• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Global Entry Program - No More Lines Coming Back Into Country

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

I noticed in a trip report someone just wrote about long lines coming back into the country. Well, you can stop all of that if you have about $100 and can pass an FBI background check.

Some of you may not know about the experimental program the U.S. Customs and Border Protection has called Global Entry Program. It is a simple program where you fill out an application, agree to a background check and go to one interview, spend $100 and suddenly you never have to wait in those long lines coming back into the country.

So far the only airports that support the program are: John F. Kennedy International Airport, Washington-Dulles International Airport, George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston), Los Angeles International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Chicago O’Hare International Airport, and Miami International Airport.

I have been using the program since the very beginning and it works beautifully out of Houston.

CLICK HERE - Global Entry Website

Signature under construction :)

#2 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

It would be nice if they tied it to the FlyClear program since you have to do the same background check for that as well.

#3 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

I noticed in a trip report someone just wrote about long lines coming back into the country. Well, you can stop all of that if you have about $100 and can pass an FBI background check.

Some of you may not know about the experimental program the U.S. Customs and Border Protection has called Global Entry Program. It is a simple program where you fill out an application, agree to a background check and go to one interview, spend $100 and suddenly you never have to wait in those long lines coming back into the country.

So far the only airports that support the program are: John F. Kennedy International Airport, Washington-Dulles International Airport, George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston), Los Angeles International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Chicago O’Hare International Airport, and Miami International Airport.

I have been using the program since the very beginning and it works beautifully out of Houston.

CLICK HERE - Global Entry Website

$100 Lifetime or per year??? Thanks for heads up
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#4 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

According to the pamphlet, its good for 5 years. But you have to complete the application in person, so if you don't live in one of the entry cities, its a bit difficult to take care of. Hopefully it will expand into other cities with international flights.

#5 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Cool update:

Starting June 9, 2009 fingerprint readers on all Global Entry airport kiosks will be changed to an upgraded technology. Instead of providing your right index and left index prints, you will now be required to provide the prints of your four (4) fingers of your right hand or left hand, (no thumb).

Here is the official notice:

Posted Image

Click here - For Global Entry Update

#6 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Cool update:

Starting June 9, 2009 fingerprint readers on all Global Entry airport kiosks will be changed to an upgraded technology. Instead of providing your right index and left index prints, you will now be required to provide the prints of your four (4) fingers of your right hand or left hand, (no thumb).
Click here - For Global Entry Update

I saw that in Los Angeles this past Tuesday! Not everyone was required to use it, but the folks are ready for it.

#7 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

Global Entry Members,

Great news! Global Entry is expanding to an additional 13 locations. On August 24, 2009 Global Entry Kiosks will be available at the following 20 airports:

Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS)

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD)

Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW)

Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)

Ft. Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport (FLL)

George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston (IAH)

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)

Honolulu International Airport (HNL)

John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

McCarran International Airport, Las Vegas (LAS)

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

Miami International Airport (MIA)

Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)

Orlando International Airport (MCO)

Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)

San Francisco International Airport (SFO)

San Juan-Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (SJU)

Orlando-Sanford International Airport (SFB)

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport-SeaTac (SEA)

Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)

Go to www.globalentry.gov for more information.

#8 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Will definitely apply. If I get rejected, maybe I will find out why I am frequently "randomly" selected for extra screening....

#9 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

With my job (and my clearances) I got the Clearfly program, but found that it was pretty limited. It seemed that when I really needed to bypass lines, the station was closed.

I can’t believe that they are duplicating it (I hope they are just integrating with them.)

$100 for 5 years is awesome!
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#10 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

Moose, I have used it 4 or 5 times at Houston (IAH) without hesitation. In fact, I have never had to wait on one of the kiosks. I just walk right up to it.

Where I do feel like it pits me against the evil stares of the non-players is the second line you go to after you have your luggage. The extra line is not well marked and right next to the others and as I walk right past all of them I have to use the same officer. So when suddenly I am to someone's right and they have been waiting their turn and suddenly I walk up and the officer they have been watching looks at me and chooses me in front of them, I have gotten stares and even vocal comments.

One time, a lady made a "disgust" noise, and I just turned to her and held up my Global Entry coupon (from the Kiosk) and said, "Global Entry Program, best $100 you'll ever spend." :fish2:

#11 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

Ok, I'm in--- you convinced me :fish2:

I didn't realize you actually get a free ride by both the passport control and the customs lines...

And I agree, if they can do this, it would be nice if they could put similar kiosks on the "other" side of the airport to bypass the departure lines-- (I was never impressed by the Clear deal...)
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#12 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

I had the Clear card which was great until they suddenly without any warning shut down. No refund, nothing. And of course now we don't know where our information went. I'm not sure I would rush into any of this again. Clear was privately run and looks like they ran out of money.....our money.

#13 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

we don't know where our information went

I can totally relate to this, because of my background. But because of who I am today I am already so checked out and in Federal Databases having "Big Brother" with another hook in me doesn't matter.

I have a concealed-carry handgun license, which requires extensive background clearance, add onto that I am a Federally Licensed Gun Dealer, which has even more checks, and I am in the Veteran Admin Medical system too ... they know me in many Federal Computers already.

Even if the program closed up today I got my money's worth.

I have only used it returning into Houston, so I have no experience with other cities, but I have nothing but praise for it here.

#14 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

I have no problem getting through immigration. I've always gotten through immigration; whether it was DFW, IAH, LAX, or FLL; just to wait on my baggage, so I could clear customs [& the only problem there was an agent asking a grey haired old fart about his almost month long trip to Indonesia, that might have lasted all of a minute]; then to get in another line to recheck my baggage, and have myself & carry-ons re-scanned [like I ever left a "secure area"], so then I could wait anywhere from an hour to 3 hours for a connecting flight!!!

Am I missing something??? What is my return on $100???

Having to spend a extra 2 or 3 minutes waiting on my luggage [that is if it made the puddle jumper flight from GGT].

Just my 50 psi [I'm an air hog].

Bill

Edited by ScubaTex, 15 August 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#15 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Am I missing something???

Sometimes I come back into Houston and there are very few people in the cue.

Other times I have processed through and had to wait 45 minutes for my friend (who was on the same flight) to catch up to me.

I'll also admit, I like the feeling of being able to walk up and walk through all those people. It's the same feeling I get when I get the free upgrade to First Class. Sometimes the $100 is just a treat for yourself.

Another benefit (for me) is I live here in Houston, so it just means I get to my vehicle that much quicker. I'm not usually connecting to another flight, but now with these additional airports I may get experience GEP in another city.

I'm sharing this information on you guys so you can benefit from it too, but if you choose not to use it then it just makes the line shorter for me :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users