• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Bail and Wakatobi....we are here!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

I spend too much time on line

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

In the meantime...can anyone tell me what kind of fish is in the picture with mystery fish A? Or what the name of the marine life is on the artificial reef that is black and white? :teeth:

Good pics :D

The "mystery fish A" looks like a scorpion fish to me.

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#17 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

1. The first photo is a metal grid of some kind with a black and white crinoid.

Next time you see one, look close within it and look for little commensal shrimps with similar markings. In it's "feet" you sometimes will find little crab like creatures, but they really are "squat lobsters" in similar coloration as the "feet" of the crinoid. The d*mn crinoid will stick to you and your wetsuit, so be careful when you swim by. The other black thing on the grid looks like a sponge or colonial tunicate... not sure.

2. This is a bannerfish at the wreck. See this in Wikipedia for more info.

3. The steel Poker is pointing at a scorpionfish. It is among an orangish sponge, hard coral and a sea plant (I just know it's a plant.) I don't see another fish. If so where is it?

Best Fishes,
Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 26 August 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#18 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thank you both! You're the BEST!! Now that I have those cleared up, I'll have to get on the next group of mystery fish and post some more pictures. I can't say enough about my neighborhood photo center...they took some really rough pictures and did WONDERS to get me the pictures you see. (PM me if you want more details, it's likely they're in your neighborhood too).

And yes, Robin, I only had one fish in the Mystery Fish A photo...I am rereading my post and realize it sounds like I expected two fish to be IDed... guess I've got to work on my semantics. :P

#19 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Okay people, help the newbie out... who can ID the latest Bali photos? I'm especially interested in the black and white fish in Mystery Fish B photo...
Thanks!!

#20 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

Thank you both! You're the BEST!! Now that I have those cleared up, I'll have to get on the next group of mystery fish and post some more pictures. I can't say enough about my neighborhood photo center...they took some really rough pictures and did WONDERS to get me the pictures you see. (PM me if you want more details, it's likely they're in your neighborhood too).

And yes, Robin, I only had one fish in the Mystery Fish A photo...I am rereading my post and realize it sounds like I expected two fish to be IDed... guess I've got to work on my semantics. :diver:

No problem.... not only semantics... you need to get some fish/critter ID books, too! :P Makes Photography and diving much more fun to know the fish you are looking at!

#21 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

Okay people, help the newbie out... who can ID the latest Bali photos? I'm especially interested in the black and white fish in Mystery Fish B photo...
Thanks!!

your photo did not get the angle such that I can tell what that black & white one is.

The others: shrimpfish = razorfish
sea cucumber is the white thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users