• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Equipment Recall (April 2009)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

Scitech Recall Drysuit Inflation Hose - Removal of Flow Restriction Insert
April 9, 2009

RECALL for removal of the Flow Restriction Insert in hoses produced September 2006 thru March 2009. This may affect divers of drysuits from various manufacturers such as Mobby's (Mares), Bare, DiveRite, Whites, Trelleborg Viking , etc.

DO NOT dive with a hose subject to this recall until the insert has been removed by knowledgeable personnel. Contact your dealer that sold you the hose/drysuit (in which the hose was included) for more information.

When filing a recall at your dealer use "Form Customer LP Hose Insert Removal"

Documents regarding RECALL for removal of the Flow Restriction Insert:

Instructions on how to determine if hose is subject to the recall and interpretation of batchcode and sheet for all batches that are subject for removal.

Link to Instruction video on youtube.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Wakemaker

Wakemaker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver (is that really

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:22 AM

Scitech Recall Drysuit Inflation Hose - Removal of Flow Restriction Insert
April 9, 2009

Mobby's...

DO NOT dive with a hose subject to this recall until the insert has been removed...

I'm not drysuit certified yet. I've been considering replacing my SiTech hose.

The inflator hose flow restrictor is apparently there because the suit's exhaust valve can handle only so much flow. I had a personal friend, in the late 80s who showed me his DUI suit he tried to patch back to together after a problem of this nature. Nearly every seam in the suit was damaged. To me that trouble is secondary to the possible injury issues.

So, I gather the plastic flow restrictor can travel and block the valve open. That's bad.
And if you remove the flow restrictor and the valve gets stuck open an unwanted ascent results. That's bad.

What other inflator hose can I acquire that will have the same flow rate as the SiTech, except, with a fixed restrictor? It needs to fit the Mare's by Mooby drysuit configuration.
SDHH in Seattle this weekend? Hum? What did you say? I just need to know. Tell me it is so!

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

The inflator hose flow restrictor is apparently there because the suit's exhaust valve can handle only so much flow. I had a personal friend, in the late 80s who showed me his DUI suit he tried to patch back to together after a problem of this nature. Nearly every seam in the suit was damaged. To me that trouble is secondary to the possible injury issues.

So, I gather the plastic flow restrictor can travel and block the valve open. That's bad.
And if you remove the flow restrictor and the valve gets stuck open an unwanted ascent results. That's bad.

Reportedly the insert could become dislodged, travel into first stage, and cause a blockage of air to the second stages. That means no airflow to your second stage regulator. It is my understanding that with updated regulators, many have built in OPVs or overpressurization valves to avoid a malfunctioning first stage to result in high pressure flowing into low pressure hoses thus avoiding the scenario you are describing. I had a massive first stage malfunction on an argon bottle attached to my drysuit a few years ago right before I was starting a 150' technical dive. The first stage had an OPV and so the high pressure blew out of the first stage and not into the lp connected to my drysuit. If you have a regulator that does not have a built in OPV, you can purchace an OPV for a little as $15 an insert it into an open port on your first stage. OPVs are very small and extend out of the port only about the length of the plug screwed into the port (so only about twice the size of a standard plug port).

If someone with more technical knowledge than me could chime in on this and correct any of the above, if necessary, that would be great. :lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users