• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you do when you've had enough and need a break?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

No not that, from exercise! :dancing:

Have you had an off week where you just can't find the motivation? What do you do to get past it?
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Sometimes the best motivation can be guilt.....take a few days - or a week off from the gym, and I start feeling guilty that I'm letting either myself & my own goals down, or I'm letting my local or my long-distance gym buddy down.

But it the stuff is hitting the fan in my life, I do allow myself some guilt-free time off....I just can't let it go on too long!
Posted Image

#3 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I try to find a different kind of exercise. I've gone through spells of enjoying and then dispising ice skating, walking, hitting the gym machines, and yes, even swimming.

Right now I am finding rest is what I need most and am trying to slowly work back into true exercise.

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

Well, give yourself a kick in the butt....a small one, just to get you started again. Then when you do start back at it, start a little lighter than when you left off. In other words don't over do it that first day back at it. After one or two lighter days, I am usually back to where I was when I left off.

Too bad for me, these days I am leaving off a lot more than starting back up.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

:P with Joe.Because of $$ being on the slow side.I've cut back.Also,even when you are into the day to day grind & can't make a work out.A little is better than none...If I'm off a week or longer from swimmin my laps.I'll just do 1/2.Try some plain old sit ups or push ups etc.Hang in there.--
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#6 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I have a once a week reset (Friday's @ 12:30) with a retired Airforce pilot. 1.5 hours playing racquetball with a man that's 72 and can still kick my @&&!

Now, to be honest, I'm not good enough to play opens players... heck I maybe get a couple of returns against the few players with that skill I know locally... but I can still beat most of the recreational players that I run into here in Manhattan (I'm REALLY NOT GOOD - Manhattan is just SMALL). Having said that my record against Carl has to be somewhere in the 3 : 569,323.... range over the last 3 years... maybe one or two more wins that I have forgotten about... :P

There is something quite humbling about losing to someone 30 years your senior and that humility plus the fact that he is in the gym every day (beating other poor souls) keeps me heading in to take my lumps on the court and to ride that $%#* bike that never goes anywhere.

Edited by scrappykidz, 05 February 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

Most people don't/won't/can't exercise because they do not have enough energy to do so. Will power, guilt and discipline only go so far. True ability to work out consistently comes from getting enough real energy/micronutrition in your diet.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Most people don't/won't/can't exercise because they do not have enough energy to do so. Will power, guilt and discipline only go so far. True ability to work out consistently comes from getting enough real energy/micronutrition in your diet.

Hmm, if ONLY there was some place I could get good sound advice on better nutrition. :P

That makes sense to me as I just feel beat this week. Come to think of it, I haven't been eating as well as usual.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

I gave myself a break nearly two years ago... and haven't returned since! Of course living on a hill and generally walking helps, but I really need to get more exercise. It's just hard to find the time. However, I feel no guilt about it.

Edited by drbill, 05 February 2010 - 09:50 AM.

#10 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

No not that, from exercise! :P

Have you had an off week where you just can't find the motivation? What do you do to get past it?

Off week rofl heck I've had an off "months "good news the Dr. let me start working out slowly again to get in the groove for work next month YAY
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#11 JustRuck

JustRuck

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hmm, if ONLY there was some place I could get good sound advice on better nutrition. :P

That makes sense to me as I just feel beat this week. Come to think of it, I haven't been eating as well as usual.

I will need some of that good sound advice also once my shoulder is well enough to ride and run again. I always push myself way too hard, but sometimes it's the greatest stress reliever. Carbs are key for me, but I also know I need more to help build stronger muscles especially when I can finally start doing sprints on the velodrome. Only doing 1 race since May 09, my first ride will definately be a short one, even if it's on an indoor trainer, which I hate doing.

• Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

No not that, from exercise! :P

Don't tell me you have given up on kicking your email composing dog in the head every morning. You had so much energy in Belize.

Well its good that you posted this since will have to do it TODAY. I haven't been to the gym since right before Belize because of the weather and my cold which I am now over enough to actually go back. What works for me is to just trudge through it and do it. I hate going back but after 2-3 days its not so bad and then the body starts to crave it again. Keep looking one week ahead. Thats the only thing that works for me. Start back slow. I'm looking at 3 weeks to overcome. Getting rid of the cold weather would help...

COME OOOOONNNNNNN WARMING GODS... toast it up down here!!!!

#13 ArtRunScuba

ArtRunScuba

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver. 18 liveaboards
  • Logged Dives:675

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

Once upon a time the only things that would stop me from my running and lifting and swimming were severe injury or illness. A regular cold and I would run through it. The weather did not stop me either as I ran in 50 below in Alaska, intense blizzards of snow in Montana, and 110 degrees during occasional travels to very hot locales plus intense winds and rain before and after several hurricanes. My version of "muy loco".

I have never run on a machine, and love the feeling of running in the outdoors, especially on wooded trails away from cars. One of the key problems for people who decide exercise is boring, and especially running, is that they have never experience the "runner's high". Generally, you have to run five or more miles to kick off those opiates in the brain.

Now I have moderated with the seasoning of age and when I see ice and stay inside. When I have an injury, I decide to take the days off necessary for healing. However, I do my best to find an alternative workout. I will bounce on my indoor trampoline, do yoga, use my Chi machine and more.

The reality is that rest to a bit of a degree is occasionally necessary. Every day you run on an injury often adds a week to recovery time. One inevitably hits plateaus. And one step back often can equate to two steps forward. When I was hit by a car in Alaska 21 years ago on a 30 below ice/snow morning, I was not able to walk for two weeks. But two weeks later I set my lifelong 10k best.

At the same time, when one goes three days without your workout, you do lose some in your fitness level. And a minimum of three days a week of a constant 30 minutes of aerobic exercise is critical for coronary and circulatory health. Research is showing that exercise and weight lifting can prevent dementia in many elderly people and improve their physical fitness. :P

The key thing for me is that exercise and sweating out the stress sends a message to the brain. No matter the difficulty, as Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day".

#14 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

Don't tell me you have given up on kicking your email composing dog in the head every morning. You had so much energy in Belize.

Well its good that you posted this since will have to do it TODAY. I haven't been to the gym since right before Belize because of the weather and my cold which I am now over enough to actually go back. What works for me is to just trudge through it and do it. I hate going back but after 2-3 days its not so bad and then the body starts to crave it again. Keep looking one week ahead. Thats the only thing that works for me. Start back slow. I'm looking at 3 weeks to overcome. Getting rid of the cold weather would help...

COME OOOOONNNNNNN WARMING GODS... toast it up down here!!!!

That made me laugh out loud. Don't worry, I still kick him. Poor thing, I opened a under counter cabinet the other day and gave him a good elbow strike to the head. He's a little needy and clingy and unfortunately I'm not always aware that he's right there so he gets hit. No doubt he's thrilled the morning kick-boxing has stopped.

Okay, let's make a deal - I will if you will today.

Edited by lynnlchan, 05 February 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#15 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

Okay drbill - you may not work out but don't you dive a ton? It sounds like you have a more active lifestyle.

Edited by lynnlchan, 05 February 2010 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users