• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Eating vs Exercise

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Different things work for different people that are trying to lose weight, and there is no right or wrong program either. What works for you might not work for the next person. Lets look at all the fad diets out there; you have Atkins, South Beach, Cave Man, Slim Fast, & Weight Watchers, just to name a few. So many of these diets produce great results in the beginning, then probably become boring or expensive and they just fade away, and you're back in the same rut again! What about exercise? Walking, running, biking, elliptical, stair-climbers, rowing, weight lifting, etc. I think if you poll most doctors, dietitians and health providers they would all agree that a combination of diet and exercise would be your best way to lose weight and keep it off. Has anyone of you set a target weight for yourself? Lets just say using the charts available out there, would you like to be close to tha weight, according to your age and height?

When it comes to losing weight:

1. what works for you?

2. what would you recommend to a friend?

3. what worked for you at first, but stopped working (and why)?

4. what is your next plan as far as getting to your target weight?

5. what exercise program was easy for you and worked well?

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

I'll let those with either more experience or more knowledge on this subject than I answer your specific questions but...

To me the key is to just be active as a lifestyle. Doing exercise for the sake of exercise doesn't work for me for long anyway.

Rather than looking at it as trying to lose weight figure out why you have extra weight to lose in the first place.

Obviously ultimately it's because you are eating more than your body requires but is that because you are really just eating way too much or is it because you just aren't that active?

Find something fun that is active and you'll not think of it as a weight losing program.

I don't like to go to a regular gym...it's boring. However, I can go to a climbing gym every other day. I find if you stay active the food thing seems to take care of itself.

It's the same way with junk food. If I'm not active I can eat junk food. If I'm active by body doesn't seem to want it...for one thing I know that I won't feel like climbing or won't perform as well.

I have to make things fun or I won't do them for long.

#3 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

This is a very interesting topic. For anyone that has ever met me in person knows, I can stand to lose some weight. So I’ve tried for years, nay decades to find something that works for me.

The past year, I spent in Iraq, was a perfect chance for me to develop great habits.
Here is what I did…

First, I worked with a nutritionist to develop and track my eating. I had my calories down to about 1800 per day. (As a side note, since I was also in charge of the DFAC, I implemented a “Go Green” Army program to help soldiers make better choices with their eating habits. It was the first and only program in theater.)

I also started working out hard. I was running at least 5 miles a day, and doing weight training. By the end of the deployment, I ran a half marathon without problem; I was weight lifting at quite a great level. I could squat 500 lbs, and bench pressing over 300 lbs.

I lost about 30 lbs total, then I couldn’t drop another ounce. I hit a plateau and I’m still there. I couldn’t possibly keep up the routine I was doing over there. Since returning home, I haven’t put on any weight, but I’ve lost a lot of the physical fitness that I had.

Note, comparatively to most deployed soldiers, I was a total success story. Due to the access of unlimited, free food, most soldiers put on about 20 lbs during a deployment. It’s so ingrained in the deployment that soldiers are except from passing their PT (Physical Training) test for about 6 months after a deployment.

During my PT test, I was passing guys 15 year younger than me. I was also doing push ups like a mad man.

A funny side note, it seemed the older guys did better, as there were guys 5 and 10 years older than me, out performing me!

What I learned…
My body weight is ingrained in my DNA. I can fluctuate a little bit, but I’ll never be lean and trim without surgery*. But, my body can also perform better than others WITH the extra weight.

*=I have seriously considered this option, and may do it at some time. This is more of a career issue then vanity. In the Army, officers are promoted on looks also. Even if I can score a perfect 300 on the PT test, if I look a little overweight, it can hold me back.
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#4 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

My problem is simple. I LIKE sweets!! :welcome: Typical diets don't work for me because I won't stick to them. I have recently been avoiding the sweets. I don't have much will power in this area mind you. I am also a shift worker and this is very crippling to a persons diet...mine anyway. While working nights you get bored and go to the kitchen looking for something to eat to occupy your time. I have started taking apples to snack on and it is helping a great deal. As far as exercise I am a member of a gym....pretty much just a member!! I do however get plenty of walking exercise at work. I also work hard on the home front so I do get a lot of physical activity. I usually get 10 to 15 extra pounds on before I will try and get it back off!! I'm sure I would feel much better if I could stay at my ideal weight and stop the roller coaster ride.

I need a pill that will make me hate sweets!!!! :usflag:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#5 Wakemaker

Wakemaker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver (is that really

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:40 AM

My problem is simple. I LIKE sweets!! :welcome: ... I need a pill that will make me hate sweets!!!! :usflag:

OMG! Would you REALLY give up on the stuff that almost always LOOKS soooooooo good? I could not. I'd eat the pill and still attempt to eat the sweets!

My eating habits are based on my routines. Because I have to change my weekly routines about twice a month, it became essential for me to eat according to my output. Output comes first. Then I can consume.
SDHH in Seattle this weekend? Hum? What did you say? I just need to know. Tell me it is so!

#6 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

ScubaSis I'm standing right by your side Sista..I know old habits are hard to break !

I dont know how reliable this web site is but ya'll can calculate your Body Mass Index here and get an Idea of what you can exspect as far as possible health problems you might get or avoid, by entering your Age, Height, Weight and Gender..

BMI..Calculator

Bubski

Amazon.com

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

BMI..Calculator

Bubski

Knowing your BMI is important, and I suggest everyone use this calculator.....BUT pay no attention to the way they push the acai berry supplement to boost your metabolism and lower your BMI. There are conflicting reports on the acai berry effect on the body, and better safe than sorry! (remember Fen Phen?)
Posted Image

#8 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Your Body Mass Index Number
You have a BMI of 23.69. This BMI puts you under the body classification of "Average" according to the CDC (US Center for Disease Control & Prevention).

