• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Cook That Chicken

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:45 PM

I will never forget May 2nd 2009! The day before I had marinated some chicken and was cooking it for dinner on the 2nd, everything else was ready and I checked the chicken and it looked fully cooked. I sat down for dinner and took a bite out of the chicken and saw a small amount of watery pink stuff ?, I said o-well it wont hurt me to eat this not-so cooked chicken. I was absolutely WRONG...the next day and the following 10 days I sat on the porcelain thrown and somehow lost 25lbs and wasn't dieting or on Jenny Craig!. I felt so bad I called my doctor and placed an appointment for a week from that day. I almost couldn't wait that long and was almost ready to walk myself into a local emergency room..I started feeling better after a few days later and canceled my doc appointment only call them back later to reschedule.. It was terrible ! My Doc gave me some antibiotics for my stomach and it worked. I have always heard to cook chicken and pork thoroughly, but never thought I could get so sick from under-cooking it....Live and Learn I Guess !

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

That's a rough way to lose 25 lbs, Bubski! Food poisoning sucks.....had it once many years ago. You were probably dangerously dehydrated by the time you saw a doctor!

The only pink chicken you can eat is smoked chicken!

Funny how I learned that.....I bought a smoker and a huge chicken and thought I'd have some family over for dinner one Saturday. I smoked that stupid chicken for 7 hours and it was still pink! Then I read the instructions for the smoker...... :respect: :respect: :cool2:
Posted Image

#3 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

Damn Bubski I could have told you that's not a good way to loose weight. Glad you're still with us bro. We still have more diving to do.

On the cooking side....be warned, cooking doesn't kill the toxins already there. If the chicken has been kept out to long, or kept in the wrong temperature zone for too long all the cooking in the work won't help. If the marinade was left out, or made hot and put right into the fridge the chicken would be out of the safe zone for too long.

Most of the food born illnesses come from improper handling and cross contamination not from under cooking.
I prefer my chicken medium rare - but I also get it from a trusted source and make sure it is fresh. Then again, I have a cast iron stomach.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#4 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

OMG, Do not suffer with diarrhea for more than 1 day without seeking medical advise. As LLDN stated dehydration can be a KILLER. When travelling into area's with unkown food and water sources I have in my luggage at least 1 OTC drug for intestinal problems, and 1 or 2 Rx for same. Also Oral Rehydration Salts as first aid for bad diarrhea and Iodine tablets to treat suspect water sources ( both can be found at lg-sporting goods stores and pharmacys). Be careful in the US also, I stopped in at the Winn Dixie in Marathon a few years back travelling north and bought some Guava Turnovers :cool2: , most happy there were lots of fast food pit stops by the time I hit Florida City .
Glad your feeling better. Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users