• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

142 in a single day!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

A background check from a professional firm can be as little as $100. A more thorough check would still only be a few hundred $$$.

And considering that women can turn "let's meet for coffee" into a $200 dinner, a background check is CHEAP !.

#17 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Ahhh, young love. :cloud9: So romantic at any age. :D

How far away from you does she live? When a man talks he becomes either far more or far less attractive. I've met gorgeous men that would have been better off never talking and very average looking men who became stunning to me after an hour of conversation. I'm not the least bit surprised she's attracted to your mind. I've never met you and I'm sure you have a lot of fine features. From the boards, I can assure you she's not the only one that thinks your brain is hot. Besides, we've seen the pictures.

For the record, I never suggested proceeding with caution. :teeth:

Much too early for love, but there is a strong attraction.

It was raining yesterday and we Skyped off and on most of the day.

Fortunately she lives in SoCal.

I SOOOOO agree with your comment about someone becoming more or less attractive when you begin talking to them. I am fortunate in that my communication skills and wit carry over into conversation and far outshine my humble physical appearance. I also agree that many people of both genders quickly lose their appeal when you try to hold an intelligent conversation with them... especially here in SoCal where so much is all show (and no tell).

My brain is hot... Oh, my... like that public service announcement... "this is your brain on drugs (I don't use them)?"

Thanks for the compliments!

• Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:03 AM

It's call flirting :cloud9:

Listen to the Urchin, she knows all about flirting. She is a virtual master, you could take lessons from her and get 200 emails in one day.

#19 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

A background check from a professional firm can be as little as $100. A more thorough check would still only be a few hundred $$$.

I'm curious, what information does a background check provide?

And considering that women can turn "let's meet for coffee" into a $200 dinner, a background check is CHEAP !.

At least you go into a date with an optimistic attitude. :cloud9:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#20 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

and, here's my 2psi

My first impression, based on the fact you said you replied to almost all the 142 messages, was...
wow, must have been engaging conversation and they have a lot to talk about.

My second impression...
texts and emails are too limited and it seems like you need to really talk in person.

and...
congratulations because it sounds like you both may be a little bit crazy - about each other.
:cloud9:

can I confess to being a bit envious? :teeth:
Carpe Diem!

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

No, we haven't met yet. The boats aren't running from the island to Long Beach for another month due to dredging operations. Since my car is parked there and it is a PITA to go to the other port, we likely won't meet until mid April.

The conversations have been very interesting and quite enjoyable. We switched to Skype for the most part two days ago... we can see one another and chat instead of exchanging so many e-mails. If this becomes "nothing more" than a nice friendship, I will enjoy that!

#22 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

I'm curious, what information does a background check provide?

Here are the highlights of what was on the report that I had done about 8 years ago.... .for only $99.95 !
(This list is just from memory. ) This report was DONE WITH WRITTEN PERMISSION of the subject. Without
permission, I think the report would be much shorter.

• Any public legal records such as financial judgements, convictions.
  • Any outstanding government loans (student loans etc)
  • All real estate present and past holdings
  • Addresses used by the person (even places we forget about )
  • Former name (if any), known aliases)
  • Vehicles registered to the name; VIN number, plate number
  • Driver license(s); class and numbers
  • Officer (any position) of any corporations
  • Employer(s)
  • Honorable / dishonorable discharge from the military
  • If known to be behind on taxes (income, property, real estate)
  • Any years that income tax form was not filed
  • College degrees
  • Professional licenses issued by local, state, federal etc.
  • magazine articles, books authored
  • age, height, date of birth, citizenship

Pretty much everything that would be considered public record. The person's credit rating was not on there; I did not ask for it (had no use for it anyway). But from this report you can tell if a person is being honest with you. Say... did you ever live in Punxatawney, PA ? Did you ever drive a taxi? And compare their answer.

Really.... you will learn a LOT about a person.... just politely say "will you please sign this form authorizing a background check?" and hand them the form.

