• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How much gas should I come up with

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

Interesting article, but still adhering to the idea that gas consumption can be calculated. It CAN of course, but on the understanding that these calculations become WAY off if extreme stress or workload is introduced. I referred to Public Safety Diving, which is where this scenario is most likely to be encountered, and said that consumption can easily rise by a factor of 7. In case this means nothing to some people, this means that a tank that would have lasted you 21 minutes will now only last three! Many people have died trying PSD with inadequate training or equipment, always because they overlooked or didn't understand this specific point.

Like most of us I do calculate my gas consumption and rely on that to an extent, but always with an eye to the above.

#17 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Interesting article, but still adhering to the idea that gas consumption can be calculated. It CAN of course, but on the understanding that these calculations become WAY off if extreme stress or workload is introduced. I referred to Public Safety Diving, which is where this scenario is most likely to be encountered, and said that consumption can easily rise by a factor of 7. In case this means nothing to some people, this means that a tank that would have lasted you 21 minutes will now only last three! Many people have died trying PSD with inadequate training or equipment, always because they overlooked or didn't understand this specific point.

Like most of us I do calculate my gas consumption and rely on that to an extent, but always with an eye to the above.

Peter - you're raising a great point.

Gas calculations look good on paper - but like all other plans, don't survive first contact with the enemy.

If you need that gas because of an extremis situation - how long will it last? Will your buddy stick to their SAC as they have an equal opportunity for your gas as you?

Good news is the situation is likely NOT to occur at the exact PLANNED end-of-dive moment - so you're likely aborting the dive with less than the planned bottom time. Bad news, as Peter says - you can't reasonably calculate SAC during extremis - if you could - you might not even get off the boat.

So what would the avid expert readers out there recommend?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#18 TCdamsel

TCdamsel

Angel & Charter SD Supporter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Board Status:Planning my next dive trip!
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Peter, by Public Safety Diving, are you referring to rescue diving, or am I again missing some subtle diving humor? Please be gentle with me while I'm learning :lmao:
Every man and woman is born into the world to do something unique and something distinctive and if he or she does not do it, it will never be done.Benjamin E. Mays

Have a question...get an answer. Email: angels@singledivers.com

#19 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

copied from PSDA website:

PSDA & Water Rescue Inc. is the largest public safety diving and water rescue organization world wide.

PSDA & Water Rescue training directors are all professional Firefighters, Rescue and Law enforcement officers.

PSDA & WR membership is open to professional, reserve, and volunteer dive & rescue teams and their members. Group and individual membership is available.

Intrested sport diving instructors are welcome to cross over.

Special cross overs and incentives are available to members of other public safety training groups.

PSDA also offers scholarships for training to members of public safety departments. Scholarships are available to Law enforcement, Rescue and Firefighters, both full time and volunteer.

PSDA & Water Rescue has been training public safety divers and water rescue members since 1980. PSDA & Water Rescue was originally the public safety division of IDEA.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes. Ss

Edited by scubaski, 19 May 2009 - 07:20 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users