• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2010 Health & Fitness Challenge?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#16 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

Anytime the subject is improving fitness, I am ready to be involved. Having started running in 1979 at 5'11" and 210 lbs and within less than a year getting to 6'1" (yoga and hanging upside down) and 164 lbs, I think I know a bit from experience.

I would LOVE to gain 2-4 inches of height, but only if I could gain it in the legs (sigh) :thankyou:

You know that is possible but that just makes me hurt thinking about that process.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#17 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

I would LOVE to gain 2-4 inches of height, but only if I could gain it in the legs (sigh) :thankyou:

You know that is possible but that just makes me hurt thinking about that process.

I know. Much as I would like longer legs, that is not something that I would do for sake of vanity.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#18 Rumblebee

Rumblebee

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:Tec 45 / Intro Cave / Sidemount Diver
  • Logged Dives:N/A

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

After the pitch I received from Kamala on the Mona trip about her nutrition program, I'm on pins and needles waiting for details! Go ahead and put me down as a participant for the 2010 Health & Fitness Challenge. :thankyou:

Matt
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. (Mark Twain)

#19 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

Monday the 28th I start my 21-Day Commitment to a company here in Houston called "MyFitFoods."

Link to "MyFitFoods" in Houston, TX

I was using a company here in Houston to prepare my meals for me called Diet Gourmet, until my dentist told me about MFF.

After starting CrossFit, I had to accept the the diet is just as important as the exercise (training), as is sleep.

In this program they are all about the Glycemic Index and not spiking insulin levels, so I'll be eating 5 times a day (every 3 hours). I'll start my day with a Liver Cleanse that is:

12 oz. Water
4 oz. Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Squeezed Lemon

Then I will have a breakfast, followed by one capsule of cinnamon, and one capsule of milk thistle.

Three hours later a snack.

Then lunch, and another round of a capsule of cinnamon and milk thistle.

In the afternoon a snack, and then for dinner a low-carb meal. They say carbs at the end of the day influence sleep patterns.

They work on the following nutritional breakdown: 40% Carbs - 30% Protein - 30% Fat.

I believe the plan I'll be on is 1600 - 1800 calories a day. Which will be a deficit for my lifestyle. We can adjust that after the 21 days to see if I am maintaining my weight, losing or gaining.

My main goal is to break this horrible sugar addiction I have and try to get my intake back under control.

I wanted to add the reason I am using an outside vendor for my food is for the simple fact, as a sugar addict, I can't be trusted on my own to feed myself properly. It's all too easy as a single guy with no kids, to just swing through Whataburger.

So this company for about $25 - $27 a day, makes all my meals, prepares my snacks and gives me a personal nutritionist to discuss my needs whenever I need her. She organizes my meals, and has them bagged up for me when I swing by to pick them up.

In my next post I talk about what supplements I take.

Edited by Houston Squid, 27 December 2009 - 05:46 PM.

Signature under construction :)

#20 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

I tried with all my heart to simplify my life and put as few supplements in my mouth, but no matter what I do I seem return to my old habits.

The first supplement EVERYONE can use and should use is an OMEGA 3 (Fish Oil). There are an arms length of reasons for Omega 3's and most people know reducing cholesterol as the main reason.

If that's the reason you know or why you take them then good on you. You are on the right track.

The reason I take them is quite simply: Inflammation

The body reacts to the world around it in mysterious ways, but one way for sure is inflammation (it's no accident why doctors are telling people to take an aspirin (an anti-inflammatory) for their heart.

If you're a bit older and starting exercise, you are going to hurt some part of you. When the body is hurt it inflames.

There are other good reasons for Fish Oils such as: lowering blood pressure, lessening blood clots, and many more.

Next we have to discuss the dosing.

Most things I read say you need 3 grams of Fish Oil minimum, but that is no longer the proper way to measure. The actual active ingredients in the fish oil is EPA/DHA. However, other experts say to concentrate on the minimum of 1800 of the combined amounts of EPA/DHA.

For example in NSI Mega EFA a serving is two capsules. In those two pills you get 2126mg or 2.13 grams of Purified Fish Oil, and 800 EPA & 400 DHA (1200 EPA/DHA). In the case of this product you would want to add a 3rd capsule (1063mg or 1.06 grams of Fish Oil) to get the additional 400 EPA & 200 DHA.

Look at your labels, and make sure your brand is matching these kind of numbers and make sure you are getting the minimum required to make it worth your while.

