• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Advanced Open Water Training

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:21

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

While on the Belize trip I brought up the idea of getting my AOW certification with WW and Commander Clown Fish. They mentioned that I might not be so thrilled or get too much out of doing the PADI AOW course and suggested that I instead look around and talk with instructors and find one that challenges me. An example was given of checking out SSI for the AOW since it requires that you have 24 dives before starting the course. However the SSI AOW is to complete 4 specialty courses.

Anybody have recommendations on what course (pun intended) of action to investigate and/or some instructor recommendations? Thanks to my Kick Ass Job I'dd be open to travel around the country to get the certification completed.

Looking to complete the certification by April in time to do spring diving in the Flower Gardens and a trip to Hawaii in May with some 3 tank advanced dives that require the AOW certification.

Currently sitting at 43 dives, 39 since certification, about 10 are shore dives the rest are boat dives.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

Brad, I did my AOW with SSI. I chose my specialties with an eye towards improving my skills (Navigation, Deep diving, Nitrox, Computer diving, Night/Limited Visibility....I took more than required). I did the coursework here at home, but got my local shop to give me referral paperwork and I flew to the warmer, clearer waters of Ft. Lauderdale to do my checkout dives. I then added another 40 or so dives (2 SD trips) to my logbook, and then took the SSI Stress & Rescue class & got my Master Diver cert.

Did the AOW classes stretch me? Some did, some didn't (like the limited vis course - ugh!), but I had over 100 dives in my logbook before I even started my AOW so I was fairly comfortable with all of it to start with, and all my classes have been with the same instructor, and mostly one-on-one in the classroom & pool. The Stress & Rescue class is what you want to take, and with SSI you have to have the AOW cert first, plus logged dives. Anyone who dives regularly should have that class under their belt, and keep those lessons & skills honed, IMHO.

I like SSI because they require logged dives before letting you take the next class....gives you a chance to absorb & practice the info you just learned, and make it either a habit or a comfortable skill before adding more to your plate. There are good instructors to be found in every agency. Just let them know you're not in the classes for "an easy A" and they should get the hint..... :teeth:
Posted Image

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Brad now that I have pulled myself out from under the bus wheels...let me clarify my comments and those of Cmdr.Clownfish....

You are an open water diver that has done night dives, you fly for a living so doing navigation will be second nature to you and you have dove past 60 feet MANY times. Normally in your AOW you are experiencing these dives for the FIRST time and not just to prove you can do them.

SSI was mentioned because their Advanced course is similar in some respects to the PADI Master Diver course sans the Rescue course of course.

But if you want an instructor that will KICK YOUR ASS and you can fly then come to SC then I'll have my husband do your course aka OTWDiver and you will not only get your money's worth but you will exceed most AOW's. Plus you can stay on our couch/sleeper for no charge since you are an SD member.

Just let me know! And I will probably even cook for you too! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Brad now that I have pulled myself out from under the bus wheels...let me clarify my comments and those of Cmdr.Clownfish....

But if you want an instructor that will KICK YOUR ASS and you can fly then come to SC then I'll have my husband do your course aka OTWDiver and you will not only get your money's worth but you will exceed most AOW's. Plus you can stay on our couch/sleeper for no charge since you are an SD member.

Just let me know! And I will probably even cook for you too! ;)

Didn't think I put you or Scott under the bus, but maybe since you pointed out my experience vs typical PADI AOW student it puts things into context for the rest of the group.

Welcome back home, enjoy your short stay in Dallas! I'm having to suffer with mid 70s temperatures here in West Palm Beach through at least tomorrow.

If I do take you up on the instructor/housing offer I may have to cook for you. I do a mean Cajun Red Beans and Rice since I grew up in Cajun country myself.....or you can check out some of these pics of my cooks:

http://www.facebook....mp;l=af616a6344
http://www.facebook....mp;l=46c2544528
http://www.facebook....mp;l=d330b57674
http://www.facebook....mp;l=e24bf5ebc7
http://www.facebook....mp;l=cf8268f10c

#5 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

This is exactly what I was getting at in a earlier thread.The organizational /educational difference's. One would think that from what has been said "here" one organization has a upper hand in its skills & would appear to be a better teacher.I'm not mentoning organizations here out of ;) .
I only had 50 Dives under my belt before I decided to go forward and get my my AOW . It was done in a Quarry , I covered the Bounancy ,Deep,Navagation, Wreck( a sunken little 20' boat"and Search & Recover or "find the bucket of rocks"... I completed all the knowledge reviews.Wish, I had gone your route LLD with the addition of Nitrox. I will get this this year & maybe!! dip into Lake Michigan in the "Summer".

I don't want to sound negative hear,it would appear that reinforcement of ones knowledge seems to be stronger in one organization than the other.And yes ,I'll say it, like anything, it will depend on who your "teacher" is. IMO my .02
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

You are an open water diver that has done night dives, you fly for a living so doing navigation will be second nature to you and you have dove past 60 feet MANY times. Normally in your AOW you are experiencing these dives for the FIRST time and not just to prove you can do them.

SSI was mentioned because their Advanced course is similar in some respects to the PADI Master Diver course sans the Rescue course of course.

