• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GEAR BAG

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

My current Gear bag is a little on the tathered side & would like to get one with wheels,for us matured types.I have been checking into the various Gear Bags,made by the numerous Manufacturers.There is one thing that stands out.That being the material used for the bag. Here are some of the option's:
Does the # make the material denser ,as you increase #? I know there is LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM.
420 Denier 600 Denier 1200 Denier
1050 Tru Ballistic 1650 Ballistic nylon & 1680x840 Nylon.

Would anyone care to comment on the buffet of choices ??
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

The one I got from the Wench looks pretty user friendly. I like the side zip. Haven't used it yet. No wheels but nice back pack or carry. I'm hoping I can fit most all in it and my one clothes luggage so I don't have the trouble of wheeling 2 things through the airport. I can do the backpack. Wonder if it will fit for a carry on to avoid that second bag charge?
Good luck! - B
Ain't love a BEACH?

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

I draw a sharp distinction between bags for use in the resort and bags for flying with. For flying I no longer use dedicated dive bags, because they shout "expensive gear inside", they are often rather heavy, and they tend to be expensive. My preferred bag at present is unbranded from a chain department store in England (BHS), was extremely cheap, is very well designed and seems highly durable. It has a soft "foam" feel to it that provides considerable impact and temperature protection, and retains its shape without being rigid. It also has four wheels, which makes it exceptionally easy to move along in the check-in queue.

In the resort I use a tough mesh bag, such as the one Kamala sells, because it allows water to disperse. I wouldn't try flying with one though as they are too easily snagged and ripped.

I never let my "travel bag" get wet from scuba gear as that will probably rot it.

Edited by peterbj7, 29 January 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#4 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

I do something similar to Peter. I have a mesh bag for the dive boat and I went with the lightest wheel bag I could find from www.ebags.com for my flying bag.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

I agree....no outside special fin pockets that scream "dive gear"!!

Several manufacturers are making wheeled duffels that are designed to use with dive gear, but just look like duffels, and they're getting pretty light in weight, too.

My set is by Armour (sp?), and it came with 3 pieces: the big duffel for the checked gear, hard-case bottom with soft upper section, on wheels but can be worn as a backpack. Also came with a carry-on with wheels & can also be used as a backpack, and a third item that's an actual small packpack that's really handy on the island for snack runs! :wakawaka: And, it is easily attached to the carry-on.

Good questions about thickness of materials, but also look closely at zippers! That's usually what fails on me first.
Posted Image

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

I have a Samsonite rolling duffle bag I bought at a KMart in 1994 still. I keep trying to replace it (although it has nothing wrong with it, except for being old and scuffed up looking), but it still gets used frequently.

I would NEVER use a branded scuba bag for my gear when traveling.

I also use rolling duffle bags from LL Bean (the best ones) and from Land's End. Both have excellent, lightweight, generic looking rolling duffle bags that seem to wear well. When I have gotten more than expected airplane damage from one bag, they replaced it without any difficulty. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Good luck shopping.

#7 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:21

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have a 32" rolling wheeled rolling duffle purchased from Wal Mart. In it I can get my diving gear, camping gear and some clothes. I then travel with a daypack/backpack that has a few items but is airport/carry-on friendly. In the event I need even more space I have another 22" roll aboard that I can check or take on the plane as conditions may warrant.

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

My current Gear bag is a little on the tathered side & would like to get one with wheels,for us matured types.I have been checking into the various Gear Bags,made by the numerous Manufacturers.There is one thing that stands out.That being the material used for the bag. Here are some of the option's:
Does the # make the material denser ,as you increase #? I know there is LOTS TO CHOOSE FROM.
420 Denier 600 Denier 1200 Denier
1050 Tru Ballistic 1650 Ballistic nylon & 1680x840 Nylon.

Would anyone care to comment on the buffet of choices ??

Well it sounds like your looking for a travel bag vs boat bag. I concur with all the others a non-diving generic 2 wheel or 4 wheeel lightweight bag for the airplane cargo hold that looks like it contain dirty socks works best for me. Boat bags again lighter is better, mesh of course to drain water and my old bag had a side zipper that was very useful. I often use the boat bag with a black nylon outer bag as a 2nd piece of checked luggage for plane ride and sling it onto my 2 wheel roller at the luggage claim area. Costco, BJ's Wholesale or Walmart all have fairly durable and cheap bags. Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

