• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Fitness...How much is enough?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:49 AM

As diving has become more available to the masses it has attracted people from all walks of life and all levels of physical ability. Do you think there should be a minimum standard of fitness to protect both the diver and others that may be diving with them?

I would like to ask:

1. Do you have a regular exercise program if so do you do just aerobics -just anerobic or both-please give general description-

2. If you do not workout state reasons for not doing so?

3. What do you feel the minimum level of workout is for "acceptable fitness" for diving? Please be specific

4. What kind of diet do you eat? twinkies- meat- veggies etc

thanks.....

#2 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:01 AM

I can give a you a general response. When we knew we would be diving, we started a regular, focused excercise program. We mainly did running and aerobic stuff. When we started, we could only do two miles in about 40 minutes -- no kidding. It was that bad. Our goal was to be able to do two miles in 20 minutes by the time we left for Hawaii. After 4 months, we reached our goal.

The difference in my air consumption underwater was amazing -- I was more efficient.

I did not change our diets.

And now to the heart of this post: I do not regret the running and all the aerobic stuff, that was worthwhile. What I regret not doing prior to our trip was weight training. I am not kidding: Hauling around two sets of gear through airports, hotels, being winded at the end of a dive then lifting water-logged gear off our backs..... Muscle really helps while diving. I am not way under-muscled per se -- likely average, and it was clear to me, that NOT doing weight conditioning was a huge gap in our dive training.

I think cardio training and weight conditioning/ training are the best combination for diving.

That is what I have only recently started to do.

I don't think minimum standards can really protect divers and their buddies.

Edited by mvillanueva, 28 August 2004 - 10:05 AM.

Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#3 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 28 August 2004 - 10:59 AM

I would agree with the last post that any excersize regime should include resistance (weight) training. That goes for ANY regime whether your getting fit for diving or anything else. However I think you should focus on cardiovascular training, running, cycling, anything that gets you out of breath as this improves your gas consumption and fitness for prolonged swimming.

Personally I do the following 3 times a week:
40 minutes of cardio: cycling, rowing, cross-trainer, stepping
30 minutes of weights: Legs - Squat/leg press, Back - Lat pull down, Arms/Shoulders - Bench Press, Arm Curl, Shoulder Press.

Im also a vegetarian.

I would think 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week would be enough to get you fit enough to dive. Although everone is different and Im no fitness expert!

I beleive all divers, certainly Rescue Divers and above, should be fit enough to help another diver in an emergency. eg tow a diver 100m to the boat, swim fast enough to help an OOA diver or similar emergency, fight a reasonable current etc.

I would be interested to know what the instructors feel about this as it applies to OW training, or any other level for that matter. Has anyone ever failed a student because they were unfit?

-Jack
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#4 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:03 AM

I agree with MV. I do cardio and weight training about four times aweek focusing more on weight training. When I have a dive trip comming up, then I up my cardio work out. It does helps with air consumption and is just good to know that if an emergency occurs, you will be in shape to safely repond to it.

My program consists of 20 minutes of aerobic exrcise three times per week. I do the stair master or something similar. Then, I do weights four times per week. Mondays and Thursdays I do "push" muscles and Tuesdays and Fridays "pull" muscles and legs. This works for me. This schedule gives me what I need for day to day demands. About a month before a trip, I go to 30 minutes 4 times a week for aerobics and increase the intensity and heartbeat rate. This is what helps me with my air consumption.

My diet varies but it is mainly made of high protein and good carbs. I eat fish at least three times per week and focus mainly in good sources of protein like chicken, turkey, and lean beef. I eat good carbs like beans, vegies, etc. I take a multi vitamin every day and, aside from my protein shakes, I do not spend my cash in supplements. Once a week I do allow myself to eat what I want like last night at the Cheesecake Factory where I had the biggest chunk of Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake. Boy it was good. :teeth:

As far as what is the minimun fitness level for diving, it is hard for me to answer because it all depend on your lifestyle and age. I am not an expert in the field but I can tell you that I, working in a office, do require more exercise that someone working handling bagage in airports. It is hard for me to explain but if jump in the water fully geared and I am huffing and puffing just because I was walking around the boat in full gear, I am out of shape. I need to exercise pronto. If I can sprint underwater to catch up with a turtle and I feel good afterwards, my training is working. I guess is just common sense based on the demands of your activities. Maybe Kamala can give you and I a little bit of help here. I understand she is the guru in exercise and nutrition issues. :lmao:

Anyway, I hope my two cents help you.

Julio

#5 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 28 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

Thanks to everybody who has posted so far.....My questions are really more open for discussison. I fall into the same catagory as most here. I exercise 5-6 days a week with both aerobic (running, swimming, cycling and Aikido) and weight training. I eat a healty diet that consists or lean meats, fish high in Omega-3 fatty acids and good carbs....I also eat more than my share of fruit and vegetables. At least one day a week I work on breathing exercises to help regulate my breathing and expand my aerobic capacity. I do have a beer or two or a glass of wine several nights a week. I am not a "sweets" person so I will generally have fruit and cheese while everyone else enjoys the chocolate yummies.

#6 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

Sounds to me like you are doing just fine. :lmao:

#7 rbs262

rbs262

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:10 PM

The program you described is actually quite appropriate for the sport. While you didn't describe your specific emphasis, I would suggest varying your cardio workouts to provide for light load - recovery - days and then working much harder on other days to achieve true gains at an anaerobic threshold level. This will improve efficiency of oxygen usage and that will translate directly to exertion during diving. The hard work should total about 25% to 50% of the total workout distance, time or effort, depending on your level of fitness.

