• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Regulator Question

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hey guys,

I've got a question. I snagged a pretty good deal on a set of regs on Ebay (well, I hope it's a good deal, I'm trying to find out). Since my "Local Dive Shop" is over 2 hours away, it's impractical to get it checked out in the short term. YES, I will eventually, and before I take it anywhere besides a pool! That being said, I still have a question:

One of the HP ports on the 1st stage was unplugged (the owner didn't sell the SPG with the regs so just disconnected it from the 1st stage. I have a plug that is the correct thread size from my old set of regs and was wondering if there is a problem with putting this into the port? I know I won't have an SPG (read the above part of my message!) I have access to a pool on campus this afternoon and wanted to try the regs out but didn't want to send a plug backed by 3000 psi screaming across the pool :birthday: Since I will be using the old regs as well, I can't just take the SPG off that set to use with the new.

I figured I should at least ask before hearing the sound of a small metal object ricocheting off of walls and cement this afternoon.

Thanks!!!

Scott
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

you should be able to use the HP plug you have now

I believe these are mostly standard sizes and so would be interchangeable, just check the o-ring on the plug to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

... ditto ...

#4 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

What they said! On most double tank rigs you only have one SPG and you plug to other one. so as stated make sure the oring on the plug is good and go get your new toy wet!! :birthday: let us know how it works.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#5 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'll ditto the above with one exception... if it's a titanium regulator (which I seriously doubt), then you'd have to use a titanium plug.
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#6 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Thanks folks!

Nope, it's not titanium. Thanks again everyone and I'll let you know how it goes.

Scott
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Keep in mind your local dive shop may opt to not work on your regs since they have been bought used from ebay. If they do they may charge more for the service. This is not usual. Our super tech John Cannon will work on regs bought off ebay as long as they are not posiden or a few others that don't play well when being worked on. :cool2:

Keep in mind that most shops do not make money on regulator service. Therefore if you did not buy your regs from them they are 'servicing' the small amount of profit made on the regs for someone else. In essense service is a loss leader which is why many shops will not work on regs they did not sell or are not authorized service reps for.

Its not a bad thing...but it is one of the nuances of the diving industry.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Keep in mind your local dive shop may opt to not work on your regs since they have been bought used from ebay. If they do they may charge more for the service. This is not usual. Our super tech John Cannon will work on regs bought off ebay as long as they are not posiden or a few others that don't play well when being worked on. :cool2:

Keep in mind that most shops do not make money on regulator service. Therefore if you did not buy your regs from them they are 'servicing' the small amount of profit made on the regs for someone else. In essense service is a loss leader which is why many shops will not work on regs they did not sell or are not authorized service reps for.

Its not a bad thing...but it is one of the nuances of the diving industry.

I beg to disagree with the sentiment of this post. It should make absolutely no difference where you purchased your regulator for it to be serviced, as long as the technician is an authorized tech for that brand regulator. It is absolutely rubbish, and they should charge a fair price to service a regulator, regardless of where it was sold.

I had issues here in NYC when I first moved here 5 years ago to have my Scubapro reg serviced. I bought at an authorized SP dealer in CA, moved to AR and had no trouble getting them done there, but when I moved here, got a heap of *#@* when I brought them in.... "Didn't buy them here.... blah blah, blah...." What a load.....!

After explaining that having me in their diveshop at least 2x per year to bring in and pick up the regs was more than they would have me there if they did not service my regs ... "Every minute in their diveshop increased the chance I would BUY something from them, vs zero chance if I was not in the shop" satisfied them enough to do my regs.....

That dive shop now does my reg services without any complaint.

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

I do not disagree with you. You bought your reg from an authorized shop and took it to an authorized service center. And most dive shops will honor just as your LDS did. But regs bought off ebay, or other internet purchases (many grey market although not as many these days) do not fall into this category.

Many aspects of the scuba industry do not measure up to other industries. And while it can be argued that why the industry is in the shape it is in...it will not change the fact that getting service on regs bought via the internet is not as easy as those bought via a traditional dive shop.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#10 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

From what I have seen the whole "Gray Market" and "Authorized Dealer" issue is a bunch of Bravo Sierra that keeps getting publicized (Dive training magazine and such are the biggest offenders) without rebuttal from the critics who have valid points. The (regs, bc's , etc) either came from the manufactures factory or they didn't and the black market fakes are pretty easy to spot, it shouldn't matter if they came from USA, UK, EU, or Japan. The Dive industry has this 1980's mentality of our way or no way, and it doesnt fly in this economy you either adapt give good customer service and support or you will go out of business, plain and simple. The dive industry has many things that are completely <insert descriptive adjective here> its not funny but im not gonna go into it as i would get censored for it.

Robin I know how it goes. I had one shop that pulled "you didnt buy it here, we wont service it" routine and as a result I never went back to that shop (i have 4 sets of regs and 2 BCs that needed service) along with a couple of items on order that I canceled as well (about $3000 worth of gear not including the tanks). It doesn't matter that shop went out of business a couple months later and its stock was bought up by scubatoys who weren't a "authorized dealer" for that shops inventory.

Personally I buy regs from a variety of places but It shouldnt matter where i bought them when they need service. The cost issue I dont buy if you cant cover your costs raise the price or don't service items then. I also have a issue with the prices for parts that the industry charges. Perfect examples are "parts" kits costing $30 a stage for parts items in total that dont come to two bux. I know everyone needs to make there cut but bohica redux ad neausem is very anti-customer, and the same can be said for the "warranties". Personally for my regs i pay about $45 a stage plus parts every 12-18 months and until last year I had to send them California or the upper east coast for service. This was because there was no one locally i trusted or would service them or without lecturing the customer for 30 min plus about how one regulator is the best and the other one is a time bomb waiting to happen; Thanks but no thanks I take my business elsewhere. I now have one shop that will service all of the brands of regs i use but then again im not a gold mine to most shops as I have most of my gear already and the gear i need they dont/wont carry.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Robin I know how it goes. I had one shop that pulled "you didnt buy it here, we wont service it" routine and as a result I never went back to that shop (i have 4 sets of regs and 2 BCs that needed service) along with a couple of items on order that I canceled as well (about $3000 worth of gear not including the tanks). It doesn't matter that shop went out of business a couple months later and its stock was bought up by scubatoys who weren't a "authorized dealer" for that shops inventory.

