• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Software for digital pics

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:26 AM

What kind of software do you use to "play" with your digital pics to adjust color, etc.? Any favorites or ones you absolutely hate?

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I'm still using the old version of Photoshop 5.0, I have Paint Shop Pro from Dell on my computer but I have never used it yet.
my 2 psi

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

JASC Paint Shop Pro 7 - Now owned by Corel, but I still use the older JASC version. Does 98% of what Photoshop does at 1/4 of the price. The 2% it does not do I don't need anyway. :D
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Simon,
I agree Photoshop 5.0 or even PS 7.0 is overkill, I only use it for resizing or croping pictures. I have yet to find any editing software that will take a poorly shot picture and make it better by using the brightness, contrast, hue etc.. features... in a nutshell you need a good pic to "Play" with first, then you can tweek it.... just alittle. I think most computers come with some kind of basic photo editing software.. mine has MGI Photovista but I have never used it

my 2.5 psi :D

Bubski

Amazon.com

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I knew my ears were burning for a reason. For the most part unless your doing serious editting and have the time for the learning curve Photoshop is overkill not to mention expensive. The best option in the market right for the price is the lastest version of Photoshop elements CS4. It has 80% of the tools of the full version ( the other 20% are novels unto themselves).

Then for a book to learn to use ut u would reccomend a book written by Scott Kelby or Thomas knoll who know there way around Photoshop and elements like no other.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:31 PM

I take all my pictures in RAW and use Photoshop to interpret & process them. For simple playing with JPEGs I often use Paint.net (thanks to whoever it was here who first drew my attention to it).

#7 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

For color correction and RAW, Apple's Aperture.
Signature under construction :)

#8 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

I use the free stuff that can be downloaded Irfanview. Does a lot of things, easy to use, and free.

#9 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

uwfan,
I'm curious as to why you posted this question ?
1. are you looking for photo editing software.
2. do you currently have photo editing software, and what kind.
3. are you looking into becoming a UW photographer.
4. are you a UW photographer but dont like your current software choices.

Jus curious :respect:

Bubski

Amazon.com

#10 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

uwfan,
I'm curious as to why you posted this question ?
1. are you looking for photo editing software.
2. do you currently have photo editing software, and what kind.
3. are you looking into becoming a UW photographer.
4. are you a UW photographer but dont like your current software choices.

Jus curious :missu:

Bubski

Hey Bubski,

I tried a camera with 35 mm film that I picked up cheap, had some good results with my neighborhood film developing shop when I tried the first rolls of film and they were able to make my not so good pics look pretty good. The second time I tried, I used film that wasn't as good in quality and they weren't able to do much (partly because I didn't have much I could do with the camera and the shots were often close up). But I've seen some GREAT pictures on the website.

I know I won't be able to get pictures as good as those who have high end cameras and lots of experience...but I'd like to get a digital UW camera, and I think I've narrowed down some choices there...now I'm curious what options there are for the software that I know I'll need to at least make my pics look like something more than blobs :respect: .

(So I guess that's choices 1 and 3.... :hugs: )

Heidi

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

uwfan,
I'm using a inexpensive point and shoot camera made by sealife, below is some pictures of a more expensive camera system (unknown diver). I resized one picture with no adjusting, the next picture I resized but used the "Auto Levels" feature in PS 5.0. my camera was about $200 and the unknown divers camera is about $7000.00 :missu: I use my lil point and shoot just for remembering the diving. I think the same rules applies for camera's...you get what you pay for. Camera's are fun and the pics from them rarely stay on the owners computer...more often they end up on SD..soooo what happens on a SD trip dosnt stay secret very long :respect: So I hope You (someday) point and Shoot carefuly. now photo editing software is everywhere and does basicly the same thing...you just need to start with a quality photo first IMHO

Bubski

Attached Thumbnails

• Camera2.jpg
  • Camera1autoadjust.jpg

Amazon.com

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

Yes, I mostly just want to play at snapping pics and then play at editing them. I just wanted to know what people like and why so that if I learn I need additional software I know some of what's available. Hope more people share their likes and dislikes, I appreciate everyone's input and it is interesting to know the "why"...if you learn more and more about me I'm very into "why"... :respect:

#13 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

For the most part unless your doing serious editting and have the time for the learning curve Photoshop is overkill not to mention expensive. The best option in the market right for the price is the lastest version of Photoshop elements CS4. It has 80% of the tools of the full version ( the other 20% are novels unto themselves).

I agree. Photoshop Elements takes care of my needs without hefty price tag.

Clint

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

For the most part unless your doing serious editting and have the time for the learning curve Photoshop is overkill not to mention expensive. The best option in the market right for the price is the lastest version of Photoshop elements CS4. It has 80% of the tools of the full version ( the other 20% are novels unto themselves).

I agree. Photoshop Elements takes care of my needs without hefty price tag.

Clint

Unless you are really into photography, in which case you want Adobe CS4, getting Photoshop Elements is a great processing tool. I also like Adobe Lightroom. :respect:

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Clint

agreed and this is what i recommend to most people who are just starting out as the learning curve is much easier compared to other image editors. I have tried most of the image editors and I have stuck with Photoshop and lightroom for my main programs then a whole host of add-ons for retouching. If it wasnt for the retouching and other image work I would be using elements.

Plus if you shoot in raw, you can use elements as long as you have one of the last two versions you will have adobes raw converter. Now if after that you really get the

SS18 agreed lightroom is my main organization and initail editting tool that gets me 60% of the way there. Now if the image needs a major overhaul out comes photoshop and all the tools/plugins.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users