Fish Burps -- this will vary from product to product so don't give up experimenting until you find a brand that it doesn't happen. Try putting the capsules in the fridge or even freezing them.

Bottom line ... take your fish oil. It truly is the miracle supplement of our lifetime (and better than grandmas cod liver oil). Also, it's brain food and we can all use more of that.

#21 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Add me to the list too. Over the last two years I've been able to drop 30 pounds and I'd really like to lose 10 more.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#22 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

I can sympathize with ya, Squid! Sugar (in all it's forms) is why I continue my Battle of the Bulge. It's just too easy to grab fast carbs when you're busy (or lazy!) and hungry.

I'm finding it harder to give up sugar than it was to quit smoking! :thankyou: I think my realistic goal for 2010 is to find a happy medium....one that will allow me to lose the pounds I need to lose to make my doctor happy again, but still give myself the occasional treat. The trick will be to have the treat without falling back into that sugar addiction.....
Posted Image

#23 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

Alright, this post is certain to confirm my insanity. Earlier I talked about adding Omega 3s to your life, now I am going to share with you my daily supplements and try to explain (make excuses) their benefits.

Morning Supplements:

In the mornings I wake up and the first thing I take is:

800 mg - SAM-e

SAM-e is mostly known for it's mood enhancing effects, and benefits for depression. It is actually a prescription drug in Europe (Spain and Germany, I think). But, it is also good for joint health and considering my now being on the back side of mid-40s I want my joints protected from my insane workouts. There is also substantiated evidence SAM-e is good for liver health. And what can be so bad about any mood enhancing too. I would say that if you are already on any form of Anti-Depressant (Zoloft, Welbutrin, etc) to OK this one with your doctor.

My SAM-e Brand and Details

---------------------------------------

Thirty minutes after my SAM-e is in my belly I make my morning concoction that includes the following:

1 oz. - Buried Treasure VM-100 Complete Citrus Medley -- My Multi-Vitamin Liquid Form

I use liquid or sublingual products where ever I can. I once met a man who own and Port-Can company and he told me about what they catch in their "screens" and apparently our ingested pills don't always dissolve properly.

2 oz. - Lily of the Desert Organic Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice -- My Aloe Vera Juice Info

I mix these two above into a cup and then add a little juice to dilute the liquid vitamin a little.

Mid-Morning (After workout on WO Days)

5 grams - Biotest Creatine Monohydrate (German Micronized) -- Biotest Creatine Monohydrate Information

I take a Creatine supplement everyday. On non-workout day I just take it mid morning. On work-out days I make up my Creatine Drink and include my morning Vitamins and Aloe Juice all into one cup.

I use a super high quality German Micronized Pure Creatine. Because it is plain and doesn't include any of the marketing gimmicks you have to take it with Grape Juice or another high carb liquid to get it into the muscles.

Since I am not a body-builder, I do not use creatine for bulking. I use it purely for strength gains and muscle recovery. It really works.

Because I am not trying to increase size, I did not do a "Loading Phase" and I maintain a daily intake of 5 grams.

In the Evenings:

When I get ready for bed I take my night time concoction.

2 TSP -- Peter Gillham Natural Calm Raspberry-Lemon -- Natural Calm - Magnesium Powder

This little supplement has changed my life for the better. Magnesium powder puts me to bed. It's that simple. I was having horrible sleeping problems until I added this powder to my life. You take the two teaspoons of this powder and slowly dissolve it until it is no longer fizzy. Be careful it fizzes easily.

I then toss in a couple ice cubes to cool off the fluid and add the following:

1 oz -- Buried Treasure Pure Colloidal Minerals Liquid -- My Liquid Minerals Info

2 oz -- 2 oz. - Lily of the Desert Organic Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Juice -- My Aloe Vera Juice Info

Once I make up this liquid concoction I use it to take my two daily prescription pills. Also note, I separate my liquid vitamins from my liquid minerals. I have read that vitamins and minerals work better when taken separately. But who knows.

My last supplement of the day is very OPTIONAL. I take a sublingual Melatonin from time to time to help if I am not sleepy. I max out at 5MG.

2.5 to 5 MG -- Source Naturals Melatonin Sublingual Peppermint -- My Sublingual Melatonin Source

When I quit drinking a year ago I was having horrible problems sleeping. The combination of Magnesium powder and Melatonin CURED this issue. Many people also take the Magnesium for their Restless Leg Syndrome.

Supplements I discussed earlier for food digestion were Cinnamon and Milk Thistle. Their primary purpose is to control the digestion process to make the food stay in the stomach longer, and to help curb carbohydrate processing.

