to get rid of slow-moving merchandise......
Posted Image

#7 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

I second the buy a good computer!! With at least Nitrox capability.

Almost any mid-upper priced name brand reg sold and serviced at your LDS will serve you well. That’s one item your LDS can be a big help.

As for a BC look around and rent as many types and brands as you can find until you find the one for you. A good used one out of a rental fleet is a great way to get a good deal on a recently serviced unit. And in a year or two you find one you like better you can get most of what you have in it back.

My first two BC's were rental sales, as well as my first reg. It was a long time ago and as a young active duty guy, pay was somewhat thin. I didn't want to spend a ton of cash on state of the art gear and not have any money to go diving! But I got a lot of service out of that gear. When I finely got rid of it, it didn't owe me a dime, I had several years experience and knew what I wanted to replace each piece. also as the technology had marched on, I was much more aware of what i wanted or needed from my gear!!

Good luck with you choices

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

I think everybody you ask who owns gear will tell you that the more dive experience the got, the more gear changes they make. New divers do tend to take their LDS's advice. Not every LDS keeps the diver's best interests in mind.....the LDS might be trying to get rid of slow-moving merchandise......

While I generally agree with this, there are exceptions. Quite frankly, most divers as they start out do not know what kind of diving will really interest them. I think the better an idea what kind of diving will interest the diver, the more they can be specific in their needs. I have re-purchased very little gear in my journey to where I am now. And that is primarily because I knew why I wanted to dive. My interest was in exploring the wrecks I had seen in my youth on the various educational shows. That allowed me to purchase gear tailored specifically to my needs. Luckily that gear also works beautifully for all the other diving I do, from shallow reefs to cave diving, etc.

The LDS often has the impossible task of trying to outfit people who have no idea of their true needs. Clearly, some do a better job of this than others. Some seem to let the profit incentive push them to sell gear that might not be in the divers' best interest. Sadly, new divers don't usually know the difference. I often find myself recommending cave gear to newer divers. Not because I feel the divers will eventually become cave divers, but because the gear is often of exceptional quality, and is remarkably flexible. It also retains much of it's value over time should the diver decide to purchase different gear down the road.

Best of luck to the new divers starting this rather difficult journey...

Oh, and on the issue of the computer, I think that if solid gas planning is done, one will find they won't get anywhere near the NDL on the tables if diving with an AL80. A lesson my non-computer owning dive buddy was rather amazed to learn the other week during out trip to the keys. Computers are nice, but make sure you are buying it for the right reason.

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

If I would have known then what I know know..
I would skip buying a BCD and go with a BP&W.
Originally bought a GREAT BCD.. still own it dove it for a lot of years..but it never fit just right....
I adapted my diving to deal with the "almost a good fit" of my BCD.

Switched to a BP&W.. with a hog harness.. perfect fit.

Borrow and test as much gear from dive buddies as you can.
Question your fellow divers on what gear they have and how they like it.
Figure out what type of diving you think you want to do in the future.
Don't scrimp on a computer... buy one that does air and nitrox..

Edited by Cold_H2O, 23 March 2009 - 10:56 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Also, are there any brands/models that are best avoided?

Voit Brand Regs made in the 70s :)
The Name Game.
Every manufacture has different levels of quality, I doubt if any of the manufactures are going to call there equipment low end in quality. I found that Mares formerly Decor has a nice selection of "the middle of the road equipment" Regs and BCDs I also have some Scuba Pro equiment that I take with me when I travel out of the country USA because most countries carry alot of Scuba Pro 1st and 2nd stage parts because Scuba Pro has been in business for a long time.

If you could do it all over again what would you do?

I would have never rented any dive gear (period) I did tho, when I was just getting started and I ended up with a BCD with a sticky inflater valve and a 1st stage that locked-up on me at 90ft..all in the same day, If I didnt have my diving instructors advise in what to do if anything like that happened still fresh in my head..that would have ended my diving carreer. From day one in my OW training I knew I wanted to find things underwater, like wrecks etc... so I have tailored my equipment purchases towards that goal.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#11 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

I bought a top end regulator.. have NEVER regretted the purchase.
In 11 years and almost 1,000 dives.. have yet to expirence a "free flow".

I started diving cold water.. bought gear suited for my diving environment.
Dove weekly and year round.. bought gear that would hold up under constant use.

How you plan on diving should determin what gear you need.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

What kind of diving do you see in your future? Honestly, I would recommend calling SD partner Deep Sea Supply and getting a BC, then take his advice on fins (Jetfns), and a solid Reg set. Plenty of good options out there. "Packages" are usually the worst deals going, and I suggest you avoid them.

If you buy via SingleDivers.com you'll get a much better price! :)

And we have partners for regs, fins etc. where you'll get a much better price.

And Perrone is right...what kind of diving are you doing now and where do you see yourself going in the future or would like to be prepared IF you went that direction!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

My only regret with my first set of gear is that I compromised on my computer. I regretted it every dive until I finally upgraded a few years later. This is your life, don't scrimp. Get what you need - especially your bc (I recommend a bp/wing or a harness/wing) and your regs . . . and your computer. :)

One of our other partners is Cochran who make excellent computers...its the one I now wear after years of diving other brands. They will let you try one for free if you take a trip with us (see my signature line for the links to our trips) and they will give you an excellent discount if you use one first before you buy...but they will still give a great discount if you buy via our SD partner that sells the cochrans for them. Just let us know if you are interested.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Regs are essentially ALL made on the same patents. Afterall the basic mechanics don't change much. We have a thread under the Technician's Bench about regs that are easy to work on and it covers some specific brands that are easy to repair. This is important if you want this to be a 'one time' investment.

Many manufacturer's do not want to be in the service/repair game so they make things disposable instead of repairable. Also how easy a reg is to repair is often a sign of how easy it is to use and how well it stands up to use/abuse. I know some of you will refute that statement but I've personally seen it watching Sr Tech repair hundreds of regs.... :)

And finally...new and improved are not always new and improved....Bubski is right... often the middle of the price range regs are the best...they are the work horses and they have been debugged of any issues and they usually are made to last and run smooth....no bells and whistles to fail/flail or break.

I hope that helps! kamala

formerly...

#15 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

My recommendation is to join a local dive club and dive with more experienced divers if possible. Ask them about their gear and why they chose each item. Most people will have strong opinions about their gear. Try asking the other divers if they have gear that you could borrow. That way, you can try stuff out before you buy it. Even if the divers are reluctant to let you use their equipment, they can tell you why they chose the particular gear that they use.

The problem with some dive shops is that they will sell you what they have in stock. For example, some shops carry Aeris stuff. They will tell you why Aeris is superior but may never tell you about an Apeks product (Those brands were just used as an example - I am not saying that Aeris is bad).

I was fortunate to have been given good advice when I was in the market for new gear. Most of it I listened to and some I did not with mixed results.

One thing I regret buying is a snorkel.

You are doing a smart thing by asking the questions here. If you have specific questions about gear or if you have narrowed a search down to a few brands or models, please ask. Everyone will be supportive and there may be others that will be interested in the answers as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users