• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Half Boy, Half Man

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

The following is posted respectfully at Kamala's request.

============================================
One Half Boy, One Half Man
============================================

The average age of the military man is 19 years. He is a short haired, tight-muscled kid who, under normal circumstances is considered by society as half man, half boy. Not yet dry behind the ears, not old enough to buy a beer, but old enough to die for his country. He never really cared much for work and he would rather wax his own car than wash his father's, but he has never collected unemployment either.

Posted Image

He's a recent High School graduate; he was probably an average student, pursued some form of sport activities, drives a ten year old jalopy, and has a steady girlfriend that either broke up with him when he left, or swears to be waiting when he returns from half a world away. He listens to rock and roll or hip-hop or rap or jazz or swing and a 155mm howitzer.

He is 10 or 15 pounds lighter now than when he was at home because he is working or fighting from before dawn to well after dusk. He has trouble spelling, thus letter writing is a pain for him, but he can field strip a rifle in 30 seconds and reassemble it in less time in the dark. He can recite to you the nomenclature of a machine gun or grenade launcher and use either one effectively if he must.

He digs foxholes and latrines and can apply first aid like a professional.

He can march until he is told to stop, or stop until he is told to march.

He obeys orders instantly and without hesitation, but he is not without spirit or individual dignity. He is self-sufficient.

He has two sets of fatigues: he washes one and wears the other. He keeps his canteens full and his feet dry.

He sometimes forgets to brush his teeth, but never to clean his rifle. He can cook his own meals, mend his own clothes, and fix his own hurts.

If you're thirsty, he'll share his water with you; if you are hungry, his food. He'll even split his ammunition with you in the midst of battle when you run low.

He has learned to use his hands like weapons and weapons like they were his hands.

He can save your life - or take it, because that is his job.

Posted Image

He will often do twice the work of a civilian, draw half the pay, and still find ironic humor in it all.

He has seen more suffering and death than he should have in his short lifetime.

He has wept in public and in private, for friends who have fallen in combat and is unashamed.

Posted Image

He feels every note of the National Anthem vibrate through his body while at rigid attention, while tempering the burning desire to 'square-away ' those around him who haven't bothered to stand, remove their hat, or even stop talking. In an odd twist, day in and day out, far from home, he defends their right to be disrespectful.

Just as did his Father, Grandfather, and Great-grandfather, he is paying the price for our freedom. Beardless or not, he is not a boy. He is the American Fighting Man that has kept this country free for over 200 years.

Posted Image

He has asked nothing in return, except our friendship and understanding. Remember him, always, for he has earned our respect and admiration with his blood.

And now we even have women over there in danger, doing their part in this tradition of going to War when our nation calls us to do so.

Posted Image

As you go to bed tonight, remember this shot. . .

A short lull, a little shade and a picture of loved ones in their helmets.

Posted Image

When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our ground troops in Afghanistan, sailors on ships, and airmen in the air, and for those in Iraq , Afghanistan and all foreign countries.

The power of prayer can be very powerful.

Posted Image

Of all the gifts you could give a US Soldier, Sailor, Coastguardsman, Marine, or Airman, prayer is the very best one.

Posted Image

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Somehow I missed this until today. Thanks to all who are serving or have served. My prayers are with you.

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Brad thank you for this poignant and timely reminder...

And I want to thank each and everyone of our men and women fighting for freedom wherever you may be....Freedom is NOT Free! :respect:

And for all those who have given the ultimate sacrafice...may we remain strong to reward you for your efforts! Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

I have seen this before, yet I couldn't turn away from reading it through to the end again. I did time on active duty, then had an 8 year break before coming back into the air force reserves. After 10 years of total service stretched over nearly 20 years, 3 deployments to saudi arabia, 1 to kuwait and traveling to 13 different countries, I never really knew what my purpose in the military was.

After 3 months of my 9 month temporary orders to new mexico, I realized what that purpose was. I left work that day and cried alone in my hotel room. It was after a private meeting informing the young airmen when they would be deploying. My life, and military, experience is now being used to train these young airmen to go to a war that not many people understand. 20 years ago, when I began learning this career field, I never imagined I would be training others to drive heavy equipment vehicles in a place they might not come home from. I have always been one to do and not teach. Now I have to teach and hope I teach not only the "job" but "life" as well so they may come home to their family and friends. Most of them will be deploying shortly before I am done here.

Thank you to all my military brothers and sisters and those who support us. :birthday:

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

Teach them well, Chris, and make them learn from your voice of experience! We need to ensure the current crop of our brethren have all the tools they need to succeed, and to survive.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users