• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Head Gear

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

I don't know if I thought of this because the Broncos are playing SF tonight and are currently down by 9 points (I just flipped channels and discovered this...digital isn't doing so well in my area, it fades out quite often or I just get a can't receive broadcast message...so I am watching what I wouldn't watch otherwise...), but I'm wondering about what we put on our heads...

I have a beanie that I use since I get cold easy, and growing up in Alaska I learned very early in life that a hat keeps you from losing so much body heat. I didn't like the options in the mid 90's when I first started diving for hoods, but I wonder if there are now different options for materials that I might like better.

What do you wear on your head to keep the heat in and the cold out?

#2 Morish Idol

Morish Idol

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:in the process of completing my OW class.

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

hi uwfan
well not sure if this will be much help but when i went for my open water dives it was still early in the season for here. the temp of the water was like maybe 59-65 but think it was colder then that. would have to look up my logs for sure. but the LDS suggested a 5ml full face hood. i belive it is all neoprene and very similiar to my wet suit. i wasnt sure about wearing one but it did seem to help. then again i was sweating in that and the wetsuit. have worn it on my deep dive for the AOW and it was good. i did wear the gloves also for my OW class but not for the AOW. was a little cold after that dive but warmed up quick on the way to the surface. lol. so that is what i wear. but not all the time. and all of my diving is local and at the lake.

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

A neoprene hood for cooler to cold water, and a lycra hood for warm water.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

Beanie. Always. On every dive, no matter the water temp.

Hate the feeling of the hood around my neck.

#5 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

I have a Micropreen Hood that I wear in warmer H2Os
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#6 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

Is it stretchier than regular neoprene? Hated getting into the hood I rented when doing my OW years ago (15 years?)...but was glad to have a hood. Hoping there's a warmer option than a beanie that isn't quite so hard to get into...

#7 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

Is it stretchier than regular neoprene? Hated getting into the hood I rented when doing my OW years ago (15 years?)...but was glad to have a hood. Hoping there's a warmer option than a beanie that isn't quite so hard to get into...

There is even hyperstretch from Henderson, that is easy as can be. Neoprene from 10 years ago and neoprene now are not even comparable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users