• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Facebook and other...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

well it took me awhile to finally register into myspace after all the bad press it got as a predator hang-out, and now its facebook thats all the rage ! Yep signed in and registered and low and behold there was plenty of SD friends on there plus the facebook software uses your e-mail address (that you choose to use) to find your friends and acquaintances. I think social networking web sites are great for finding friends, fellow divers from other web sites and even relatives online and sharing info and the Latest Greatest news with them... but it stills falls short of being a Scuba Diving Forum like singledivers.com. If your a business or want to promote a business, these kind of social networking web sites are a must because they receive so may hits from the search engines that you can really promote your or somebody elses web site. I would suggest if you dont have a web site to promote put in your Wall/Profile singledivers.com and bring in some more Divers to SD, so we can meet them and hear what they have to say about diving and other topics. What I dont understand about facebook is the chat feature, if you have 2 people in your chat box does that mean you have 2 people that want to chat with you ? or 2 people you know you could send a chat/message to ?.... what next Twitter ?

Social Networking web sites are FUN.
Scuba Diving Forums like SD are Priceless !

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

two people shown in your chat box means those people are online and you can chat if you want - if they have a solid green circle. I haven't quite figured out the (I think it's white) circle that isn't a solid color, more of an outline of a circle (it's been a while since I was on Facebook.) I think it means they've been on but haven't logged off and haven't clicked on any feature in the recent time period.

I've used the chat feature to talk with someone I hadn't talked to in years who was several states away, and I've used it to talk to a friend from work who was just across town.

#3 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

I'm still trying to find my way around facebook when I have the time. My son had to show me how to get registered. I was able to contact some old friends that I haven't talked to in years. I never had a my space so this was new to me. I think it's worth the trouble to stay in touch with friends and family that are across the country.

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'm still worried about the security aspects. It's known that profiles can be built up of people based on what most of them post on their Facebook sites and the people they are "friends" with, and I read recently that most people are ignorant of the security safeguards available to them, or they are vaguely aware of them but don't know how to use or access them. I certainly count myself in this ignorant mass. The trouble is, all the system defaults are wide open, so long before you've worked out how to store your info more securely it's too late anyway. I have exactly the same problem with other similar sites I've come across, chiefly (in my case) LinkedIn.

In particular on Facebook I have groups of real friends or associates in different walks who have absolutely nothing in common with people from other groups. I want to be able to separate these groups so no one is even aware of the existence of others, and I want to be able to do this as I add them as "friends", not afterwards. I can't see any way to do that.

Because of this great and significant uncertainty I decided to close my accounts, but then had considerable difficulty finding how to do that. On Facebook you can't in fact - all you can do is signify your intention to close it at some point in the future determined by the system administrators. They really do want to draw people in and keep them there.

I've decided for the time being to leave the accounts open, though I do know that a lot can be learned from who my "friends" are. I'm certainly not posting any personal information about myself, as I know that there are people out there who are paid to trawl through all such sites and pull off what personal information they can and pass it to eg. marketing organisations.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

I'm certainly not posting any personal information about myself, as I know that there are people out there who are paid to trawl through all such sites and pull off what personal information they can and pass it to eg. marketing organisations.

You don't need to join Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, or any other social site to have some sort of Big Brother watching your every click and reporting it to marketing agencies (although they may glean more data from those sites). Every time you log onto the internet & start browsing, there are tracking cookies, adware, spyware, and other IT annoyances & atrocities aimed at you and your computer.

I have yet to find any software that completely protects my computer from these, and frankly I've given up trying. I can ignore their ads on the computer, delete the spam emails, re-format my hard drive when the spyware bogs my system down, and if they mail me anything with a postage-paid return envelope, I send the entire mess back to them in that envelope..... :D
Posted Image

#6 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

I can ignore their ads on the computer, delete the spam emails, re-format my hard drive when the spyware bogs my system down, and if they mail me anything with a postage-paid return envelope, I send the entire mess back to them in that envelope..... :dancing:

Oooh I like that idea!!! I had a friend of mine zap me into Facebook. I have not done a lot with it and freaked when I saw my DOB listed....I hope I got that off of there....

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Tammy

Every time you log onto the internet & start browsing, there are tracking cookies, adware, spyware, and other IT annoyances & atrocities aimed at you and your computer.

I totally agree with your statement. Peter makes a good point also. what you put into your computer is what is available by other computers to veiw. about the only thing that I keep private from my computer is telephone numbers and mailing address. Some of my friends/buddies/customers ask if they could get my phone number so we could talk someday..well.. thats just not going to happen, telephones are from the dark ages. basicly we found each other using the computer and thats the way we can stay in contact (period) If your a Business, mailing/shipping address are a little more tricky to manage to keep private because they go out as your return address on packages and letters, but they dont have to be stored on your computer. Putting phone numbers and address on your SD, Facebook, myspace pages is just asking for trouble. well thats my little ditty on that.

uwfan,
Thanks for trying to explain the chat feature on facebook, I guess I need to tinker around with it a little more.
OK... I see alot of you members involved with the Mafia Wars thingy. Is that a good way just to kill some time or is it Fun, I see that Colleen is in Cuba now and what the heck does that mean ?

