• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Atocha Adventure Week Aug 23-29, 2010

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 Steve K.

Steve K.

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:padi advanced open water
  • Logged Dives:27

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Payment Update:

1. Steve aka SteveK ww got your $500 of $2500 deposit and your wife's $200 of $500 non-diver deposit and your friends $400 of $1000 deposit for 2 via echeck via SWP. :birthday:

Hi Kamala,

Sent in final payment for myself, Peggy, Pat and Gary. Should we be worried about the BP spill?

Awesome! We'll have the money updates done soon! The oil spill is a concern but we have no way of knowing what will happen. If you have trip insurance you should be good. If not you may wish to add it. And in an event like the oil spill PREVENTING the dives from happening...the MF people would be the ones canceling so you would be ok. You would be out chg fees on airline tickets but not the main price of the trip.

Thank you! kamala

hey Kamala....quick question: if the dive is cancelled by the Fisher family for whatever reason (oil slick, hurricane, etc) and we do not have trip insurance, is the dive portion of the fee refunded? I tried to book the combo dive/trip insurance with Dive Assure but I'm not eligible as I live in New York State.

#32 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

Payment Update:

1.Tom aka TomS (temp screen name until he registers a new one) ww got your check for $2500 for the Aug 23rd trip :teeth:

#33 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

hey Kamala....quick question: if the dive is cancelled by the Fisher family for whatever reason (oil slick, hurricane, etc) and we do not have trip insurance, is the dive portion of the fee refunded? I tried to book the combo dive/trip insurance with Dive Assure but I'm not eligible as I live in New York State.

Steve: Kamala is on her way back to the U.S. today, and may want to add to this post upon her return, but her is what she replied in an earlier post in this thread to your question:

The oil spill is a concern but we have no way of knowing what will happen. If you have trip insurance you should be good. If not you may wish to add it. And in an event like the oil spill PREVENTING the dives from happening...the MF people would be the ones canceling so you would be ok. You would be out chg fees on airline tickets but not the main price of the trip.

Thank you! kamala

#34 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Payment Update:

1. Steve aka Steve K. ww got your 5-21-10 echeck for divers and non-divers for the Aug 23 Atocha Adventure week. :D

Note: Payments only updated as of 6-1-10... balance to follow shortly. :)

#35 Steve K.

Steve K.

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

Steve: Kamala is on her way back to the U.S. today, and may want to add to this post upon her return, but her is what she replied in an earlier post in this thread to your question:

The oil spill is a concern but we have no way of knowing what will happen. If you have trip insurance you should be good. If not you may wish to add it. And in an event like the oil spill PREVENTING the dives from happening...the MF people would be the ones canceling so you would be ok. You would be out chg fees on airline tickets but not the main price of the trip.

Thank you! kamala

Hi Cat Fish,

Yeah, I realize that with the trip insurance I'm covered. My question is what happens if we don't have the trip insurance, but the dive is cancelled by the family....will they refund the dive portion without trip insurance?

#36 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I realize that with the trip insurance I'm covered.

This is interesting. Which DiveAssure program would cover cancelation by oil slick? Their best policy, Diamond, doesn't seem to cover such an event. It seems to cover only situations where travel is delayed or canceled for a covered reason, such as sickness or hurricane, and as a result you can't get to your hotel or if your hotel is destroyed before travel begins or after you arrive. An oil slick won't keep you from getting to your hotel nor keep you from staying in the hotel. Expressly excluded from coverage are cancelations by a tour operator unless a result of weather. An oil slick isn't weather. SD and/or Fisher are surely tour operators. Also expressly excluded from coverage is diving in an area where diving is forbidden, which, I presume, would include a situation where government closes an area to diving. In the event, you might file a claim with BP. Good luck with that!

I took a look at the DAN trip cancellation coverage via the link here on SD. It, too, does not seem to provide any coverage for anything like oil slick. It does, however, cover voluntary cancellation due to a terrorist incident, something not covered by DiveAssure.

I also took a look at the CSA Freestyle Luxe policy via the link here on SD. Unlike the other two policies, it does provide optional (for an extra charge) cancellation "for any reason." Cancellation must be made at least 48 hours before the original scheduled departure. The maximum recovery on a claim is on a sliding scale. As far as I know, SD never refunds payments made, in which case the maximum reimbursement payable by CSA is 70% of the trip cost. After travel has started but you cannot continue, you cannot collect unless you are sick or injured, hurricane, or the like. If the tour operator fails to deliver promised services, you get nothing unless they file for bankruptcy (but only if you paid for the optional insurance within 24 hours of booking the trip and the operator doesn't go bankrupt for at least 14 days thereafter). There is no payment on a claim if you have completed 50% or more of your trip or have fewer than 5 days remaining.

In any case, it is clear that "can't dive due to oil slick" is almost certainly not covered by any of these policies except the "cancel for any reason" CSA policy that will reimburse you no more than 70% and only if you have satisfied their numerous "gotcha" conditions.

Before paying for any of these policies, read and understand the fine print. I can tell you from personal experience that it can be exceedingly difficult to collect on these sorts of policies. My mother signed up for a cruise and bought a policy recommended by the cruise line. She died about 3 weeks prior to sailing. The cruise and insurance companies were notified immediately. Nonetheless, it took me more than 5 months and many, many hours of my time (as executor of her estate) to collect ("how do we know this death certificate is real? Was she ill when she signed up for the cruise 11 months prior? Provide a doctor's statement saying so. We lost the paperwork, send it again. That person no longer works here. Can you prove that is her signature on the insurance form? The application doesn't include her middle name, maybe it is someone else. etc."). In the end, considering my billable rate, it would have been more economic to just forget it.

