• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Only pee in your OWN wetsuit.

Yes, I went there.
  • dive_sail_etc likes this
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#17 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

#1. If you borrow something, be sure to return it in a timely manner and in the same condition it was received in.
#2. If its not yours, Don't touch it.
#3. Don't follow so close behind other divers that they're constantly brushing you with their fins (it's annoying to both!)
#4. Keep your things in the space assigned to you. This may be a cubby hole, a box or the space under the 2 tanks you are diving. If possible attach your mask to your bc or put in the pocket. Place regs inside your bc to keep them close, neat AND protected. Put your fins under your tanks or where they belong so they are easy to put on when its time to enter the water. If you do not know where your assigned space is ask. Do not bring so much stuff that you have to use all the available space around you as this limits someone else from having enough space for their gear.
#5. Fill out the forms and make your payments correctly - otherwise you are just making extra work for accounting - - sorry
#6. If the camera rinse bucket is tiny and you have a monster camera rig, allow others to at least rinse their smaller cameras before you soak your big rig during the surface interval.
I'd modify #2 - If it isn't yours don't touch it needlessly. But if you see someone else's gear in harm's way, do something about it to prootect it and tell them.
#7. Look out for people who may be having a problem, and privately ask them whether you can help them.
#8. Don't rinse anything in the camera bucket that isn't a camera
#9. Feed the fish downwind, away from others and over the side
#10. Make way for those who have to go feed the fish NOW! We can't ask politely, as opening our mouths at that point could be disastrous!!
#11. When diving in a group, if the guide points out something interesting, let the non-photographers go first, then photographers then videographers. Be careful and considerate so as not to disturb the marine life (or other divers) as you approach and exit the spot and DON'T hog the spot. Take a few shots and let others in etc. You can return after the whole group goes through.
#12. Just because your a photographer does not mean that you own the entire reef. It also does not give you the right to trash the reef for the sake of a picture. Remember, the other divers paid just as much to be there as you did whether they have a camera or not.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#18 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

#1. If you borrow something, be sure to return it in a timely manner and in the same condition it was received in.
#3. Don't follow so close behind other divers that they're constantly brushing you with their fins (it's annoying to both!)
#4. Keep your things in the space assigned to you. This may be a cubby hole, a box or the space under the 2 tanks you are diving. If possible attach your mask to your bc or put in the pocket. Place regs inside your bc to keep them close, neat AND protected. Put your fins under your tanks or where they belong so they are easy to put on when its time to enter the water. If you do not know where your assigned space is ask. Do not bring so much stuff that you have to use all the available space around you as this limits someone else from having enough space for their gear.
#5. Fill out the forms and make your payments correctly - otherwise you are just making extra work for accounting - - sorry
#6. If the camera rinse bucket is tiny and you have a monster camera rig, allow others to at least rinse their smaller cameras before you soak your big rig during the surface interval.
I'd modify #2 - If it isn't yours don't touch it needlessly. But if you see someone else's gear in harm's way, do something about it to prootect it and tell them.
#7. Look out for people who may be having a problem, and privately ask them whether you can help them.
#10. Make way for those who have to go feed the fish NOW! We can't ask politely, as opening our mouths at that point could be disastrous!!
#11. When diving in a group, if the guide points out something interesting, let the non-photographers go first, then photographers then videographers. Be careful and considerate so as not to disturb the marine life (or other divers) as you approach and exit the spot and DON'T hog the spot. Take a few shots and let others in etc. You can return after the whole group goes through.
#12. Just because your a photographer does not mean that you own the entire reef. It also does not give you the right to trash the reef for the sake of a picture. Remember, the other divers paid just as much to be there as you did whether they have a camera or not.

The next one should be a given.I recalled the D/M with the Otopus video

#13 Respect the Creatures in THEIR Environment.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#19 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

# 14 Introduce yourself to those on the bench nearby, make new friends.

Edited by scubaski, 29 April 2010 - 07:12 PM.

MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#20 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

#12. Just because you're a photographer does not mean that you own the entire reef. It also does not give you the right to trash the reef for the sake of a picture. Remember, the other divers paid just as much to be there as you did whether they have a camera or not.
# 15 Clear the ladder after entering and exiting
# 16 Make sure the Captain / DM knows and agrees with your plan and you comply with theirs - if the crew tells you your dive is 60 minutes - suck it up and deal with - write blasting letters, boycott the operator and tell all your friends what a lousy trip it was - but be on board in 60 minutes
# 17 Stay with the guide or make your own tour, but let them know, and don't complain if they leave you behind while you stop and enjoy something - they are guides, not your personal 3rd buddy - it's your responsibility to stay with them, not vice versa unless otherwise briefed.

