• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Global Entry Program - No More Lines Coming Back Into Country

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

1. I have no problem getting through immigration. I've always gotten through immigration];

2. then to get in another line to recheck my baggage

3. and have myself & carry-ons re-scanned [like I ever left a "secure area"],

so then I could wait anywhere from an hour to 3 hours for a connecting flight!!!

Am I missing something??? What is my return on $100???
4. Having to spend a extra 2 or 3 minutes waiting on my luggage [that is if it made the puddle jumper flight from GGT].

Just my 50 psi [I'm an air hog].

Bill

Bill

1. I do not think that it's that you can get through immigration... we all eventually get through immigration. I also guess you have never entered the US in LAX, JFK or IAD (Washington Dulles), or MIA, because those lines can take well over 1 hour before you see any movement. When 5-7 fully loaded 747s all arrive about the same time..... you get the picture. Walking right up to the front of the line (or to NO line) is the benefit.

2. Waiting to recheck luggage is the airline's fault, if there is a line. What airline do you fly? I have never had to wait for a line to recheck my luggage, as it already has the tag on it for my final destination. Now if you were to change airlines to one that does not have an interline agreement, that would only be the flyer's fault.

3. You + carry on luggage must be rescreened, because you had access to you checked luggage during the customs process. Remember when they tell you to make sure you repack your duty free items (if liquid) into your luggage upon arrival when you have a connection? Well, you can just as easily remove your dive knife from your checked luggage, put it into your carry on and board the plane...Unless you are re-screened. And as much as I b*tch about TSA, I have found the most polite TSOs and shortest lines after customs to get back into the airport, at most of my US entry points.

4. Except when diving some of us travel only with carryon luggage for pleasure trips. Thus no luggage wait.

Plus it looks like there is a designated Customs exit line, in addition to the Kiosk for immigration.

I'm getting one of these.... How long does it take? Can I get one before I leave to Asia in 2 weeks???

Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 16 August 2009 - 06:41 AM.

#17 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

Bill

1. I do not think that it's that you can get through immigration... we all eventually get through immigration. I also guess you have never entered the US in LAX, JFK or IAD (Washington Dulles), or MIA, because those lines can take well over 1 hour before you see any movement. When 5-7 fully loaded 747s all arrive about the same time..... you get the picture. Walking right up to the front of the line (or to NO line) is the benefit.

2. Waiting to recheck luggage is the airline's fault, if there is a line. What airline do you fly? I have never had to wait for a line to recheck my luggage, as it already has the tag on it for my final destination. Now if you were to change airlines to one that does not have an interline agreement, that would only be the flyer's fault.

3. You + carry on luggage must be rescreened, because you had access to you checked luggage during the customs process. Remember when they tell you to make sure you repack your duty free items (if liquid) into your luggage upon arrival when you have a connection? Well, you can just as easily remove your dive knife from your checked luggage, put it into your carry on and board the plane...Unless you are re-screened. And as much as I b*tch about TSA, I have found the most polite TSOs and shortest lines after customs to get back into the airport, at most of my US entry points.

4. Except when diving some of us travel only with carryon luggage for pleasure trips. Thus no luggage wait.

Plus it looks like there is a designated Customs exit line, in addition to the Kiosk for immigration.

I'm getting one of these.... How long does it take? Can I get one before I leave to Asia in 2 weeks???

Robin

I'm sorry if my post came across as complaining, it was not intended to be. I find the jobs done by ICE, TSA, and the airlines to be as efficient as possible. When you compare the time going through the whole process compared to the total time of the entire trip, it's insignificant. If you really want to amaze yourself, calculate your total trip time or cost against your total bottom time of the trip. Again, I'm not complaining, I enjoy diving, and I'm willing to pay the $$$ and time to do it.

Yes, I have entered through LAX, but it was a morning arrival from Tokyo, which was no problem. As far as MIA, I'll get to pass through there next month on my way back from St. Lucia. I would naturally like my entry point to be DFW, since it's my home airport, but sometimes, it's not possible.

I'm still in the planning stage for this http://www.singlediv...showtopic=18143 trip. It appears you have dived the Phillipines extensively. I would appreciate your input concerning; the resorts or liveaboards you've dived with, the diving conditions in the March-April time frame, and the domestic flgihts I would have to make to get to the various dive locations.

Thank you,
Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#18 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

I'm still in the planning stage for this http://www.singlediv...showtopic=18143 trip. It appears you have dived the Phillipines extensively. I would appreciate your input concerning; the resorts or liveaboards you've dived with, the diving conditions in the March-April time frame, and the domestic flgihts I would have to make to get to the various dive locations.

Thank you,
Bill

See my post regarding PI diving in the other thread you mention.
RD

#19 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

It took them about half a day to give me a preliminary approval on line, and I have my interview scheduled the first day they're offering them in Philly, Aug 24. My understanding is that the interview is where they'll do fingerprints and give you a sticker for your passport and activate you, but I won't know for sure until it happens.

My push is to get one before my trip to Europe on Labor Day. :teeth: Although for that trip, probably less necessary since I fly back directly to Philadelphia; the big reason I'm interested in Global Entry is for a better chance to make connections. I haven't missed a connection yet, but I've also had the airlines offer me itineraries that would have had a missed connection due long customs lines in the past.