The final area I would suggest including, beyond weight training for strength, is the use of plyometrics for strength and muscular explosiveness. I am especially partial to lunges and jumping drills. There are many resources available on the internet that provide examples. The important thing is to make certain they target the desired muscle systems and that you use the correct technique when doing them to prevent injury.

Good luck and safe diving!

#8 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 28 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

Twinkies!! Chocolate yummy's..... yum :lmao:

Sugarbad

Actually.. I work out 5 times a week for an 1 1/2. My regime constitutes of a 2 1/2 mile run and the strength training. However, the quality of my food consumption leaves much to be desired. (I'm not even going to go there right now..) (But I am attempting to work on it)

Part but not all of my workout is because of diving. I want to be able to be healthy enough to dive the way I want to dive, carry my stuff and help my buddies and or others that might need help.

Diving, like any other "sport" requires some level of physical fitness and with the more technical/advanced you go the more you need to take care of yourself and tailor your gear for that kind of diving.

But with your regime and the way you dive.. I think you are set.
I'll race ya.

p.s. Julio.. right on about the cheescake factory!
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#9 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:46 AM

Hmm, let me see.

1. Do you have a regular exercise program if so do you do just aerobics -just anerobic or both-please give general description-
I try to work out 3-5 days a week...30-40 minutes low impact aerobics (previous injuries and joints aging!! :anna: and 30 min to 1 hr weights, varying body parts.

2. If you do not workout state reasons for not doing so? N/A. While I do not work out specifically for diving.. my goals are cardiovascular fitness and weight control.. the side benefits are obvious.

3. What do you feel the minimum level of workout is for "acceptable fitness" for diving? Please be specific. ???? Can't say any limits should be set. But if a diver is putting his/her buddy at risk, that would be concerning. I have seen people who are larger than the relatively anorexic "ideals" demonstrate an incredible amount of cardiovascular fitness. On the other hand, I have also seen some outright morbidly obese divers who are statistically more prone to medical problems. As a small woman, it did make me pause and wonder how I would be able to help if I were around them in their time of need!

4. What kind of diet do you eat? twinkies- meat- veggies etc. Low carb, high protein, normal fat :lmao: . OK anything with good chocolate is on the "OK to eat" list. A woman has got to live!!! Don't forget that everyone's metabolism is different. Figure out what works for you, whether it be low carb or low fat!! (Or if you are one of those annoying people who can guzzle everything without gaining a pound!!!)

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:05 AM

oh, admit it...all of you!!!!

a twinkie'd be pretty good right about now, huh????

#11 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:30 AM

Whipped cream on top TF? :lmao:

#12 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:03 AM

OK, I'll admit it- I don't work out at all! But, no twinkies for me...
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#13 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:58 PM

oh, admit it...all of you!!!!

a twinkie'd be pretty good right about now, huh????

Hey, I admitted I binge on chocolate!!!!

#14 mcgintz

mcgintz

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Board Status:In town
  • Cert Level:WASi open Water
  • Logged Dives:31

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:31 AM

All of the workouts have been great however they are forgetting one important element.

What happens underwater when you get excited you begin to breath at a more rapid rate! By sprinting or doing what is called interval training will help you with this. The reason being that you will be able to recover from the excursion at a faster rate and get your breathing to a more normal level.

If you want to weight train but want to maintain an aerobic state then perform what is called circuit training. This will keep your body at an aerobic state, I would recommend doing the bicycle or running and throw in the interval training, sprints would be considered interval, also if you have access to a pool swimming freestyle is great because you have to control your breathing and your stroke.

The US Navy Seals at Coronado as well as Force recon train their men like this.

I try and Run sprints twice a week
Swim a mile 5 times a week
Plus will lift weights for about and hour and half and at the end will perform a circuit-training regimen from my days in the military
20 by 20 pushups
20 by 50 sit-ups
20 by 20 dips
20 by 10 pull-ups. This is to be performed one after another with no rest.
You should always make sure to train the core of the body; this would be your abs and lower back.
I would recommend meeting with a trainer so he could help you with form this includes running and breathing, running is about rhythm the average person should be able to run a mile in 8 min increments.

The Workout above is also for the advanced fitness enthusiast or the elite units in the Military. I myself have been training for about 16 years. As a World Class athlete representing US National teams and a member of the Marine Corps recon unit.

My last two cents in the end-- it is what makes you more confident and it depends on how comfortable you are in the water. People who are in not as good shape as myself consume air better then I. But working out is good and will always benefit everyone who does it as well as a balanced diet (not Atkins) the body needs Carbs when working out.
"There are those that dream of sucess and then there are those that wake up and do something about it. " What one are you?

#15 depthcharge65

depthcharge65

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:31 AM

hey, I'm with you guys on the chocolate. I could annihilate a carton of ice cream a night, no problem. kudos to ben and jerry's for their new yogurt flavors, though there is something to be said for the occaisonal splurge on the real stuff.

I gotta agree with everybody on the need for fitness, and I think diving is a great motivator. Though I've been diving only a couple of months, my standard for the last 15 years has been to work out three to five times a week, whenever possible, but that's primarily because I spent a few years in the Army and never really got out of the practice. I used to run a lot, especially in the service, but now it's mainly gym work and biking. I enjoy doing multi-day stuff when I get the chance, such as hiking and canoeing.

But what really is the minimum level of fitness for diving? My father has expressed some interest in pursuing the sport with me, but he's had some problems in the past, including a stroke and hip replacement surgery. I've told him the first thing he needs to do is to get a thorough physical. I'd love for us to go diving together, but I am concerned that these problems may prevent him for doing so.

cheers,

depthcharge
:respect:
"Sixty-three dollars
and a chain link fence
is all that separates me
from my El Camino."

-from Redneck Haikus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users