I tell you it is a great way to eliminate most people
  • Applying for the lease.
  • Or dating you.
  • Or asking you to invest in their business.
  • Or asking you to co-sign a loan
  • Or asking to borrow your car
  • Asking to borrow your wetsuit
  • asking you to dinner
  • diving with you
  • going to a movie with you
  • Or ever talking to you again.

You might even find out that their friends do not want to ever talk to you again.

Public records are SCARY !

#23 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

Ahem... update please drbill! :teeth:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#24 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Ahem... update please drbill! :D

Madam, please! The proprieties must be observed... :o

(psst! Okay Bill, dish it!! Is she cute??) :D

I confess I've followed this thread with pleasure and a growing sense of... well... family. Does that make ME crazy? *shrugs* Who cares? Thanks for sharing Dr. Bill, your trust and candor by one usually more reserved are valued and appreciated by us in ways hard to express. :teeth: You seem a good egg, and I'm sure I speak for the rest saying we hope this road takes you both to a happy and contented place. Meanwhile, I feel safe suggesting you both are enjoying the journey! :birthday:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#25 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

:birthday:

You know....it struck me just now for the umpteenth time while reading this thread...
there are really some pretty cool people on this site.

brad, dr. bill - you stand accused of same.
:teeth:
:o
Carpe Diem!

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

:birthday:

You know....it struck me just now for the umpteenth time while reading this thread...
there are really some pretty cool people on this site.

brad, dr. bill - you stand accused of same.
:teeth:
:o

Gulp... what's the penalty for that crime?

Yes, the magic continues. Yesterday we were on Skype off-and-on throughout the day and the day before that we Skyped til 1:30 AM. Yes, she is a very attractive woman, but those are a dime a dozen here in Lost Angeles. What intrigues me is her mind and ability to communicate as well as the fact she has a broad range of experiences that I don't and therefore that is intriguing.

As to whether anything "romantic" will come of it, I don't know... but we both enjoy the growing friendship. Oh, and she loves my DVDs (she's afraid of the water so she has never experienced the world down under). I have many female friends whose friendship I value as much as my former lovers.

Edited by drbill, 09 March 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#27 JustRuck

JustRuck

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:25

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

When a man talks he becomes either far more or far less attractive. I've met gorgeous men that would have been better off never talking and very average looking men who became stunning to me after an hour of conversation.

That's what I keep doing wrong, talking. Maybe I should just jump to the part where I let them read my poetry, or I write one for them, and listen to me play my guitar. Then I would stay gorgeous. :teeth:

#28 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

When a man talks he becomes either far more or far less attractive. I've met gorgeous men that would have been better off never talking and very average looking men who became stunning to me after an hour of conversation.

That's what I keep doing wrong, talking. Maybe I should just jump to the part where I let them read my poetry, or I write one for them, and listen to me play my guitar. Then I would stay gorgeous. :teeth:

You know, my ex-wife kept telling to shut the ____ up! Maybe I should have listened.... :birthday:
(For the record: my ex is a great gal - just took her 18 years to decide to go it sans me)

Edited by scrappykidz, 09 March 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#29 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

You guys are funny! Sometimes it's better to just stand there and look handsome. :P

Drbill - so glad you're having fun. Seems like a pretty darned good deal if the worst possible outcome is a new friend. Maybe I'm reading into it but I think you may be smitten. :cool1:

Edited by lynnlchan, 09 March 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#30 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

I love this thread. It has made me think! At first I was I was scared.... yikes, this is waaaay too much! Then I thought, "Hey, great... this woman took a chance!!" Why not!

Good for you, Dr. Bill, for seeing it through. This woman knew who you were, and she bared her soul. Your job now is to enjoy and respect her. If for any reason things end differently than either of you had perhaps imagined, I know you will respect her too, and trim things back at a rate that still leaves both of you feeling intact. If there is any risk here, it is to ensure that neither of you gets hurt. Otherwise ... hooray for both of you. Let's hear it for Courage!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users