I may also look at NEXUS, which may be free with Global Entry (or maybe the other way around) for trips to Canada. I went up to Montreal a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed myself immensely (now that I'm learning a little French) and could see some number of weekend trips up there.

#20 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

Went in for my interview today, and got approved for Global Entry. Basic interview; they're interested in confirming the information you'd already entered into the system and finding out why you want the pass. Took a little extra time as it was the first day they offered it in Philly, so I was a training example, but still it was maybe 45 minutes all told. My short-term parking was between 30 and 60 minutes, so it was under an hour including getting into the airport and finding the CBP office and getting out again.

Lots of warnings about my membership being canceled if I'm found breaking the rules (not declaring food, etc).

#21 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Went in for my interview today, and got approved for Global Entry. Basic interview; they're interested in confirming the information you'd already entered into the system and finding out why you want the pass. Took a little extra time as it was the first day they offered it in Philly, so I was a training example, but still it was maybe 45 minutes all told. My short-term parking was between 30 and 60 minutes, so it was under an hour including getting into the airport and finding the CBP office and getting out again.

Lots of warnings about my membership being canceled if I'm found breaking the rules (not declaring food, etc).

Did you get your card/ pass the same day? Or are they going to send it to you later. Applied online yesterday. Since I live in San Diego, and I would have to do the interview in LA, I am trying to figure out if I can interview on the same day I leave LAX for the Philippines... and if I will leave pass in hand? Or whether it would be better to try and make it up there before the trip...

Thanks
Rosa

#22 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Did you get your card/ pass the same day? Or are they going to send it to you later. Applied online yesterday. Since I live in San Diego, and I would have to do the interview in LA, I am trying to figure out if I can interview on the same day I leave LAX for the Philippines... and if I will leave pass in hand? Or whether it would be better to try and make it up there before the trip...

Thanks
Rosa

Hmmm, I think I answered my own question. Looks like you just need your passport and fingers :teeth:

#23 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks
Rosa

Rosa,
When and where in Philippines are you going???

Robin

#24 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

Thanks
Rosa

Rosa,
When and where in Philippines are you going???

Robin

Robin,

going to Atlantis Puerto Galera last week October for diving. I read your post saying it was not as good as some of the other sites, but that was the location picked by the group of friends I am going with. I will definitely be avoiding the "girlie pick up places". I figure if I like it, I can always go back and explore the other sites. Then we are doing land-based touring of Hong Kong and Macau for the next week.

Rosa

#25 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm, I think I answered my own question. Looks like you just need your passport and fingers :teeth:

And face. You need your face as well; I think they use facial recognition software.

They give you a CBP sticker in the back of your passport in case the machines are down or not working that lets the passport control officer know you're in the Global Entry program (and why you're cutting in line).

I wonder how or if my continuing weight loss will affect the facial recognition? Probably shouldn't be much since I believe it uses geometries between eyes, nose & mouth that don't change much, but I guess I'll find out. :lmao:

#26 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Assuming they grant you an approval, it should activate immediately. They had me use a "practice" kiosk they had set up in the office, so the data was in the system before I left the office. I had email waiting when I got home telling me my status had changed in GOES, and the change was my acceptance letter.

#27 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

I flew right through customs and was in my truck in minutes today. I love not having to fill the paperwork out on the plane either.

Although, I had extra cookies left over and when I read what you wrote Fordan I took them out of my "luggage" and moved them to my carry on.

I'm not screwing up this privilege.

Another funny thing was there was this guy who passes me up on the long walk from the planes to immigration. He's really long-striding and looking back over his shoulder to note his progress in leaving the pack behind. I watch him with a grin as we make the right turn into the "big room" and see him get at the back of the line of hundreds of people. To his credit he had moved a little bit by the time I got past the kiosk and went around to get my luggage.

C
Signature under construction :)

#28 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

Assuming they grant you an approval, it should activate immediately. They had me use a "practice" kiosk they had set up in the office, so the data was in the system before I left the office. I had email waiting when I got home telling me my status had changed in GOES, and the change was my acceptance letter.

Thanks!!! I have my interview set up for Friday evening. I will drive up to LA to get it done. Pretty impressive how quick it was. I only applied online 3 days ago.

#29 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

I flew right through customs and was in my truck in minutes today. I love not having to fill the paperwork out on the plane either.

Although, I had extra cookies left over and when I read what you wrote Fordan I took them out of my "luggage" and moved them to my carry on.

I'm not screwing up this privilege.

Another funny thing was there was this guy who passes me up on the long walk from the planes to immigration. He's really long-striding and looking back over his shoulder to note his progress in leaving the pack behind. I watch him with a grin as we make the right turn into the "big room" and see him get at the back of the line of hundreds of people. To his credit he had moved a little bit by the time I got past the kiosk and went around to get my luggage.

C

For food, I would have thought they mean raw/ plant/ animal products that can transfer pests etc. Do they really include processed and cooked stuff like cookies? Guess I will find out on Friday.

#30 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

Definitely will look into this for me and Sandy. I all ready have a security clearance so that part should be a no brainer for them. Just have to get the starfish with me to JFK airport.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users