• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Facebook and other...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

{snip}OK... I see alot of you members involved with the Mafia Wars thingy. Is that a good way just to kill some time or is it Fun, I see that Colleen is in Cuba now and what the heck does that mean ?

Curious Bubski

It means I am working jobs and kicking butts in Cuba. Soon the Mafia Wars people will open up Russia. :diver:
I enjoy playing. Building up my aquired items. Helping friends build their inventory.

I actually dropped a couple of "friends" because they were so involved in Mafia Wars that their stuff just cluttered up my wall to the point where I couldn't find anything else.

Rick

:D

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.
-Albert Einstein

Edited by Hipshot, 25 September 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#17 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

I don't even understand Mafia Wars and its appeal... I steer clear. After all, I went to elementary school with a number of the offspring of the Chicago family. You learned NOT to pick a fight with any of them. Besides, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

Of course you can always block the Mafia Wars notices rather than delete your friends.

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

I've never even HEARD of Mafia wars.....

#19 BeachJunkie

BeachJunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox/Cave
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:12 PM

It's all about World Domination. Mafia Wars is thinking too small.
Bringing evil things to evil people... Because pacifists can't get a damn thing done!

Working on my PHD in CQB one house at a time.

#20 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

I have a facebook account and I have used it to find old High School friends and stay in contact with some of you SCUBA folks. I found out an old friend that passed away not long after I joined facebook. And then I made contact with an old High School friend and within a month, she was killed in a car wreck. That was really depressing. But without the contact, I would not have known about her wonderful daughter and that she had lived a wonderful life.

I do not do any of the other things that are available on the web site designed to waste time. I turned off all notifications so the site can't spam me anymore. I go to the site once a week or so to see what has happened on my wall. And I still get requests for this smiley or that heart or pillow fighting or some other nonsense that just wastes our time. I have blocked those applications. Reading Singledivers and Scubaboard posts and working keeps me plenty busy.

Edited by Dennis, 27 September 2009 - 06:00 PM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#21 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

{snip}OK... I see alot of you members involved with the Mafia Wars thingy. Is that a good way just to kill some time or is it Fun, I see that Colleen is in Cuba now and what the heck does that mean ?

Curious Bubski

It means I am working jobs and kicking butts in Cuba. Soon the Mafia Wars people will open up Russia. :birthday:
I enjoy playing. Building up my aquired items. Helping friends build their inventory.

I actually dropped a couple of "friends" because they were so involved in Mafia Wars that their stuff just cluttered up my wall to the point where I couldn't find anything else.

Rick

:birthday:

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.
-Albert Einstein

You don't have to drop your friends for that reason. If you go to the right side of any post (under the demarcating line) and hover with your mouse, you will get a pop-up giving you "hide" options. Anything from hiding all "mafia wars", "kiss the dog", "suck the pillow", "send a rose", and all the myriad of applications glomed onto facebook to hiding the friend's posts altogether. I have hidden all the mafia wars stuff and several other apps, but still get posts and notes from my friends. Cleaned up my wall. This was necessary for my sanity so I would not have to unfriend them. I still like them even if they are crazy about cyber lives.

#22 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

You don't have to drop your friends for that reason. If you go to the right side of any post (under the demarcating line) and hover with your mouse, you will get a pop-up giving you "hide" options. Anything from hiding all "mafia wars", "kiss the dog", "suck the pillow", "send a rose", and all the myriad of applications glomed onto facebook to hiding the friend's posts altogether. I have hidden all the mafia wars stuff and several other apps, but still get posts and notes from my friends. Cleaned up my wall. This was necessary for my sanity so I would not have to unfriend them. I still like them even if they are crazy about cyber lives.

Yes!!! :birthday: :birthday:

Mafia Wars on my wall is now spoken of in the past tense.

Rick

:2cool:

#23 Wakemaker

Wakemaker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver (is that really

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

...It has certainly grown and I find many "friends" (most more accurately termed acquaintances) there...

"Friends" sure does reduce the meaning of the word on most social networking sites. I too have found old friends; kids I shared pre-school with and even before that, based on incriminating pictures my parents have shown me.

I'm on Facebook too. If we've met, then send me a request.

And um, Dr. Bill, it's a lot of fun reading about your 'status' changes, new pics, and the other things you delve deep in! Divers rule the world of status changing.

SDHH in Seattle this weekend? Hum? What did you say? I just need to know. Tell me it is so!

#24 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

Yes!!! :thankyou: :cool1:

Mafia Wars on my wall is now spoken of in the past tense.

Rick

#25 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

OK since NOBODY I know gets on myspace anymore (I like the music part of myspace) but oh well, several people have talked me into facebook. I can't find any groups or SD friends because I guess you need emails or last names. Anyway, if anyone wants to add me PM your info. - D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#26 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

I do play mafia wars, occasionally. I got hooked on farmtown and farmville. It's a lot easier farming on facebook than it was in real life growing up. LOL. But facebook allowed me to get in touch with old classmates and relatives also.

I guess I will have to look for SD's page on facebook.

#27 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

I can't find any groups . . .

There's actually a Facebook group. Just search for SingleDivers.com or click here.

Mark
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#28 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

OK since NOBODY I know gets on myspace anymore (I like the music part of myspace) but oh well, several people have talked me into facebook. I can't find any groups or SD friends because I guess you need emails or last names. Anyway, if anyone wants to add me PM your info. - D

I'd be under
Robert E Marks
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#29 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Being "old school" but working in the world of social networking I'm really conflicted (bifurcated ?) about the merits of facebook and other sites.

When I joined the SD group on facebook - I went through the list and tried to add folks - but they were all real names (most of which I don't know) and/or pictures that are not the same as the avatar pic here - so I know I missed a lot of my favorite posters. I'm sure I'll catch up at some point.

Having my identity taken a couple of times now, I am concerned about security - but my thefts pre-dated the social networking craze so you're never really safe.

Enjoy - feel free to add me as your friend, don't be upset if I ignore the game tokens (fish, drinks, mafia tokens) that come round.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#30 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Just so the Facebook lawyers understand, I am changing the subject completely.

From one of my favourite BritComs. The IT Crowd

Explains things nicely.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users