• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

For the PADI Instructors out there

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi all,

I was asked this weekend by a prospective OW student what the best way to tread water was. I gave her some tips, but wondered about something as a result. I believe the standard for OW students is to tread water for 10 minutes. However, does the PADI Instructor Manual specify salt or fresh water for water treading???

Reason I am asking is I have a heck of a time staying afloat in fresh water like a pool, but in the local salt water I don't have to move and I float. I don't recall a specific reference from my IM exposure during my DM course, but then again I did not look then. :welcome:

Thanks
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

Hi all,

I was asked this weekend by a prospective OW student what the best way to tread water was. I gave her some tips, but wondered about something as a result. I believe the standard for OW students is to tread water for 10 minutes. However, does the PADI Instructor Manual specify salt or fresh water for water treading???

Reason I am asking is I have a heck of a time staying afloat in fresh water like a pool, but in the local salt water I don't have to move and I float. I don't recall a specific reference from my IM exposure during my DM course, but then again I did not look then. :welcome:

Thanks

Standards only specify "water too deep in which to stand" without reference to salt or fresh water. I have a salt water pool, and while not as salty as the ocean, it's still a bit easier in my pool than in a chlorinated one.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

I try to get divers floating with the minimum of movement and effort. After all, it's meant to be a survival technique and you don't want to exhaust yourself. If they can float reliably and consistently without "treading water" at all then so much the better.

Salt water generally has waves, though in places like the Red Sea and Quero's pool they may be minimal, and fresh water generally doesn't. Tends to even out the issues of different natural buoyancy.

#4 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I try to get divers floating with the minimum of movement and effort. After all, it's meant to be a survival technique and you don't want to exhaust yourself. If they can float reliably and consistently without "treading water" at all then so much the better.

Salt water generally has waves, though in places like the Red Sea and Quero's pool they may be minimal, and fresh water generally doesn't. Tends to even out the issues of different natural buoyancy.

You hit the nail on the head. Just stay above water and do not touch the pool or anything to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users