• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Atlanta Happy Hour

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#31 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hey....I just looked and I could fly in for the HH/weekend for $127.00!!! :respect: I've never been to Atlanta. Hmmmmmm..........

Are ya'll going to have a HH worthy of my weekend? :-D

GREAT IDEA Cindi....I will gladly pick you up at the airport!!!
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#32 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

Southwest doesn't go to ATL.

That is true, but IIRC Southwest does fly into Birmingham. Maybe you can work out a deal with Bubbles . . .

Yes Southwest does fly into B'ham and I go right by the airport when I drive to Atlanta.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#33 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Board Status:Getting back into the swing of things
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, IANTD Normoxic Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

I will gladly pick you up at the airport!!!

Is this an RSVP Yes?
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#34 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hey....I just looked and I could fly in for the HH/weekend for $127.00!!! :teeth: I've never been to Atlanta. Hmmmmmm..........
Are ya'll going to have a HH worthy of my weekend? :P

GREAT IDEA Cindi....I will gladly pick you up at the airport!!!

Gosh, potentially Cindi and Tammy flying in! This is big, folks! :teeth:

I drive right by Atlanta airport on my way into town (coming in via south side I-85), and if I've actually managed to dare...er...coax Tammy into considering a visit, let me suggest Beth brings Tam from B-ham and I pick up Cindi from Atlanta Hartsfield.

Of course, we (read: me) should not be presumptuous; these arrangements hinge on both ladies providing a firm intention to make the HH. Let us know as soon as you can, please; hope ya'll make it! :thankyou:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#35 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Some early recon to the Marietta D&B has found a similar experience to the January HH - lots of people and slow service. I'm not married to the current location and am open to suggestions. What I do like about D&B is that we're not glued to tables & chairs and, to me, makes for a more social atmosphere.
What's everyone think? Shall we look for a new venue or stick with the Marietta D&B?

Drat! :thankyou: I agree we should at least consider alternatives, unfortunately it has been a few years since I prowled Northside. Hopefully other SingleDivers locals (Jim? Kate? Mark?) will chime in. I will try researching remotely...

Marietta is a pretty hip and happenin' corner of the A, with places like The Galleria attracting night spots and restaurants, so I suggest we try to remain in that area.

Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#36 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

What's everyone think? Shall we look for a new venue or stick with the Marietta D&B?

I've attended several similar type events at this particular D&B with my high school alumni association, and it has always worked well. Yes the service is a little slow, but on the other hand it is a great place to spread out and mingle within a larger group. We have had gatherings of 30 more people there on occasion, and it always seemed to work pretty well. D&B is also conveniently located to I-75, which is good for out of town guests. Our HS AA has used a few other places out that way, but none of them would be as easy to get to, especially for people who are not familiar with the area.

My vote is to "try it and see", but I will bow to the majority if you all choose to relocate.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#37 Keith B

Keith B

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

I vote for finding another venue.

Both Atlanta D&Bs are very crowded on the weekends and unless someone wants to pay to reserve an area, we're going to have to take our chances getting squeezed in somewhere. Once squeezed in, there's going to to be little to no food and drinks service, unless you want to get your own from the bar... Additionally, the ambient noise will make any sort of discussion (and I presume the reason for us all getting together is to discuss and plan diving events) rather challenging.

Of course, if all we're meeting for is to drink and play video games - D&Bs is perfect.

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

WOW!!! Our little HH has moved up to SUPER STAR STATUS!!!

So many members and so many from out of town! :thankyou:

I hope you all can join in!

I'm open to any venue but see KeithB's point and that of DiveGeeks but also see JimG's point as well.

So what do they charge for reserving an area? I'm sure its a committment to a certain amount of food/drinks but if someone will find out that may be the answer.

And other venues will be good as well if they are close to the airport and off major interstates for those driving! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Kickin' it with a query: Any ATL locals had a chance to research possible alternatives to the current venue (D&B Marietta)? Inquiring minds (with an affinity for fun and dive discussions) want to know. :birthday:

#40 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

All the SD Happy Hours I have been to (one at the Marietta D&B, and three at DEMA) were really more about socializing than planning. People mostly just mingled and talked. I personally think D&B will be fine for that, but then again I will be arriving late so please don't make any changes on my account.

How about Delkwood Grill? (same exit as D&B, just further east on the other side of I-75). Or maybe Pappasito's at the Windy Hill exit? Anything is fine with me really - just need to make a decision and go for it.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#41 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

All the SD Happy Hours I have been to (one at the Marietta D&B, and three at DEMA) were really more about socializing than planning.

Yes, we probably are overthinking (over planning?) this issue. I'm not in favor of holding the HH where we are simply seated for food - with a large enough group we'd have to use multiple and/or large tables which limits the opportunities for socialization. With that requirement in mind, there aren't a tremendous amount of options, and they all will probably be crowded on a Saturday night.

So, I'm going to stick with D&B Marietta for this HH, and the discussion of future venues can be part of the social activities.

Mark
"When you shoot underwater, you have limited time, subject matter that rarely sits still, let alone cooperates, and exposure that changes moment to moment. It's a place where you have to constantly wrangle light, composition, subject and depth, and then find a way to be creative." - Eric Cheng

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

What do they charge for a dedicated area in the pool hall? Usually its only spend a certain amt of money. The only REAL drawback I see is we need someone to ARRIVE VERY EARLY to stake out some tables and its hard...I know...I had a hard time last time as I ended up being the first one there. This time I'll be late along with Kate and anyone else on the Mayaguana trip. ESPECIALLY on a Saturday...you need several people to arrive early and hold some at least one pool table and an area for chairs/table to eat at.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#43 DiveGeek

DiveGeek

Special Projects Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

What do they charge for a dedicated area in the pool hall?

I'll check into that.

#44 JustRuck

JustRuck

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

HMMMMMMM....Fly to Atlanta for the weekend or stay home and use my opening weekend baseball tickets. It is only the minor leagues.

#45 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

C'mon, Chris! It will be fun.... and the HH Queen is coming to the par-tay!

I just booked my non-stop flight from Kansas City to HOT-lanta! I'll arrive mid-morning on Saturday, and leave after Noon on Sunday.

The other logistics will get worked out in the next month....rental car or not, hotel room in Marietta or not....I can be flexible! Anybody else flying in, I'm willing to share.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users