Your risk for the following health conditions is: Very Low

Hypertension
Dyslipidemia
Type 2 diabetes
Coronary heart disease
Stroke
Gallbladder disease
Osteoarthritis
Sleep apnea
Endometrial, breast, and colon cancer

WOW!! I am amazed. It did however tell me to tone up!! Talked about my soft mid section....How did they know??? :teeth:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#9 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

Last year my doctor told me that he was concerned about my heart health. I was overweight and did not get enough excercise and my cholesteral was too high. So he sent me to get a heart scan. This scan called an EBT (I think) is similar to an MRI but it is only done on the heart. I passed not only with flying colors but I have absolutely nothing wrong with my heart. I rated in the top 2% of all males of my age group in the country. So of course my attitude was, so what if my cholesteral is too high? I did basically nothing about it after that until this past March. I went to Utila for two weeks to dive and while I was there I found my self only wanting to dive 3 dives a day and I even took a day off from diving. Now this probably does not seem like a big deal but for me I have always been one to dive every available dive that I could squeeze in during a day. During my trip a buddy emailed me about going on a liveaboard in Papua New Guinea this November. I jumped on that trip and when I got home from Utila I realized that I was going to be traveling literally half way around the world to be on a dive boat for 10 days. I had better get in shape.

I have never been one that has been able to stick to a diet. I eat pretty healthy anyway, I just eat more than I should and I do like my glass or two or three :teeth: of wine so I decided that the best route was to excercise more calories off than I eat.

I started using the treadmill. It started out slow as I built endurance but I am now up to 4 miles a day and I have the computer set at burning 1000 calories so the workout takes me through a pretty intense program. I don't run due to an old knee injury but I can tolerate hill climing on the machine.

I have lost 55 lbs since April 14th, my legs are in really good shape, my cardio conditioning is pretty good and I just had blood tests done and my Doc says that my cholestral, blood sugar etc is perfect.

I have not even thought about dieting. I eat what I want, even though as I have become more fit, I find my self eating much less. I don't restrict myself so I do not feel deprived but I am not eating as much. The wine consumption has not changed at all :cheerleader:

One of my big arguments against myself before I started this program was that I did not have time, that I was too tired when I got home from work etc. I work a 10 to 12 hour day and I am on my feet for most of that day, it was difficult to get started but now that I have been doing it for 6 months I have no problem coming home and getting right on the treadmill.

I excercise 7 days a week, I don't miss a day. I figure that making this a habit will keep me doing it.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#10 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

ScubaSis

Talked about my soft mid section....How did they know???

Sis try unpluging your Web Cam and do the test over :teeth:

Jim,
That is an Awesome testimony !, I was thinking that exercise was the real magic bullet everyone is needing and as mentioned by Wakemaker..

Output comes first. Then I can consume.

Has anyone lost weight out there just by dieting ?

Curiuos Bubski

Amazon.com

#11 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

I always have to exercise in order to lose weight. Diet alone does not do it for me, and exercise alone does not do it for me!

It helps if I change my diet (by getting rid of the sweets that so many of us love!) in addition to adding more exercise. If you continue to stuff your face with whatever you want when you start exercising, you may stop gaining weight but it will be difficult to lose any weight. On the other hand, if you go on a very calorie-restrictive diet and do not exercise, eventually your metabolism will slow even further and you will get frustrated and go off the diet, and eventually end up right where you started.

Parrotman is right.....you think you cannot fit any time into your busy schedule to exercise, but if you really want to, you can find the time. For me, I have to go to the gym right after work, because if I go home first, I'll never make it to the gym!

To lose, you have to combine restricted calorie intake and increased exercise. To maintain your weight, you should do 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise 3-4 times each week, and some strength training 2 times per week. Remember the strength training! Muscles are what drive our metabolic rate (efficient calorie burning).
Posted Image

#12 Genejockey

Genejockey

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + [EANx, Cavern, Wreck]
  • Logged Dives:21

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Yep, via the protein-sparing diet (aka Atkins). 30 lbs in 4 months is one way to measure it, but losing 3 inches from my waist is another. I successfully transitioned into the maintenance part of the diet, and I'm adding exercise now. I disregard calories on food items, but I keep track of carb grams that I eat during the day and hold it around 60 grams. Another way I think about it is if I eat lots of carbohydrates at a meal, I cut back on the amount I eat for the next two meals.

Has anyone lost weight out there just by dieting ?

Curiuos Bubski

#13 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:03 AM

Watching what I eat does help me lose weight, so does exercise. As a kid I was skinny....VERY skinny, and underweight until after my sophmore year of college. My family as I was growing up had a diet that was not very varied and consisted of a LOT of salmon. While I like the variety available to me now... I wish I could get myself back to eating more salmon. I am sure I would be healthier.

I have found that trying to eat more vegetables, ...and less chips, soda, ice cream, and cookies... along with taking flaxseed has helped me lose 10 pounds that I have kept off even when I haven't made the effort to exercise.

I lost another 5 pounds, but that has returned... and that was a combination of how I eat and exercise. My BMI..."Slightly Overweight"...of course I played with the numbers and found if I were a pound lighter I would be "Average"! :D

#14 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

Your Body Mass Index Number
You have a BMI of 23.69. This BMI puts you under the body classification of "Average" according to the CDC (US Center for Disease Control & Prevention).

Your risk for the following health conditions is: Very Low

Hypertension
Dyslipidemia
Type 2 diabetes
Coronary heart disease
Stroke
Gallbladder disease
Osteoarthritis
Sleep apnea
Endometrial, breast, and colon cancer

WOW!! I am amazed. It did however tell me to tone up!! Talked about my soft mid section....How did they know??? :D

:hiya: HA! Mine said the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users