Curious Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

You can tell by how unsnazzy our FaceBook page is aka SingleDivers.com's FB page that I am new to FB too!

However if more people join it then maybe one of those who are really great with FB will volunteer to help make ours more jazzy and we'll be off the races... :dancing:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

I can ignore their ads on the computer, delete the spam emails, re-format my hard drive when the spyware bogs my system down, and if they mail me anything with a postage-paid return envelope, I send the entire mess back to them in that envelope..... :dancing:

Oooh I like that idea!!! I had a friend of mine zap me into Facebook. I have not done a lot with it and freaked when I saw my DOB listed....I hope I got that off of there....

Come up with a fake DOB and use that for sites that require it, I do it with any site that I'm not totally comfortable using...and even with some I am comfortable using.

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

{snip}OK... I see alot of you members involved with the Mafia Wars thingy. Is that a good way just to kill some time or is it Fun, I see that Colleen is in Cuba now and what the heck does that mean ?

Curious Bubski

It means I am working jobs and kicking butts in Cuba. Soon the Mafia Wars people will open up Russia. :dancing:
I enjoy playing. Building up my aquired items. Helping friends build their inventory.

FB has been a good thing for me. My exhusbands daughters from his second marriage tracked me down on FB.
They never knew that they had siblings. Found out earlier this year that their Dad (my ex) had 2 sons and a daughter with me.
I kept my ex's name after the divorce. They found me on FB..
Now they are able to get to know my kids and are thrilled to get to know this new side of their family.
I have gotten to know 2 amazing young ladies. None of this would have been possible without FB..
OK ~ It might have been possible just not as easy. :P

Edited by Cold_H2O, 22 September 2009 - 11:50 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

I have an account on FB, but seldom use it. My sister convinced me to get an account so I could see pictures of my nieces. That was three years ago and I am still waiting for her to accept my "Friends invite".

When I heard HR people were using FB / MySpace to check who your friends and acquaintances were for jobs I turned on max security and stopped accepting new contacts. I have some pretty funky friends and none of them affect how I do my job.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

I have some pretty funky friends and none of them affect how I do my job.

:dancing: from both sides of that issue!

I do HR for my company (amongst other things), and I couldn't care less about an applicant's private life, including their credit score, who they hang out with, and what they do in their leisure time (as long as they're not arrested for it! :D ) Nor do I have the time to search for personal data on FB or MS when reviewing applicants. Job skills & the interview are all I use.

On the flip side, I don't think that hanging out with people who wish they had gills makes me an employment risk! (well, I sneak onto SD sometimes, but my work still gets done!) :P
Posted Image

#13 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

{snip}OK... I see alot of you members involved with the Mafia Wars thingy. Is that a good way just to kill some time or is it Fun, I see that Colleen is in Cuba now and what the heck does that mean ?

Curious Bubski

It means I am working jobs and kicking butts in Cuba. Soon the Mafia Wars people will open up Russia. :dancing:
I enjoy playing. Building up my aquired items. Helping friends build their inventory.

FB has been a good thing for me. My exhusbands daughters from his second marriage tracked me down on FB.
They never knew that they had siblings. Found out earlier this year that their Dad (my ex) had 2 sons and a daughter with me.
I kept my ex's name after the divorce. They found me on FB..
Now they are able to get to know my kids and are thrilled to get to know this new side of their family.
I have gotten to know 2 amazing young ladies. None of this would have been possible without FB..
OK ~ It might have been possible just not as easy. :P

This has been the greatest power of facebook (connecting with others that would have been much more difficult in the past, although I enjoy a good war on Mafia Wars too :D. For me, it was childhood friends, including one of my neighbors in NY who was my best friend until they moved away when I was 10. Well, two months ago, I find out he was living here in Colorado, just up the road from me. Got to meet his wife and new child, something that never would have happened without the site.

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

I joined Facebook the year it started at Harvard (1994?) at the urging of a lovely young graduate that year. It has certainly grown and I find many "friends" (most more accurately termed acquaintances) there. Never tried MySpace... I didn't want to be accused of being a predator (I'm really an omnivore).

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

I joined Facebook the year it started at Harvard (1994?) at the urging of a lovely young graduate that year. It has certainly grown and I find many "friends" (most more accurately termed acquaintances) there. Never tried MySpace... I didn't want to be accused of being a predator (I'm really an omnivore).

I think you'll find that was 2004, Bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users