• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

motivational ideas for my daughter?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I've made the offer of OW classes for my daughter. I've even got her an Rx mask.

prerequisite: read the book and watch the video (required of any person before this class anyway)

she's already attended a discover scuba class and enjoyed it (even though she couldn't see well (before I got the mask)

I've offered hands on demos/help with all the equipment and help with any questions.

I think I've done everything I can, I can't read the book for her and the video, well that's easy enough for both of us to sit down and do (read the book first).

Year before last, the incentive kicker to the class was to do the CWT here and OW in FL (just like I did) followed by a trip to the Dry Tortougas... that didn't do it. Even talk of taking her to Cozumel hasn't been enough.

I don't know what the deal is, she is 15, so maybe other factors might be an issue (typical teenager stuff(?))

One remote possibility might be the financial aspect, but I've assured her I got it all covered. Any flying we would do is covered by frequent flier miles. we do well, but we're not living in 'luxury'. there is no want for anything.

I want to provide her this opportunity, as with so many other things we've done, it is something that she can take with her the rest of her life. So many kids don't get a fractions of the opportunities I've given her.

I'd like some other perspectives, I'm probably over looking something. I don't think I'm pushing anything on her.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

Did she have any issues with water you were aware of or perhaps not aware of? Has she seen Jaws, The Deep, or the Jessica Alba movie and have any lingering concerns about how safe diving is due to movie exploits?

Is there other things going on in her life that could be affecting her general desire to learn to dive? Is your wife subtly against so she feels she might get caught in the middle?

Does she feel that any parent or authority figure thinks that 15 is too young to learn to dive so she is wrestling with that?

Just tossing out ideas...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

Did she have any issues with water you were aware of or perhaps not aware of? Has she seen Jaws, The Deep, or the Jessica Alba movie and have any lingering concerns about how safe diving is due to movie exploits?

Is there other things going on in her life that could be affecting her general desire to learn to dive? Is your wife subtly against so she feels she might get caught in the middle?

Does she feel that any parent or authority figure thinks that 15 is too young to learn to dive so she is wrestling with that?

Just tossing out ideas...

I don't have a wife (or gf) :teeth: and I don't think her mother is against it (she hasn't been too much of a problem when it comes to my daughter doing anything (as long as she doesn't have to pay for it) :fish2:

I don't think any movie is the problem. I'm thinking it might be that she's too lazy or just having a hard time getting started or motivated to do this. All the others I've talked to have thought that she was crazy for not taking me up on the offer.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

I don't have a wife (or gf) :teeth: and I don't think her mother is against it (she hasn't been too much of a problem when it comes to my daughter doing anything (as long as she doesn't have to pay for it) :fish2:

I don't think any movie is the problem. I'm thinking it might be that she's too lazy or just having a hard time getting started or motivated to do this. All the others I've talked to have thought that she was crazy for not taking me up on the offer.

Well you've eliminated some of the possible issues...

However you should NEVER push anyone to do something that has as many life altering consequences as diving does. When she is ready...she will be ready. This hesitation may be an indication that she still needs a bit more time to handle all the 'serious aspects' of diving. Or perhaps she does not like the idea of another class and since school has just ended the timing may be wrong.

Regardless I would offer some great incentives but let her know that they will be there when she's ready. I think it would be a mistake to push her into doing something until she is really ready. I would see if other 15's think the offer is great...perhaps you could offer a vacation with one of her g/f's once she is certified. Of course adults would think the offer is great...but do other 15 years old?

Is it possible to get another one of her friends interested or even just do a Discover Scuba? Perhaps she needs some others her age to do it with her.

Again just tossing out ideas...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

The worst students I've ever had have been girls at around that age. Nothing to do with ability, but all to do with the hormones of "being 15". One girl who was absolutely impossible, both to me and to her father, came back three years later as a completely different person. Just be patient and take it at whatever speed she wants - or not at all.

#6 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Does she have any interest at all in diving? You mentioned nothing about that! This is definitely where to start.