Edited by TexasDiver, 15 June 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#37 Steve K.

Steve K.

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

In the end, considering my billable rate, it would have been more economic to just forget it.

Great stuff! Thanks for that....I guess it comes down to my original question: if the Fishers say we can't dive, do they give us the dive portion of the trip (approx. $1500) back? I would be able to amuse myself in Key West for a week, no problem :cool1:

Kamala: please clarify. Thanks.

Edited by Steve K., 15 June 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:20 AM

In the end, considering my billable rate, it would have been more economic to just forget it.

Great stuff! Thanks for that....I guess it comes down to my original question: if the Fishers say we can't dive, do they give us the dive portion of the trip (approx. $1500) back? I would be able to amuse myself in Key West for a week, no problem :pray:

Hi Steve...have not forgotten you. I will have a full response today after speaking to the Mel Fisher folks on several matters! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 Steve K.

Steve K.

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Great stuff! Thanks for that....I guess it comes down to my original question: if the Fishers say we can't dive, do they give us the dive portion of the trip (approx. $1500) back? I would be able to amuse myself in Key West for a week, no problem :teeth:

Hi Steve...have not forgotten you. I will have a full response today after speaking to the Mel Fisher folks on several matters! -ww

Thanks Kamala, hope we don't have to deal with it, but it's good to know that the Fishers will take care of us!

#40 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT UPDATE:

We now have a waiting list for many of these trips. With the Fisher Treasure's announcement that your investment is safe if the oil spill prevents this trip from running all payments are due in full or you risk cancellation of your spot with minimal if any refund. We must finalize payments for this trip. If you are experiencing any reason we should know about regarding the delay in your payment then please advise us ASAP. Otherwise Sylvia aka cat fish will notify anyone in arrears about this and the previous message on the refunds if impacted by the oil spill. If you are not paid in full in the next few days and we have not heard from you we will have no choice but to cancel your spot for non-payment. Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#41 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Reposting...for some reason this did not post in this thread on the 16th like it did in ALL the other threads.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FISHER FAMILY UPDATE:

Much discussion has arisen regarding the affects of the oil spill on the dives and how the Fisher Organization will handle cancellations if the oil reaches Key West. I have rec'd a final decision on this and am happy to announce that if the oil reaches Key West preventing divers from diving that the Fisher Organization will cancel the trip and provide a full refund of the $2500 paid. This is regardless of whether you have trip insurance or not. The only exception would be if we were in the middle of a trip and the oil arrived DURING the trip. At that point a partial refund would be given for the diving and/or any other components of the trip that could no longer be utilized due to the oil spill.

I am sure this is the reply that you all hoped for and kudos to the Fisher Organization for taking this course of action. - Kamala

formerly...

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Payment in full is OVER DUE FOR THIS TRIP. Please remit by Midnight June 30th via our payment gateway link

or risk losing your spot(s). We have a waiting list for this trip and need to close out the existing spots or free them up for others. :welcome:

formerly...

#43 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Payment Update:

1. Steve aka Steve K. ww got your 5-21-10 echeck for divers and non-divers for the Aug 23 Atocha Adventure week. :teeth:
Note: Payments only updated as of 6-1-10... balance to follow shortly. :thankyou:

Steve aka Steve K: To follow up on my earlier post, you are ALL PAID UP for yourself (diver) and your three non-divers!! :twist:

#44 PirateDave

PirateDave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:34

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Wreckwench

I will be contating you this morning concenring this and I expect right after we talk I will go online and do the funds transfer through the website. Thanks for the good news from the Fisher folks as it did not appear that any of the dive insurance options would have covered oil spills...

Thanks
PirateDave
:thankyou:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Payment in full is OVER DUE FOR THIS TRIP. Please remit by Midnight June 30th via our payment gateway link

or risk losing your spot(s). We have a waiting list for this trip and need to close out the existing spots or free them up for others. :teeth:

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

PAYMENT DUE IN FULL BY JUNE 30th MIDNIGHT OR SPOT COULD BE RELEASED TO WAITING LIST:

Hello Atocha Adventure Divers! I know many of you are worried about the oil spill and its affect on this trip. The Fisher Family has generously agreed to refund every diver the trip payment in full should the trips have to be canceled. Of course the trip would be prorated for the unusable components if the oil should hit during a trip in progress. That being said all payments for these trips are due in full 90 days prior to departure which was a while ago. Now that the uncertainty regarding the impact of the oil spill has been removed, you must pay for your spots in full by Midnight June 30th or risk your spot(s) being taken by those on the waiting list.

NUMEROUS divers are worried that this opportunity will not exist next year and want a spot THIS YEAR! Please keep in mind that the trip threads do not reflect most of the waiting lists as we have not had a chance to update them fast enough. However NEARLY EVERY TRIP HAS A WAITING LIST and its growing as we advise the active mailing list of Atocha fans the sold out trip status for this year.

So please get your payments in immediately for your spots. Any person signed up for a trip who is not paid in full will receive a private communication to also advise them of this payment requirement.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Kamala Shadduck Official Booking Agent Atocha Adventures

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users