• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Max Depth for OW Student Dives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

Quick Question for the PADI Instructors out there.

A neighbor is taking the PADI OW course and was told her dive 3 + 4 would be held in 60 feet of water. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly I cannot find the reference I believe I read) training dives were not supposed to be more than 40 feet deep?

What is the IM standard?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:24 AM

Quick Question for the PADI Instructors out there.

A neighbor is taking the PADI OW course and was told her dive 3 + 4 would be held in 60 feet of water. I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly I cannot find the reference I believe I read) training dives were not supposed to be more than 40 feet deep?

What is the IM standard?

Dives 1 & 2 have a maximum depth od 40 ft, dives 3 & 4 60 ft. I typically take my students to 60 ft when allowed so that it is their limit in both training and experience, which is actually the stated maximum depth for certified recreational divers.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#3 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

The scuba diver course has a max limit of 40' and you must dive with an assistant or instructor. So I am sure that is the max limit there. As for the open water - I can't find anything in my manual on the computer, and my hard folder is buried in the garage (haven't needed it for awhile *sigh) but I can't remember any depth restrictions for the OW training. 60' in the max depth for the OW cert so I wouldn't have the training done that that depth, but we used to take the students that low on the following "fun" dives.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback. When she told me they were going to 60 feet for the qual dives I was a little taken aback. Especially when she said there was a lady in her class who was "freaking out" and scrambling to the surface whenever she got water in her mask. 40' max seems more logical to me, but personally I would try to stay in the 10-20 foot range. Just in case.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

I wouldn't sign off on someone to dive to 60' until I saw how they performed at 60'.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Quero is right, and I agree with Scubahawk as well. Does present a quandary when we have people here who want to do an OW course but it's too rough to go outside the reef (the deepest inside is 30ft).

#7 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

Yes she is right, however I teach at alt so I only take them to 40 feet becasue of the adj for 7000. If they are going to the surface they will do it from 40 feet. But I would not sign off anyone who is not ready even if they show they can just get by with the min required. They need to feel as they can do it even without an instructor holding their hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users