• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Where can I get my rig serviced?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Having the good fortune and timing - I'm actually getting ready for some serious diving WAY early in the year.

One of my favorite rituals is taking my regs in for servicing. Even if you don't use them, seals harden, things corrode and valves take a set. A good technician can also help you optimize performance for your preference, and advise you on choices if you think you're going to invest in more gear.

If you live in or near Dallas Senior Tech from our board is the only person I'd ever use. He's also the evangelist of the bag trick and is, by the way, celebrating 60 years of doing this kind of stuff. If you don't live in Dallas, you can send them to him, and he'll ship them back - but you'll miss the wisdom and wit - and the view around his shop - j-valve'd tanks and all.

I picked up my regs this morning, and he said business was way down, so now would be the time to jump ahead of the crowd.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#2 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:55 PM

Mark-

A great topic to post! I just sent you a PM on this.

I have to admit it is close to heart for me. I started diving long ago, then quit for almost twenty years. My regs were NOT properly serviced or stored ... I paid the price with realizing it was time to do a total house cleaning five years ago. With new, fairly high end equipment plus new BC in the hanging locker I have watched to ensure annual maintenance takes place for the equipment as well as to maintain the warranty from the manufacturers.

I have been paying about $75/reg and the same for bc for annual service, plus parts from the authorized dealer where I bought the equipment. All this with my equipment under warranty that supposedly pays for the parts other than the annuals (gaskets and seals). My first question: is this appropriate ($75/reg/bc) and if I go to an independent technician, will I risk losing my equipment warranties?

I am here in Dallas - how can I find and make contact with Senior Tech? He appears to be a Member - can he do PM?

UP Diver
:teeth:
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

My first question: is this appropriate ($75/reg/bc) and if I go to an independent technician, will I risk losing my equipment warranties?

I am here in Dallas - how can I find and make contact with Senior Tech? He appears to be a Member - can he do PM?

UP Diver
:teeth:

I think you're in the ballpark for $. It depends on what he needs to do, (e.g. nitrox or not, O2 clean etc). I know he's certified on most everything. Truth is the warranty only buys you the parts for most regs I know of.

He is one of the many who stopped servicing 650's - so if that's your second stage - you may have a problem but I'm sure he's got solutions or you can have SP replace it - assuming you bought it during the covered period...

ScubaPro x650 recall information

I'm reporting this thread to a mod to see if I can post his contact detail - I haven't seen him on the board in a long time.

Edited by Capn Jack, 06 February 2010 - 11:50 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

As he is not a business member we should avoid posting his business info on the board, but interested members can certainly contact you to exchange info privately.

I think this is an excellent and very timely post. I have seen too many regs come in for servicing lately that people had considered diving that were in major disrepair. A reg or BC failure can not only greatly hinder a fabulous dive trip, but even more seriously it could be a real danger to your safety. This is not an area to penny pinch.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

As he is not a business member we should avoid posting his business info on the board, but interested members can certainly contact you to exchange info privately.

I think this is an excellent and very timely post. I have seen too many regs come in for servicing lately that people had considered diving that were in major disrepair. A reg or BC failure can not only greatly hinder a fabulous dive trip, but even more seriously it could be a real danger to your safety. This is not an area to penny pinch.

Tis why I asked for a mod to check.

PM away folks - Senior Tech is the very best.

FYI DG - you need to get your supremely certified butt over to Anilao with SecretSea & me - nudibranchs EVERYWHERE - I hope you checked all my facebook pics - I have about 800 more to edit yet.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Tis why I asked for a mod to check.

PM away folks - Senior Tech is the very best.

FYI DG - you need to get your supremely certified butt over to Anilao with SecretSea & me - nudibranchs EVERYWHERE - I hope you checked all my facebook pics - I have about 800 more to edit yet.

Hi Mark,
When you said "rig" I immediately thought you meant your "camera rig" :birthday:

I hope you sent your strobe back to Ike to get it fixed already. And I am very glad you had a good time in Anilao. I really love that place, (plus my "private diving" deal there). Got dates for next year.... Feb 12-21, 2011. Booked with Peri already. :birthday:

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

FYI DG - you need to get your supremely certified butt...

:birthday: I did just become a DAN Instructor Trainer and am doing sidemount training with Bill next week. The Abyss is the limit! :birthday:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

I hope you sent your strobe back to Ike to get it fixed already. And I am very glad you had a good time in Anilao. I really love that place, (plus my "private diving" deal there). Got dates for next year.... Feb 12-21, 2011. Booked with Peri already. :birthday:

Ikelite was everything you said and more. Can't say enough good about them. Zero, zip, nada to repair the flood problem. No questions asked, no receipt.

February is too far ahead to even dream about - but will keep it in mind if they don't fire me between now and then.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users