Just let me know! And I will probably even cook for you too! ;)

I can add my (somewhat) impartial input. I took the TDI Extended Range Course with OTWDiver in Bonaire last year. I also watched him teach the basic Nitrox class, the sidemount class, the AOW class (and probably a few more) When you get your card you can be assured of having earned it. No free passes here. He will give you the instruction you need to understand the material and the skills to complete the course no mater your experience level. You will also be given a look ahead to the next level so you understand why things are done a certain way. Each new level is built on previous knowledge levels to increase your overall education.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#7 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

For me, my PADI AOW was simply an extension of my OW class. 5 additional dives in the different specialties including Nav & Deep. We did night, peak performance bouyancy & altitude.

Rather than the complete specialities, these are just the first dive of each of them. I did eventually do the specialities as well, and while it was nice for the additional pool time & dives with an instructor and I learned more, the real improvement in my diving came from doing the rent-a-buddy program with SingleDivers.com

That said, I needed AOW for rescue diver, so I am glad I did it. Another class I found very worthwhile.

• Guests

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Brad, since I've seen you dive and know where you are I think your best bet is what Kamala suggested. Try to find a time to take AOW with OTWdiver (Bill Wench) as the instructor. I took the deep class with him and he could have made it a check the box but definitely did not. He made it a good class for me and I felt alot more comfortable afterwards. I also watched him work Jerry and Dan over in Bonaire last year with the extended range class. He will make it worth your while. Bonaire would be a good opportunity to do that. Lake Jocassee would be give you a real workout though and a good AOW but not nearly as much fun as Bonaire.

#9 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Well our new schedule came out and I didn't get a schedule. I'm on a 24 hour call out after Valentines until the week after the Bonaire trip. No chance to make Bonaire now, 6 of our busiest 30 days are during that trip due to the Olympics and our parent companies choice to be a major canadian sponsor.

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Although I've not done a course with Bill I have dived with him, and I am confident that he would never give a "check the box" course. He's one of the few people I know that I would sign up for a course with, if it weren't for the odd couple of thousand miles and some $.

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

I don't want to sound negative hear,it would appear that reinforcement of ones knowledge seems to be stronger in one organization than the other.And yes ,I'll say it, like anything, it will depend on who your "teacher" is. IMO my .02

That is a subjective comment based upon experience. Some of the hardest classes I've taken were thru an agency perceived to be 'the easiest'. So the real answer is your last comment...it depends on who the teacher/instructor is. Any instructor can teach to the standards of their agency and ensure you have mastered far more if you are willing, ready and able.

As an aside...I took my aow within 3 dives of my ow. Why? Because I was scared shitless to go diving without an instructor and it was the easiest way to continue diving under instruction. (Think grassroots rent-a-buddy here only it didn't exist yet). Did I even pass it the first time? Hell no...but then I didn't quit either and several attempts later I legitimately passed it.

Would I recommend this course of action for everyone? No I usually recommend that you get some dives under your belt and then proceed in your training. However many divers not only get some dives under their belt but they also exceed their training and soon have done most of what the AOW course covers. Then as Brad will find...its hard to find someone who will take the class up a notch for him since he has already accomplished all the basics.

Again it is all contingent on the instructor. All agencies provide good training guidelines but not all instructors provide good training.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

As an aside...I took my aow within 3 dives of my ow. Why? Because I was scared shitless to go diving without an instructor and it was the easiest way to continue diving under instruction. (Think grassroots rent-a-buddy here only it didn't exist yet). Did I even pass it the first time? Hell no...but then I didn't quit either and several attempts later I legitimately passed it.

:-D After diving with you, it's hard to believe you ever had trouble with anything diving related. You are like a fish now and could probably do 3 dives on one tank.

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

Kamala is the resident "compressor" on dive trips. She goes down with a half full tank and comes back up with a full one.

Well, almost!

#14 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

Would I recommend this course of action for everyone? No I usually recommend that you get some dives under your belt and then proceed in your training. However many divers not only get some dives under their belt but they also exceed their training and soon have done most of what the AOW course covers. Then as Brad will find...its hard to find someone who will take the class up a notch for him since he has already accomplished all the basics.

Again it is all contingent on the instructor. All agencies provide good training guidelines but not all instructors provide good training.

After my OW my next trip to Hawaii I was staying with a buddy who was working on his Dive Master (about 10 more dives to go) and we did alot of shore diving and I was also able to get on the boat he is now working for cheap if it was already going out for the day so I've always in some way or another had a Dive Master type person, and when I was in Belize the first time in November I was the only one going out so it was just Patojo, Rafa or Said and myself underwater. But in my mind I never thought of it like supervision it was just the way things happened to work out. On my last 2 dives in Hawaii Tim said "Why don't you pretend you're the dive leader and I'll follow your lead" Then I found I was looking back more at him and becoming better aware of what was happening around me.

Now I'll wonder what I got myself into like last night in the simulator at work......"See, when the airplane goes into "air" mode you lose nosewheel stearing and brakes too" meanwhile we're pirouetting down the runway at Newark, somehow it all managed to stay on the runway though......

#15 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Kamala is the resident "compressor" on dive trips. She goes down with a half full tank and comes back up with a full one.

Well, almost!

The other Brad was mentioning something about hot air...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users