• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Getting back into exercise

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

So you've had a set back in your exercise regimen. In my case iron deficiency anemia ... and you want to get back SLOWLY into exercise. What are your best "ease into exercise" ideas?

I'm thinking some walking and perhaps some stairs... but would love your 'variety is the spice of life' ideas to change up here and there.

#2 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

My .02 psi - If you want to exercise 3 days a week for 10 minutes then start there. You don't have to start big or go all out. What do you enjoy? What exercise makes you happy? Was there anything you enjoyed as a kid?

If you like dvds - there's a series called 10 Minute Solutions. I think they sell for like $10 at Walmart or for under $11 at Overstock.com. The routine is broken into 10 minute segments which is nice and they have pilates, kickboxing, yoga, latin dance, hip hop dance, etc. A good variety. Sometimes your local library will have them so you can test them out.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Lynn, those DVD's are a great idea! You move all kinds of body parts doing those types of things that you NEVER move while just walking or riding a bike. And 10 minutes at a time to start is a good idea. :lmao:
Posted Image

#4 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

I've been curious about those videos myself, it would be kinda like having a trainer that you could turn on and off as needed. I like walking, I see people getting in their cars just to drive across the street, when walking would be and is better for you. lets see.. walking and cleaning house and your yard even stretching and doing bends. I think as long as you commit to do something everyday or so many times a week like some kind of exercise you will be on your way to better health.

Great thread uwfan !
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#5 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

I've been curious about those videos myself, it would be kinda like having a trainer that you could turn on and off as needed.

I have a lot of dvds. It's convenient to do it at home, takes up half the time as going to a gym. It was a matter of finding what worked for me.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

I was at Sam's Club shopping for work, and I walked by a rack of exercise DVD's, including several of the "10 Minute" ones Lynn mentioned. They were about $13 at Sam's. One of them was called "Dance it Off" and looked interesting, especially since no one has ever applauded my dance moves! :D

These things were stacked right next to a display of several types of M&M's. Guess which one I bought? :D
Posted Image

#7 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Use a variety of exercises. Some of that is to find what you like and what works, but also to break up the monotonous routine. No matter how light or intense anyone works out, a variety helps with stamina, strength, etc... Even when I train for an endurance event such as a duathlon, I can't just run and ride my bike for miles. I have to throw in sprints, up hill and down hill training on both, etc...

Try different times of the day also. Not everyone's body works the best at the same time. And some days you may need to switch up with what life throws at you, so you learn how much and what you can do at different times of the day.

And whatever your goal, you need to find the right diet. One problem I see with people trying to lose weight by working out shoot themselves in the foot on attaining a great goal because of how they eat, or lack of eating for that matter. You can cut back on many things to lose weight, but if you are lifting weights, running, aerobics, etc... you also need to build strength which requires muscle. And you need muscle to burn fat. For example, for my events, I pound a lot of carbs for energy. But I also have to add a lot of protein to help retain and build muscle. I will never have large muscles, but before my 16 year break in racing, nobody could understand how I was so well defined without a lot of weight training. It all was from running and a great diet. I also shocked them by doing a full squat with free weights with 410lbs.

You also need to remember to stretch often. Not just before or after a workout. If you exercise at night, do a few stretches in the morning when you wake up and vice versa. Even at work, if you are sitting at a desk, extend your legs with your heals on the floor and lean forward slowly to stretch your hamstrings. Nobody will even know you are doing it. You can do the same for your groin muscles by extending your leg out to the side while sitting. If you need to set your foot on the edge of the desk for stability.

When and if you get to the point of exercising daily, remember to have a rest day scheduled. That doesn't mean take a day off, unless you absolutely have to, but to take it easy 1 day a week. Even doing 15 minutes of exercise if you are used to 60 is better than nothing. Start out slow and build to that. I was told once that when you do something 12 days in a row, it becomes habit. I believe exercising takes a bit longer than that. So don't give up

I'm no expert, I'm still trying to remember all of my training secrets I had when I was younger. Problem is, I am a lot older now and they all don't work anymore. Or at least not as easy anyway.

Edited by JustRuck, 16 February 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#8 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

You also need to remember to stretch often. Not just before or after a workout. If you exercise at night, do a few stretches in the morning when you wake up and vice versa. Even at work, if you are sitting at a desk, extend your legs with your heals on the floor and lean forward slowly to stretch your hamstrings. Nobody will even know you are doing it. You can do the same for your groin muscles by extending your leg out to the side while sitting. If you need to set your foot on the edge of the desk for stability.

JustRuck,
Your whole post was full of solid advise TY. I found this very helpful to me because my worst enemy is sitting in front of this puter working/playing/posting etc.. having a chair that swivels and also leans back and forth has helped some but doing some stretching exercises would help bunches ! I'm not sure if I have this quote right but.

"A long Journey starts with one step"
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#9 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

uwfan- what did you decide to go with? Are you making some progress after the anemia?

#10 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for checking... just walking for now and glad some of the tiredness is receding.

#11 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for checking... just walking for now and glad some of the tiredness is receding.

It will get easier. Slow and Steady at first. Just stick with it. Every little bit helps

#12 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

It will get easier. Slow and Steady at first. Just stick with it. Every little bit helps

:teeth:

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Good for you for getting out and walking.

#14 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Thanks! I would never have believed it a few years back... but I will also slowly be moving to a vegetarian diet. I love meat, but my body doesn't love some of what we've been putting in the meat for quite a while, so on doctor's orders I will not only be eating more of my fruits and veggies per my wonderful nutritionist's advice (aka our own WreckWench)... but I'll be cutting out meats and adding whole foods (and learning how to cook them in the process).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users