• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Muck Diving?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

So there's shore diving, boat diving, even liveaboard diving....but what is meant by the phrase "muck diving"?

#2 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

So there's shore diving, boat diving, even liveaboard diving....but what is meant by the phrase "muck diving"?

A MUCK diving video here
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

Muck diving is the best there is. As the video says, you are usually shallow, on a sandy or rocky bottom. There is often nothing to seemingly look at, such as no or minimal corals. It requires you to look, and look for things. When there are nudibranchs, they are brilliantly colored against the background, but keep looking, and also you will find.... many varieties of octopus... squids, crabs, shrimps, nudibranchs, mantis shrimp, dwarf lionfish, lobsters (little ones), pegasis seamoths, flying gurnards, inimicus, seahorses, and the list goes on....

The thing is that many of the critters are cammoflaged and will not immediately be obvious at first glance. The muck will lure you to keep diving there and either you will learn that there is no better environment to dive in or you will not enjoy it at all.

I love muck. The muckier the better..... :birthday: :birthday:

#4 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:36 AM

I love muck diving as well. There is a dive site on Utila that most people I have been diving with there don't like it, they say that it's just sand. Well the last time I dove that sight, I spent an hour on the sand and found two bat fish, 4 seahorses, several nudibranchs and actually got a garden eel to come out of its hole about 8 inches from my mask.

On most any dive if you sit still long enough something interesting is going to swim by, crawl by or come out of a hole near you. Lots of fun.

J
Sea Turtle advocate!

#5 skdiver

skdiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW in the process of rescue
  • Logged Dives:42

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

Muck diving eh. lol

Around here most of our dives our like that. I do a couple commercial jobs for our LDS and thats muck. I can barley see to tghe end of my mask. It like night dives with out the light. SUPER COOL
Live in regina saskatchewan
dive all around the world
Canadian forces

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Muck diving eh. lol

Around here most of our dives our like that. I do a couple commercial jobs for our LDS and thats muck. I can barley see to tghe end of my mask. It like night dives with out the light. SUPER COOL

Uhmmmm.... that was a "muck" dive not a "mucky" dive... quite a bit of a difference. So what sort of critters are up there in your world?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users