• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you do to keep in shape?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

What do you do for exercise that you particularly enjoy (keep it clean :birthday: ) and what do you stick with? What motivates you?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#2 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

I started running thirty years ago and have put over 60,000 miles on my feet (fins). I live next to Duke Forest so that I can run in the woods and not get hit by a car or smell their exhaust. Being hit while running is not fun. I know, as it once happened to me on a 40 below morning in Fairbanks, Alaska February 25, 1989, the day after my birthday. Also I lift weights and swim, and I do a bit of yoga :birthday: . In my early days of scuba diving, I would run in the early morning in advance of diving, but now I know that is not a good idea. I would also try to get in a run before getting on a liveaboard trip and again on the Saturday early morning before departing the boat while it was at the dock. But now I do not really do that...unless it works out easily. Once in September 2003, almost swept away by waters in Cabo as hurricane arriving as we got off Solmar V after diving Sea of Cortez. That ended a pair of shoes. :birthday:

#3 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

Being hit while running is not fun. I know, as it once happened to me on a 40 below morning in Fairbanks, Alaska February 25, 1989, the day after my birthday. ....... Once in September 2003, almost swept away by waters in Cabo ... That ended a pair of shoes. :-D

So let me get this straight. You love running - 40 below, being hit by a car, and having your shoes sucked off by hurricane tides? :birthday: I'm just not sure that's a ringing endorsement for running. :birthday: Anyone?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#4 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

The thing about running is that you sweat out all the negatives. It reminds you of Scarlett O'Hara's great line-- "Tomorrow is another day". And you also have to run five or more miles at a time to experience "runner's high" when those opiates in the brain kick in, much like the equanimity one gets when comfortable underwater. Perhaps I should mention my experience a week before being hit by the car. Along with a buddy, we went 3 1/2 hours north of Fairbanks to Circle Hot Springs at the Arctic Circle near the Yukon with the cover that we were meeting several folks for our work, and I left the lodge at 4 in the morning to run. Wearing many layers to deal with the 50 below temp and gliding along a snowy, icy narrow road, with no civilization nearby, I saw more stars than even far at sea plus the amazing aurora borealis was like millions of Kandinsky paintings constantly changing shapes and colors plus the moon was full. After five miles, I heard wolves howling and looked up and there was a full eclipse of the moon. I decided it was time to turn around, and I ran a bit faster back toward the lodges. They had a 25 yard swimming pool outdoors which was warmed by the hot springs to 110 degrees. I stripped ALL my clothes off and jumped in and swam a mile. As my head was above water, my hair froze, and below water, it thawed. The loneliness of the long distance runner to the max. :birthday:

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

Just the thought of running gives me horrible Army flashbacks, where we got up before dawn and ran for miles in our combat boots on wet (i.e. slippery) cobblestones. I swore when I got out of the Army I would not run another step unless some bad guy was chasing me......and so far I've managed to stick to that!

Power walking releases the endorphines too, and doing that on my shock-absorbing treadmill is much kinder to my knees than pounding the pavement outside. To stay motivated, I have a favorite guilty-pleasure TV program, and I am not allowed to watch it unless I am on the treadmill......

Sticking with it is another story. Since I work around exercise equipment, and I do assist in the showroom when we have a lot of customers in the store, at this time of year I am heartily SICK of demonstrating equipment and have serious problems going home and getting on my own......

But when busy season ends, I manage to get back on track, because DANG IT, nobody has invented that magic fat-melting pill yet!! :birthday:
Posted Image

#6 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

-50 degrees... so not jealous
seeing the aurora farther north away from the city lights... so very jealous
running on slippery icy roads at 4am... so not jealous
seeing the stars again without all the city lights... again, so very jealous

never saw the aurora as some describe it, we were too far south when I was a kid in Alaska, but I do miss seeing the stars like you can when your nearest neighbor is at least a block away if not farther and people turn off their porch lights when everyone has come home in the early evening...

I remember running just to run as a kid, but gave up the idea of running in place of riding a bike or walking and need to get back into the walking habit. Hopefully I will now as I have a two week break from teaching. (I'd show you how happy I am for the break but just got home in the last hour and am too exhausted!)