Another supplement many high-level athletes use are digestive enzymes, such as "Digestin" ... I have this product on back order, but will begin taking very soon. Here's more info: Digestin - Digestive Enzyme Info

Mainly Digestin would be taken so that you suck every last bit of healthy nutrients out of your food before it moves on to become waste.

As I said when I first started this little write up ... I'm crazy with my supplements, but everyone has a purpose (except maybe the colloidal minerals. I just don't know if I get enough already in my regular food, but what the heck.

The Aloe Juice is purely for stomach health. I read it is also good for your skin, etc., but I don't know about that.

That's enough for now. I hope my links are helpful and get you reading and studying what extra things you may need to add to your nutrition that we don't tend to get from modern farming products.

#24 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'm finding it harder to give up sugar than it was to quit smoking!

The same with me and alcohol. On Dec 20th, 2008 I just stopped. No programs, no steps, nothing. Well, I did supplement a little counseling in there, but that was more for the root issues, not the drinking itself.

I never had a craving, a close call or anything. But with sugar, it's like I am a TV show crack head. I will pull off in a bad neighborhood to get a pack of sour candy, like Zours, or Sweetarts, etc.

If I ever behaved with alcohol the way I do with sugar I would have needed to be institutionalized and strait jacketed. :-D

My other issue, is I have totally made food my reward system too. I live such a straight laced mundane lifestyle, with no real vices, that I find myself saying to myself, "What's left, food is my only gift to myself."

But the real truth is, I think we all do as much or more damage to our bodies with the foods we eat than just about anything else.

Watch the movie Food, Inc., and you will very quickly that what most of us put in our mouths as food is just manufactured garbage with very little nutritional value.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup is the Devil~ :thankyou:

#25 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Squidly you are making me feel incredibly lazy with your regimen... I'm going to blame anemia! My regimen is now including iron pills and as much iron-rich food as I possibly can get in my body since the doc diagnosed the anemia as the reason I've been so tired. Got a couple other things going on but hopefully I'll get myself back on my feet and definitely can use all the support here I can get to getting myself healthy!

Er, um, sugar... I confess, I am VERY addicted!

#26 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

Watch the movie Food, Inc., and you will very quickly that what most of us put in our mouths as food is just manufactured garbage with very little nutritional value.

There have been a series of good movies along that line. Or maybe I finally started paying attention. :-D

Put me on the list. I appreciate the info people are sharing. For me to stick with something for the long haul, it has to be simple. I'll never cut out goodies/alcohol entirely. Getting together with my girlfriends and having a chick-day with rich food and wine is truly enjoyable - not to mention it's cheap therapy. :thankyou:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#27 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Getting together with my girlfriends and having a chick-day with rich food and wine is truly enjoyable - not to mention it's cheap therapy. :thankyou:

This 21-Day Challenge I'm doing allows one cheat meal every 7 days. Of course, they recommend I take Metamucil capsules along with the meal to help curb some of the badness, and move it on out in a hurry :-D

#28 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

This 21-Day Challenge I'm doing allows one cheat meal every 7 days. Of course, they recommend I take Metamucil capsules along with the meal to help curb some of the badness, and move it on out in a hurry :)

Nice you get a cheat meal and funny on the fiber. :-D Your workout looks crazy.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I love Turbo Jam (kickboxing). It's been my winter substitute for bicycling - I biked the last 12 miles to work a couple days a week when the weather was nicer. There's an awesome path that runs along the Mississippi, then above with a view of the river valley. The last two miles were on the shoulder of the road but the first ten made up for it. I'd see eagles, turkeys, etc. almost every trip. I'm considering trying running again this spring. I haven't run much since I broke my leg snowboarding a few years ago. Plates, screws, surgery... :thankyou:

I'm pretty fired up to see what Kamala has in store for the fitness challenge.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#29 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:51 AM

Count me in too - down 28 pounds - the last 10 are killing me. sigh.
Known puker

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Not so good news - I need a new wetsuit - I have a 3mm full, and a 3mm shorty that I layer

Yikes! I haven't even tried on my suit since Fiji!

Oh well, spending money on smaller clothing is always "happy money"! :thankyou:

We'll also set up a 'gear exchange' so that you all can advertise your new and good condition dive stuff that no longer fits in exchange for someone's who's does. We can do a barter system or just offer the stuff for sale here on the site...we can even host the barter if needed. Just tossing some ideas out there for peeps to think about and of course to start a list of things that no longer fit once we all start to hit our new health goals!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users