• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Francis

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:27 AM

Why don't you all just come out to SoCal? I think Dr. B and I could show you a good time. I'm looking out my office window and it's about 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#17 KBScarlett

KBScarlett

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox (aiming for Rescue)
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:43 AM

Marvel, you are also welcome to my place if need be...not as far inland, but as much concrete block as you could ask for! Same goes for your cat, though she and Scarlett (my cat) may not agree with that idea! If you even have just some belongings that you'd like preserved, I'm happy to house them...I have a lot of "safe room" area.
Conversely, my work offices are right on the water--I hear the windows of which there are a ton) are wind-proof....I'm actually interested to see how they hold up, if it comes to that.
Best wishes to everyone in the path as well; looks like the Carolinas are getting another beating, one way or the other.

#18 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

good thing i am heading that way in jan, ill miss hurricane season. stay safe everybody!
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#19 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

Latest forecasts show Frances going into Jacksonville. Some of the models actually showing it turning further North. We all need to watch this one closely.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:12 PM

Frances
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 StuShark

StuShark

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:DM, Adv Nitrox, Deco

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:28 PM

...could go anywhere

here is the spaghetti run of the predictions:

http://www.hurricane.../06LALLMDL.html

#22 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:51 PM

Sure hope it misses Wakatobi. :teeth:

#23 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

Went to Lowes tonite to buy a tarp, just in case. They were out, but expecting another shipment in the am. They will probably be gone by the time I'm off work. Blue is the new favorite color of roofing material in Orlando. I did have a successful trip to BJ's, have enough can goods and hurricane food for a couple of weeks. The 8:00 pm EST report is the same path as Walter's 5:00pm. Everyday it gets closer we will have a better idea.

Lattitude Adjustment is on the Nekton Pilot in the northern Bahamas. He may just find out how stable that boat is! Hope they get him back safely.

Edited by nextariel, 31 August 2004 - 06:16 PM.

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#24 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:25 PM

Frances

Thanks, haven't been able to check on the status all day but I like what I see in the picture. Will continue to monitor as it gets closer.
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#25 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:29 PM

Why don't you all just come out to SoCal? I think Dr. B and I could show you a good time. I'm looking out my office window and it's about 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

OK your turn to rub it in. Actually we had beautiful weather today and at least we get warnings. You get a quick rumble, the earth starts shaking, the walls vibrate and boom highways are droping. No time to run, no time to hide...... :usflag:
Happy Diving, LJMongy

#26 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:52 AM

Well folks, like I said before, if you find yourself in the path of this one, get out if you possibly can. If you can't, then be very careful and plan for the loss of power and water/sewer services. The loss of power and water services could be for a long time. You won't have ice, so those drinks will be neat, not on the rocks. I would be filling up old soda bottles now. I would have plenty of canned meats and veggies, etc. I have camping gear, so I can cook when I lose power and I also have lanterns, so light isn't an issue. Batteries are helpful for your radio and flashlights. If you have standard phone service, make sure you have a phone that is not cordless. A standard phone that does not need an electrical plug to make it work will still work when the phone service is operating. A lot of people don't have these kinds of phones. I have a phone that uses the power plug only for the answering machine part of the phone, it works without power. Check yours to see if it will work without power. Get one if you don't have one. If you have cable phone service, now you know why I don't. When your cable goes out, so does your phone. Fill up your cars with gas. If you have gas cans, fill them, too. Just before the storm, fill your bath tubs with water (this will flush toilets and in an emergency you can boil it, assuming you have camping gear, and have cooking and drinking water.)

These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head. By the way, taping your windows is useless and only makes it a pain in the neck when you have to remove the tape.

Best of luck to every one and be safe. I'll be monitoring the storm and if anyone needs updates when the power goes out call me while I am at home after 6pm Eastern time during the week, anytime on the weekend (757-229-5179). If I'm not home, I'll call you back. I'll try to get the latest local news from your area on the web and relay it to you. Since I have a dial up service, we wil have to work out some logistics, but it can work. This helped for our neighbors last year when Isabel went through here. We were in Florida and telling them the news in the Virginia Penninsula area.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:53 AM

I've pinned this topic until the hurricane is past. The predicted track keeps changing. Current prediction is landfall in the Palm Beach to Melbourne areas and crossing the state diagonally through the Orlando area.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:06 AM

Best of luck to everyone this weekend!

If you need to evacuate...and make it as far as Houston - my home is open to anyone who might need it!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it heads back to sea!

Terri
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#29 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

Best of luck to everyone this weekend!

If you need to evacuate...and make it as far as Houston - my home is open to anyone who might need it!

Keeping my fingers crossed that it heads back to sea!

Terri

Houston would be asesome but I'm heading to Atlanta in the AM.... my company is sending me, thank goodness!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#30 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

Checked with Squee and my family. The hurricane did not give it anything more than a little rain which was good news. Squee one of our SD PR members and my family on the island are all well. They are more worried about us.
Thanks to all of you that contacted me with your sincere well wishes. Really touched.

We are on standby at the office as to whether we are leaving for Atlanta to set up temporary operations there.

In the meantime, myself, family in West Palm and Melbourne, Florida are making preparations but hoping for the best.

SD you are such a wonderful and caring bunch of individuals that I'm happy to be a part of.

:wavey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users