#7 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

WORK FOR UPS!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#8 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

What do you do for exercise that you particularly enjoy (keep it clean :birthday: ) and what do you stick with? What motivates you?

What motivates me, is the fact that You,I & others recognize the fact that we should keep ourselves fit & maintain a healthy life style to some degree.Also,trying to keep the lbs. down.I will raise the :) flag for swiming, again. I am now smoke free for 10 months.I am up to 3/4 of a mile . I have felt & see the difference in my air useage plus the strengthing of my diaphragm, since I started swiming.I have been advised it's one of the best cardio work outs.I think its only natural ,that we as divers would select a sport of similiarity.Thats my short story. :birthday:
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#9 Xcelratr

Xcelratr

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Diver
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

When I have my act together, bike riding. I used to mtb because to me road bike = street = ending up as the hood ornament on some moron's F150 eventually. Mtb = dirt trails away from streets = :)

A few years ago, I moved to an area where everything is paved, no off road trails. But I'm <3 miles from the ocean, and there's a dedicated bike path along the beach. So I bought a road bike and can ride it on side streets almost all the way to the beach, with just a short stint on a major street (no bike lane, but very wide right lane cuz of parking). So now I road bike for the most part and mtb only occassionally.

I have done the MS Ride (100 miles/2 days/Irvine to San Diego) twice and really enjoyed it both times. It also helped motivate me to get out of my office at a reasonable hour several nights a week and do some long rides on weekends to get ready. Now I've been off the bike and allowing work and holidays to get in the way. What I'd like to do is find a charity ride or race every few months so that I always have something I'm training for.

I also found a way to use my data-junkie personality to motivate me. I have a gps for the bike that records each ride, and I get a kick out of downloading it to the computer after every ride, looking at speed/pace/cadence/HR/blah blah blah. That motivates me to ride, as well.

Besides that, I play basketball and occassionally go to the gym to do whatever cardio machine is available and lift some weights. Gotta do more of that, though. The Lbs are winning the war at the moment.
and I've learned much from both of their styles.

#10 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

4 miles a day on the tread mill for interval training. Warm up, then work up to a 10% incline, back down to 7% up and down for 4 miles. Very good work out. My endurance level is pretty good these days and I have lost about 65 lbs in the last year. The motivation is being fit for diving. I recently returned from a dive trip where I did 5 dives a day for a week and was still ready to work out at the end of the day. ( did not do that because I was on a liveaboard)
It was pretty hard to get into the routine at first. I work a ten to twelve hour day at my job so coming home and getting on the treadmill after a day like that was tuff. Now it is just part of my day.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#11 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

My endurance level is pretty good these days and I have lost about 65 lbs in the last year.

Jim

WOWEE! :thankyou: Good for you! Did you change your eating habits?

#12 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

My endurance level is pretty good these days and I have lost about 65 lbs in the last year.

Jim

WOWEE! :dance: Good for you! Did you change your eating habits?

Not too much. I have been eating less as I have become more fit. Not so much from intentionally cutting back. Just not as hungry or as interested in eating.

I eat pretty healthy anyway but the one thing I was not willing to give up is my evening wine before dinner, with dinner and after dinner :thankyou: Lol! So I had to increase my work out enough to compensate for that....
Sea Turtle advocate!

#13 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well, they say red wine is good for the heart...... :thankyou:

Wish I liked red wine, but I prefer semi-sweet whites.....[sigh]
Posted Image

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Well, they say red wine is good for the heart...... :dance:

Wish I liked red wine, but I prefer semi-sweet whites.....

Nobody's made the magic fat melting pill but I bet someone's made a red wine pill. :dance: If you take it with your semi-sweet white then it'd be as good as a red.

Of course I have a whole theory of alcohol, salt, and fat. The alcohol breaks down the fat and then the salt raises my blood pressure enough to pump the fat through my system. :thankyou: I know, there's only about 49 things wrong with that theory. :dance:

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

Of course I have a whole theory of alcohol, salt, and fat. The alcohol breaks down the fat and then the salt raises my blood pressure enough to pump the fat through my system. :thankyou: I know, there's only about 49 things wrong with that theory. :dance:

:dance: Makes about as much sense as my rationalizing in the Christmas Cookie calorie thread...... :dance:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users