• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Florida Regional trip reports August 2004

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:22 PM

Yet another point of view............

Since the Florida Regional was a 4-day event, I requested leave for Friday and Monday. My request was denied. I resigned myself to spending just the weekend with my SD.com friends. I did talk them into letting me leave work 30 minutes early (by skipping lunch). Before I left, I saw they had scheduled me off work on Monday, a pleasant surprise.

I pulled into the hotel at about 6 PM on Friday to find several folks separating lead from line after the clean up. They sent me to the ocean a couple of times with starfish they found.

At the BBQ, I saw some old friends and met new ones. This was the first time ZD and I met face to face, yet it seemed almost as if we’d know each other for years. Working closely on this site was a big factor, I’m sure.

Saturday morning, we dived with Tavernier Dive Center. That was old home week for me because I once worked there as a DM/Instructor/Captain. There are lots of changes. The Shadow was a new, beautiful, sleek boat. It’s now showing its age (19). It was once quite plush; it’s now an old workhorse. We had 25 divers on board, which really isn’t too bad for this boat (licensed for 40), but is a tad crowded. Since we made up almost the entire compliment, I didn’t notice the crowding.

Our first dive was on an old favorite of mine – Conch Wall. It was my 166th dive on Conch, but I haven’t dived it in 505 dives. It’s been a while. Susan was my buddy for the morning. We descend against a mild current and dropped over the wall. Circling around the large coral heads on the bottom of the wall we found a 6 ft Nurse Shark. We followed it for a bit. It took us to two of its friends. A nice introduction.

Coming back to the top of the wall, we spotted a French Angel with a tiny shark sucker attached. Susan immediately started looking at the shrimp in the tube sponges. I pulled out my light to help her get a better view.

Kamala & Kim soon joined us. The four of us played around near the mooring line. Conch is still one of my favorite dives; it’s a beautiful reef with lots of life.

Captain Scott took sandwich orders during the surface interval and radioed them in.

For the second dive, we went to a spot on Little Conch Reef they called Three Stooges. Larry, Moe, Curley, Shemp and Joe should file a lawsuit. It’s not a nice spot. I enjoyed the company and hence the dive, but I wouldn’t recommend the site.

Kamala and I made plans to get our nitrox tanks analyzed and signed off first so we could make the sandwich run. While we were in the process of doing that, John showed up and made a rude & crude comment. John was the original owner of Tavernier Dive Center. We worked very closely for over 6 years and became very good friends during that time. I introduced him to Kamala and we chatted for a bit. We excused ourselves to pick up the sandwiches and upon returning, John and I caught up on happenings in each other’s lives since we last saw each other (about 5 years). As we loaded up for the afternoon trip, John invited us to stop by later.

The afternoon trip was two dives on the Eagle. The Eagle is my favorite dive. I’m always happy to have an opportunity to get on it again. Stu was my buddy in the afternoon. He’s a fun dive buddy. He even followed me through the bow section. We sat over the wreck hovering as a large Jewfish exited, swam out beyond the keel and waited for the divers to leave.

During the surface interval, I pulled the goodie bag out of my gear bag when ZD wasn’t looking and gave it to Jill (our DM) to hold out of sight on the swim platform.

When I was ready to enter the water, I took it back from Jill and slipped in with it hidden from ZD all the time. Stu & I descended to the wreck where I filled the bottle, sealed it & returned it to the bag. We then waited for Marvel & ZD to arrive. While waiting we saw a large turtle leave the wreck, then our old friend the Jewfish took up his station out from the keel. Eventually, ZD & Marvel descended. ZD turned left, Marvel circled to the right, I swam over her and passed the bag. She swam right over and presented it to him. He really did tear up when he read the inscription on the flask. Several folks shook his hand in congratulations. Stu & I were out of bottom time at this point, so we started out slow ascent.

After the dive, ZD cracked open the flask and took the first sip of brandy from his new flask. That also brought tears to his eyes. LOL! He then shared the contents of his flask with us.

After the dives, we planned to meet the group a little later for dinner, but first planned to have a short visit with John, his wife Diana and daughter, Jennifer. The short visit turned into about 2 hours although it seemed like 15 minutes.

More (Sunday & Monday) to come……………
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#32 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:02 AM

Conch reef, my very first open water dive. It is a good dive. Walter, you will have to tell me what John is up to. Like you, I haven't seen him in years.

The Eagle is also a wonderful dive. You guys must have had a blast.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#33 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:11 AM

busy week so just a quick note to let everyone know how much I loved meeting and diving with everyone. I am really looking forward to going to SD Reginal events in everyone's back yard over the next couple years.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible for your great work!!!!

Gar
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#34 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:35 AM

Blu,

Thanks for playing the spanish guitar, really touched me. :cool1:
You are truly an awesome person.
Ladies, he is a keeper!!!

#35 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:55 AM

busy week so just a quick note to let everyone know how much I loved meeting and diving with everyone. I am really looking forward to going to SD Reginal events in everyone's back yard over the next couple years.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible for your great work!!!!

Gar

That's it???? That's your trip report????? You slacker!!!! :cool1:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#36 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:15 PM

Marvel,

Sorry, but he was busy.

#37 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

I really enjoyed meeting many new faces and of course the diviing :lol: ! I'm on a borrowed computer so I'll have more to say when I get back from the Bahamas, you all play nice! :wavey: :2cool:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#38 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Sylvia!!! I'm blushing :lmao: and marvel darlin' Thanks so much for all the hospitality! Marvel, Kamala, ZD and Walter and everyone else....So much work on your part so much appreciation on mine!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#39 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Sylvia!!! I'm blushing :thank you: and marvel darlin' Thanks so much for all the hospitality! Marvel, Kamala, ZD and Walter and everyone else....So much work on your part so much appreciation on mine!

But still no trip report, you gad-about, you!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#40 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Sylvia!!! I'm blushing :evilgrin:  and marvel darlin' Thanks so much for all the hospitality! Marvel, Kamala, ZD and Walter and everyone else....So much work on your part so much appreciation on mine!

Hey, was fun meeting you. Will have to get together next time I'm out visiting my brother. Chatted with him over the weekend. Ther FINE DINING we did in Albq was at the "Frontier" near the college. What a place! Breakfast will never be the same :twist:
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#41 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Sylvia!!! I'm blushing :thankyou:  and marvel darlin' Thanks so much for all the hospitality! Marvel, Kamala, ZD and Walter and everyone else....So much work on your part so much appreciation on mine!

Hey, was fun meeting you. Will have to get together next time I'm out visiting my brother. Chatted with him over the weekend. Ther FINE DINING we did in Albq was at the "Frontier" near the college. What a place! Breakfast will never be the same :D

Yes indeed the Frontier is a ledgend in it's own right here in Albuquacky. I don't get down there very often. Make sure to give me a hollar when you get into town next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users