• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Francis

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

Headed our way & looks pretty darn scary! Sylvia & I may fly out of here on Wed or Thurs to Atlanta to be part of a temporary team designed to maintain support for our company's Help Desks, which are all based here in Ft Lauderdale. We'll let you know. Anyway, thanks to both MaryAnn & Scuba_Jenny who have already offered me a place inland, should I need it. Living where I do, I'm in one of those mandatory evacuation zones. If Francis does come our way, I'll be sending Ducky (my cat) to stay with one of them. Please pray that Francis decides to miss the whole Eastern Seaboard.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

If you need a state to stay in, New Mexico is pretty safe from them storms! Stay well.
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#3 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:19 PM

Headed our way & looks pretty darn scary! Sylvia & I may fly out of here on Wed or Thurs to Atlanta to be part of a temporary team designed to maintain support for our company's Help Desks, which are all based here in Ft Lauderdale. We'll let you know. Anyway, thanks to both MaryAnn & Scuba_Jenny who have already offered me a place inland, should I need it. Living where I do, I'm in one of those mandatory evacuation zones. If Francis does come our way, I'll be sending Ducky (my cat) to stay with one of them. Please pray that Francis decides to miss the whole Eastern Seaboard.

Hey, Atlanta is just a hop from here....bring gear, go artifact diving.

#4 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:22 PM

And people wonder how we in Caleeforneya can handle earthquakes! Just when I thought it was safe to head to southern Florida and dive the upper Keys. Well, I too hope that Frances gets redirected- for the sake of my dive plan, but more importantly for the sake of those SD members in the path.

Be safe.

Doc

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:46 PM

I saw this while working out at the gym today...I was thinking " What!! I know people there!!"

I'm praying this one turns back into the Atlantic

be safe!!

Kim

#6 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

Good luck if you have to bug out.......Hopefully Frances will just keep moving east and forget all about Florida.....And the rest of the US for that matter.

#7 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:56 PM

Marvel,

Inland is not always a good place to be either. I'm really not liking the looks of Frances, we are all a little gun shy up here. You are welcome here, but it is looking like you might want to stay south. I went grocery shopping tonight and people are stocking up for Saturday and beyond. Today's mission for city workers is to clear the storm drains of all debris. People are thinning the trees that are left. Looks like we are all in for a rainy Labor Day weekend.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#8 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:04 AM

I wish all you guys on the east coast and in florida the best. Hopefully the storm will turn east. This is going to be a nasty storm, bob :welcome:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:27 AM

wish you guys on the east coast and in florida the best. Hopefully the storm will turn east

Ditto!

Praying for all of you!

#10 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:29 AM

Everyone that is in the current predicted path of Frances should be planning their actions now. Frances is going to be a dangerous storm if it continues at current strength and direction. The eastern middle part of Florida hasn't had a bad storm in many decades and most people there are clueless. Donna is planning on flying her plane out on Friday morning and taking our daughter with her. Our son has declined to go, but he is smart enough to go to a safe place to ride out the storm if he has to.

You guys be careful and if you aren't in a house with the new building codes. Get out of town.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#11 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:11 AM

Well there goes my diving this weekend! I hate when that happens.

Already had a little family conference and pretty much decided we'd say put, not looking forward to it but survived the eye of Andrew. Hopefully another storm won't hit in exactly the same spot. Getting the shutters ready and digging out the generator just in case. . . . . Will be watching updates as the weekend gets closer.
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#12 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:30 AM

I sure hope it misses you guys. It looks like an awful nasty storm and still building strength. Lets hope it turns north and just peters out in colder water.

#13 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:09 AM

:wavey: I spoke to my landlord this morning, trying to be proactive since I will probably not be in town & the guy actually told me that he does not have any plans to board up the windows & doors- he doesn't want any holes put in the building... :welcome: So, tonight I start securing my place as much as possible & hope that he gets a little sense!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#14 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:22 AM

What a summer? How many times is Florida gonna' get hit this year? ...looks like it's going to stir things up all the way up to our coast also......another weekend shot.

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

:wavey: I spoke to my landlord this morning, trying to be proactive since I will probably not be in town & the guy actually told me that he does not have any plans to board up the windows & doors- he doesn't want any holes put in the building... :welcome: So, tonight I start securing my place as much as possible & hope that he gets a little sense!

Wow...that's surprising!! I'd have thought he would want to protect his property as much as possible.

Hope you can save as much stuff as possible!

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users