All right!!Thanks :teeth: to B,PETER,TAMMY,GEORGE,ROBIN,BRAD &CHARLIE: I forgot to mention I did get a mesh bag for the boat rides.That works good.Fin's,boots and the suite etc.Sling the B/C over your shoulder.You guy's know the routine.As you all were quick to point out ,yes,"don't" draw attention to ones Dive bag.I have been using my carry on bag to hold: My reg's & D/C & my Rx Mask.Along with my netbook and Camera stuff.Needless to say that doesn't leave much room for reading material etc.The problem I seem to have is I use the Dive Bag to hold:Mesh Bag,Fins,B/c ,3mm & or Shortyand any little accy items.I end up having another bag for clothes.The weight distribution is the obvious consideration to consolidating into one."Can't be done".At least I haven't mastered the "ONE" Bag trick yet.Bottom line ,I think is "WHEELS".IT DEFINITELY HAS TO HAVE WHEELS.
The one issue I had hoped might have been addressed is the material breakdown or differences.I was looking at some of the Oceanic's,Akona & or Tusa.However,you all have a valid point of "RED Flags " to a divers bag.I think the store's suggested will be a good place to start,given a reasonable budget.If the shoe fit's... And yes,Robin,I like LL Bean's product line,didn't think of that.

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 29 January 2010 - 06:53 PM.

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

With weight restrictions, lighter bags usually rule, but you do lose out on some durability when you go light weight. When you factor in the cost of traveling to dive, then replacing the bag every 5 years is a minimal amount of your dive travel budget.....
Posted Image

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

And yes,Robin,I like LL Bean's product line,didn't think of that.

I use my LL Bean rolling duffle all the time. It fits within the luggage size requirements (mostly) and for the size and durability, it is the lightest and best bargain. And it comes in a variety of colors... I think I have had mine for 8-9 years already.

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

I think I have had mine for 8-9 years already.

That's AMAZING! I'll have to take a hard look at LL Bean next time I have to buy a gear travel bag.....
Posted Image

#13 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

All right!!Thanks :wakawaka: to B,PETER,TAMMY,GEORGE,ROBIN,BRAD &CHARLIE: I forgot to mention I did get a mesh bag for the boat rides.That works good.Fin's,boots and the suite etc.Sling the B/C over your shoulder.You guy's know the routine.As you all were quick to point out ,yes,"don't" draw attention to ones Dive bag.I have been using my carry on bag to hold: My reg's & D/C & my Rx Mask.Along with my netbook and Camera stuff.Needless to say that doesn't leave much room for reading material etc.The problem I seem to have is I use the Dive Bag to hold:Mesh Bag,Fins,B/c ,3mm & or Shortyand any little accy items.I end up having another bag for clothes.The weight distribution is the obvious consideration to consolidating into one."Can't be done".At least I haven't mastered the "ONE" Bag trick yet.Bottom line ,I think is "WHEELS".IT DEFINITELY HAS TO HAVE WHEELS.
The one issue I had hoped might have been addressed is the material breakdown or differences.I was looking at some of the Oceanic's,Akona & or Tusa.However,you all have a valid point of "RED Flags " to a divers bag.I think the store's suggested will be a good place to start,given a reasonable budget.If the shoe fit's... And yes,Robin,I like LL Bean's product line,didn't think of that.

Well if you're interested in material I have several flight bags and suitcases made out of Cordua fabric, one of which is almost 20 years old. Bulletproof is a good description of that fabric, but heavy. One of my carry-on suitcases (with full metal frame, you know the one you see airline pilots with) made out of Cordura and Ballistic nylon weighs 14LBS empty! The other fabric that most of my lighter stuff has is some type of multi-layer ripstop/ballistic nylon thing. Seems to have very good wear resistance so far but the bag is only 1 year old.

#14 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

I have an Akona wheeled check-through Cordura dive gear bag. The quality of the bag itself is okay, but the zippers are crap. Get the densest material you find practical, but get one with quality metal heavy duty (preferably brass) zippers. That being said, I agree with the others that the bag shouldn't advertise its contents (a point in the Akona's favor), and should be fairly securable with a TSA lock or two. I have a wheeled ballistic nylon Acerbis motorcycle gear bag that's lighter and roomier, but it's too obvious and too accessible from too many points (not designed for travelling), and I don't use it.

When all my gear is packed into the Akona, it weighs in at just under 50 pounds (this is with spare everything but a BC). The only airport that has EVER caused sweating and anxiety is Miami International--every time I've been through there they've misplaced my Akona outbound or inbound (last Caribbean trip I went through Tampa for that very reason). Otherwise, I really don't carry on any of my dive gear and don't worry about things getting misdirected ( just to be safe, though, my spare regulator/computer rig went with me on the aforementioned Caribbean trip--several times bitten afterwards shy).

For some reason, pretty much every flying dive trip except one I've found a love note from TSA inside the main compartment of my bag.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#15 PilotDiverBrad

PilotDiverBrad

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

For some reason, pretty much every flying dive trip except one I've found a love note from TSA inside the main compartment of my bag.

If you pack alot of metal in your bag and pack densely then the x-rays cannot get fully through your bag. When my regulator is in my backpack they resend the bag through without the regulators because my yoke valve blocks the view of whatever it's over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users