Personally I buy regs from a variety of places but It shouldnt matter where i bought them when they need service. The cost issue I dont buy if you cant cover your costs raise the price or don't service items then. I also have a issue with the prices for parts that the industry charges. Perfect examples are "parts" kits costing $30 a stage for parts items in total that dont come to two bux. I know everyone needs to make there cut but bohica redux ad neausem is very anti-customer, and the same can be said for the "warranties". Personally for my regs i pay about $45 a stage plus parts every 12-18 months and until last year I had to send them California or the upper east coast for service. This was because there was no one locally i trusted or would service them or without lecturing the customer for 30 min plus about how one regulator is the best and the other one is a time bomb waiting to happen; Thanks but no thanks I take my business elsewhere. I now have one shop that will service all of the brands of regs i use but then again im not a gold mine to most shops as I have most of my gear already and the gear i need they dont/wont carry.

And why would a dive shop ever learn where you got your gear? Because you told them. Answer to "Where did you buy this?" --- given to me by a friend works just fine, no need to elaborate that you gave some $$ to them for it.

The very shop that gave me grief when I moved here, has an excellent technician, who argued with Scubapro for ~ 3 months to replace a warranty part of the first stage that he felt needed replacement -- and that I deserved to get for free, as I had strictly adhered to the annual service requirements with Scubapro -- he felt that it was a personal challenge. He does my reg now with overnight service, and calls me personally to let me know it is done! that is the way customer service should be!

I even called Suunto last week, as it seems that my Vytec seems to think that I will get O2 toxicity doing my 4 dives a day on 32% mix. (I do admit that does account for a fair number of hours breathing that 32 mix :cool2: ) I started the call speaking to the folks in Finland (after calling the US #. They gave me another # to call here in the US)... The very nice guy in Chino, CA listened to my explaination of the problem, and thought it was purplexing to him. I outright told him that I bought the computer in Bali, Indonesia..... Needless to say, he said to send it in to him to check it out..... none of this... you didn't buy it here stuff.... Just another example of how business should be conducted. (And yes, I would pay for the service to be done if there is a problem.)

Edited by secretsea18, 28 February 2010 - 05:44 PM.

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,586 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Still do not disagree. However Drifter may encounter these issues as they are prevalent in our industry hence my bringing it up.

formerly...

#13 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

I’d like to throw my 2 psi into this. First of all, I have spent a ton of money at my LDS. On training, boat rides, lodging, and lots of dive gear. An outstanding Whites dry suit system last year as well as a green force canister light to start. They VIS and O2 clean my tanks (7 at last count) on a yearly basis. I also tell anyone who wants to know about them. So when I ask them to service a reg I didn’t buy from them I get no hassle.

I have over a dozen regulators. Starting with my 1967 two hose Aquamaster. I have an old scuba pro 190 that I love, my two OMS deco regs, a Poseidon first and second set up as a right post reg. My primary right post reg is a scuba pro mk25/600. I just picked up a matched pair of Salvo sets with sealed first stages as cold water regs.

I do not recommend this for anyone who does not know what they are doing and with out the right tools and training. But some of these I service myself. I have an ultra-sonic cleaner and all the correct oxygen compatible lube ( I like the new Tribolube-71) and gauges. That being said I have one guy that services my Poseidon’s I don’t mess with them other then a good cleaning. Since moving to NC I ship them to him in NJ. My LDS does my primary Scuba pro regs.

Bottom line: If you are a regular in your LDS and spend money with them they shouldn’t give you a hard time about servicing a regulator for you. If you go into your LDS very seldom, haven’t bought gear from them with a reg off e-Bay and announce that fact and try to get service….good luck.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

robin

The reg tech that works on my regs doesnt care where someone bought them, but I also dont tell them where i got them either. He understands its a brand that shop carries but not these models as there not in demand as Tech diving is a very small percent of there clientele.

The shop that gave me a hard time I had bought that reg from the original owner right out of OW (the others i bought off staff instructors as they upgraded) but a year later they sold the shop to someone else and it was this owners shop manager that decided to play hardball.

Wow with the sunnto, good job, and thumbs up for your reg tech. Sunnto and Scubapro are some of the worst when it comes to these type of warranty/gray issues.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Jerry

Ill agree with you there are 2 shops locally that i use for my needs locally in Texas, I need to decide which one I want to stick with if/when i decide to go back to DMing in the future. The other is in SC and it takes care of the gear needs and wants I have (I have the CC + travel bills to prove it) as well pretty much any of my training needs for open circuit diving.

I envy you with having such direct access to some of the best diving in the world in your backyard (that may change if a door reopens in the future :cool2: ). If i had that access i would be in the water most weekends that i had a day free (and would be working alot of OT to pay for this habit.... I mean sport). I would love to be able to work on my own regs but not likely to happen with how backwards this industry is compared to others i deal with like photo, computers, ems, etc and can get parts easily as long as I have taken the class or know exactly what the part is.

Drifter - my recommendation to you would be if the shop wants to play that way just find another or do mail out service ( I know it sucks, but beats hearing a lecture). ? what brand and reg is it.

Edited by Scubatooth, 28 February 2010 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users