• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I finally did it...I'm diving a backplate and wing from OMS!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

I finally did it...I'm diving a backplate and wing from OMS!
So who's finally done it?

Its been a long time in coming and Ms Que aka Sea Urchin has crossed over the the LEAN and TRIM side of diving...not to mention saving a few pounds in her luggage as well!
Posted Image
Sea Urchin will be diving the new OMS Comfort Harness with quick release so she can easily get in and out of her gear with special NON-MOVABLE welded 45 degree angle d-rings on the chest (so they won't slip when she goes to clip something off using braille). She is getting a stainless steel backplate to take 5 pounds off her waist and better distribute weight onto her back plus her setup is now negative so she needs LESS weight to sink. She is adding the titanium line cutter with pouch that slides on vertical or horizontal onto her harness as well the side weight pouches so she can have some ditchable weight. (They attach via d-rings on the weight belt part of the harness.) The set up also has a crotch strap to help secure the bc from sliding up on her. To learn more click here!

She got a great price due to our special OMS partnership and she'll be trying everything out on the upcoming Fl Keys Trip!

OMS ORDER LOG:

1. Que aka Sea Urchin OMS comfort harness + 35# black donut wing + stainless backplate + titanium line cutter and pouch + 2 ditchable weight pouches. Paid in full

Edited by diverdeb, 07 May 2009 - 07:25 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

I bought an OMS wing after last year's North Carolina trip and am very happy with it. Have about 50 dives on it. And yes, I am using about 10lbs less in weight than I did with my old BC, and that's with an aluminum backplate.

I am curious about her dropping weight in her luggage though. I was diving with an Oceanic LX Pro and noticed no real difference in my bag weight at the airport. I would think with stainless steel, it would go up, not down.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

Glad you liked your set up...10 pounds is a lot of weight to drop off the belt. I do not think most people realize how bouyant their bc's really are.

And yes she should be a pound or two lighter in her luggage! (Some bc's are really heavy!)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:16 AM

Been diving a Halcyon backplate and wing for about a year now. It's easier for me to get and stay horizontal with the BP/W as opposed to a BC. Like everyone else, I was able to drop several pounds going from the BC to the BP/W. Something else I've noticed is that when I'm in a BC for class I'm not nearly as comfortable as in the BP/W.
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#5 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

I only have 5 dives on the new BP/W setup but I'm liking it. Still tweaking a few things. I'm glad I made the switch though!!
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#6 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

I've jumped over to a hybrid bp/w. Dove a week (10dives) in Belize, took the old jacket bc down just in case, but planning on Bonaire as a bp/w trip only. Still need to outfit new rig w/ a couple of add-ons to reduce hoses and go more steamline. Took a little getting use to amount of air to inflate on surface waiting for drift pickup and adjusting trim. Very light warm water travel rig that fits neatly into carryon luggage. I was surprised with the very small amount of seawater I drained from the bladder after each day of diving. I used crotch strap for a couple of days but removed and felt more comfortably with giant stride off boat dive platform, I may reinstall if jumping in from a higher pier :) .
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#7 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

I have had my BP & W a bit over a year and I love it. I started on a SS plate but have since gone to an aluminum one as i don't need any weight with my double hp100's in a 3mil with a 5mil hooded vest. I may go back to the SS plate for the dry suit or throw a few pounds in the weight pockets. It's kind of a hastle to switch from SS to aluminum as I don't have all the Bits and pieces and add-ons for two complete sets (YET :) )

One of these days I want to dive one of my HP120's with a single tank adapter on the AL plate just to see how it goes.

see you in Bonaire :)

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Been diving a BP&W for over a year now...

LOVE IT !!! Wish someone would have told me about the BP&W when I first started diving.

Went with a SS plate usually dive a HP119 with it....
Hog harness and Oxycheq wing.

Twinned up the HP80's.. and I have yet to get them in the water.
Can't wait to give them a try and see how it feels.

In Puget Sound I add very little weight even with a drysuit..
In Fresh water (aka Texas quarry or lake) I am a bit heavy...

(Anyone want to buy a used Zeagle Ranger BCD????)

Edited by Cold_H2O, 28 April 2009 - 04:08 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#9 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

1. Que ww got your ck for your OMS Comfort Harness with stainless steel backplate, 35# black donut wing, titanium line cutter and pouch and dumpable side weight pouches! :cool1:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#10 SKIP

SKIP

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100-150

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

Started using the OMS SS BW with the 35 # wing in 2005. The SS BP with STA actually was too much weight so I am using the aluminum BP for warm weather diving and the SS with the dry suit. I have been experimenting with different dumpable weight pouches, but can't find what I need. I found an OMS weight pouch at an LDS, but it was not dumpable. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Skip

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

I've used a wing for over 10 years and in the right circumstances like it. I rarely use a BP though as I generally find them uncomfortable.

Down here in Belize we've given up on OMS. When I was a retailer I placed several orders with them but nothing resulted, and I gather from other dealers that they've had the same experience. DiveRite by comparison are wonderful to deal with.

#12 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Started using the OMS SS BW with the 35 # wing in 2005. The SS BP with STA actually was too much weight so I am using the aluminum BP for warm weather diving and the SS with the dry suit. I have been experimenting with different dumpable weight pouches, but can't find what I need. I found an OMS weight pouch at an LDS, but it was not dumpable. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Skip

Hi Skip,

I got the new ditchable weight pouches from OMS. Go to OMS website and check it out. As for service from OMS, you gotta have the right connection. Bill aka OTWdiver is bringing my rig down on Saturday setting it up for a custom fit for me. :rolleyes: He's making sure I know what I'm doing with it for the Florida trip next week. I'll keep you posted on how easy or hard it is to dump the weight after the trip.

Talk about top notch personal service,
Que :birthday:

#13 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

Been diving my BP/W since 2005.

Congratulations Que, on making the right choice!!!
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

As for service from OMS, you gotta have the right connection

How about being a registered dealer?

#15 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Peter,

You should have went to Kamala's wedding and complain to John (OMS President) himself. :D He was Bill's Best Man and you got a captive audience since he couldn't run away. :lmao:

I'm teasing,
Que

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users