I won't argue with the age thing, I didn't want to hang out with my parents at that age.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#7 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

The worst students I've ever had have been girls at around that age. Nothing to do with ability, but all to do with the hormones of "being 15". One girl who was absolutely impossible, both to me and to her father, came back three years later as a completely different person. Just be patient and take it at whatever speed she wants - or not at all.

I have had the same on my students. I think you hit the nail right on. The only thing that helped with me was they bring a fr with them. But this can also be hard on the instructor when/if they are buddies in the COW or OW part.

just my 2 cents

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

Yep, I remember when my daughter was 15, and you couldn't get her motivated to do ANYTHING that wasn't her idea first!!

You've given her the tools she needs, and an incentive, and now it's up to her. If she doesn't want to do something at this stage of her life, you can't force the issue. I could loan you the great 2-DVD video I just got from our FIJI dive trip -- if that's not motivation to get a C-card, nothing will work! :thankyou:
Posted Image

#9 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Does she have any interest at all in diving? You mentioned nothing about that! This is definitely where to start.

I won't argue with the age thing, I didn't want to hang out with my parents at that age.

I did mention she did a discover scuba class. it was after that class that she said she was interested, prompting my purchase of a prescription mask :blush:

I've got dive video's, maybe I should fire some up one evening. :thankyou:

#10 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yep, I remember when my daughter was 15, and you couldn't get her motivated to do ANYTHING that wasn't her idea first!!

You've given her the tools she needs, and an incentive, and now it's up to her. If she doesn't want to do something at this stage of her life, you can't force the issue. I could loan you the great 2-DVD video I just got from our FIJI dive trip -- if that's not motivation to get a C-card, nothing will work! :thankyou:

No doubt, she has to "want to do it".

Dive videos might help, but with this generation, there's not much they haven't seen on a screen. So you may want to consider taking her to Cozumel anyway. Have a good time, doing a variety of things, but also include an afternoon of snuba. Once she is able to experience it, she may want to "cut the hose". When she does get certified, she'll want you to take her on dive trips at every opportunity.

Been there, done that. My next trip with my daughter is to St. Lucia in September.

Bill

ps - if you take her on a SD trip, she could become the life of the party

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#11 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

I work (quite happily) with that age group and concur with all of the above advise.

Kids that age are---quite normally and appropriately---more motivated by their peers than their parents (ewwww!!!!). Offering her a chance to go on a supervised [ewww again] beach and reef-intensive tropical vacation with one of her bff's (best forever friends) may get her near the water with her new mask, fins, and snorkel. If she and her pal are still comfortable snorkeling and want to get even closer to the UW life (like...who wouldn't?!!!!) [i]she may be asking you for permission to take her ow classes and tests. You can [jokingly] tell her you need to think about it, if you like....:thankyou: !!!! Warning: be careful joking with teenagers; it's a bit like playing with dynamite!!!!

Just don't push b/c (1) you'll just frustrate both of you (who needs that???) and (2) a reluctant diver is not a happy diver and a happy diver is not a safe diver...!!!!

Good luck!!!!
---Pam_B.

#12 pam_b

pam_b

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Whoops!!! A happy diver is a safe diver and an unhappy diver is an unsafe diver!!!! Whatever....it's late and I'm having a fifties moment :thankyou: !!!!!
pb

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Whoops!!! A happy diver is a safe diver and an unhappy diver is an unsafe diver!!!! Whatever....it's late and I'm having a fifties moment :cool1: !!!!!
pb

Great advice in your other post and no worries on the 50's moment...I am :thankyou: so have them all the time! :blush:

formerly...

#14 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:23 AM

Motivation might be the boy to girl ratio she might find in Scuba?
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Motivation might be the boy to girl ratio she might find in Scuba?

Yes but does dad REALLY want his baby girl going out with most of the guys he knows in scuba???

After all they old enough to be her dad or granddad!! :teeth:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users