Edited by Capn Jack, 29 April 2010 - 11:50 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#21 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

In some ways I still feel like a newbie diver... but isn't there a little leeway on how long the dives can last? If the divemaster says 60 minutes, but conditions may provide for longer time, isn't it reasonable at the end of the dive brief to request a longer bottom time?

I'm not saying after discussion you shouldn't follow the divemaster's limitation on the dive, but what about negotiation after the dive briefing?

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

In some ways I still feel like a newbie diver... but isn't there a little leeway on how long the dives can last? If the divemaster says 60 minutes, but conditions may provide for longer time, isn't it reasonable at the end of the dive brief to request a longer bottom time?

I'm not saying after discussion you shouldn't follow the divemaster's limitation on the dive, but what about negotiation after the dive briefing?

ok in the DFW airport with a few minutes of connection... 60 minutes is reasonable. Most people can not last more than 60 minutes. Depending on the dive you may get more than 60 minutes by being the first one in. If it takes 20 minutes to get all divers in the water then you have technically 60 + 20 or 80 minutes. Yes you can ask the DM if you can hang out under the boat at the end of the dive...normally they are ok with that. But you have to ask and the answer WILL vary.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

I have found that the operators for the most part that I have used here in Florida do want each and every diver to stick to the time mark....and they will let you know that the "clock starts now" and if you are not ready your dive time is shortened by how long it takes you to "get ready" and splash. Ops will also say that divers should be back and on the boat at a specified time...ie 11:00. I believe this to be a fair practice and even though I can often extend past the hour; I respect the other divers and the operator to follow their instructions.

#24 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

The norm operated by many operators here is 45 minutes, and I agree it's annoying. I was diving with one operator in Key Largo once without a buddy, and I was assigned an instabuddy. I knew immediately why this guy wasn't buddied with anyone, he was so SLOW getting ready. It was a full five minutes after the last of the other divers had got in before he said he was ready. The briefing was to swim to the front of the boat and go down the bowline. There was a bit of a surface current and it was clear he was struggling, so I helped him (I was a DM by then). We never made the line, as after several minutes of struggling he said he couldn't go on. I had to tow him back to the ladder, hold him and the ladder, and try to attract the attention of the dive crew who were taking no interest in what was going on. Eventually he was back on the boat (turned out he had an undeclared heart condition) and 25 minutes late I was able to start my dive. Another 20 minutes, when I was just beginning to settle down and enjoy the dive, the recall signal came. I was not a happy bunny when I got back on the boat, I can tell you! But that incident seemed to change the crew's attitude to me, and I was no longer treated as a money-generating commodity but as a friend. They invited me on a night dive free (unofficially, as the business knew nothing of this) and on the way back afterwards I was the only customer offered a beer or three with the crew. They later roped me in to stage a "real" rescue scenario for one of their trainee instructors, but that's another story. I was sad when I went back two or three years later and found the business had closed - a couple of years was about it for any dive operation there in those days.

#25 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I think most operator stick to their norm, 45 mins untill they ascess divers skill level. If your diving with a cruise ship contractor your looking at a 40-45min dive. In those instances I try to be near the stern for 1st in, last out and can get a 50-55 min dive. My personal goal is 50 min or I feel short changed. 55-65 min I got my moneyworths.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#26 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

OK, to get this thread Back on Topic!

#12. Just because you're a photographer does not mean that you own the entire reef. It also does not give you the right to trash the reef for the sake of a picture. Remember, the other divers paid just as much to be there as you did whether they have a camera or not.
# 16 Make sure the Captain / DM knows and agrees with your plan and you comply with theirs - if the crew tells you your dive is 60 minutes - suck it up and deal with - write blasting letters, boycott the operator and tell all your friends what a lousy trip it was - but be on board in 60 minutes
# 17 Stay with the guide or make your own tour, but let them know, and don't complain if they leave you behind while you stop and enjoy something - they are guides, not your personal 3rd buddy - it's your responsibility to stay with them, not vice versa unless otherwise briefed.
#18 Dive buddies who like to stay close, should not swim behind & above the other diver. That's the hardest place for us to see you.
Posted Image

#27 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

#18 Dive buddies who like to stay close, should not swim behind & above the other diver. That's the hardest place for us to see you.
#19 ALWAYS respond to a recall signal IMMEDIATELY (and ensure you know what the recall signal is before you enter the water). It may just be that the crew have a schedule to keep, but it may be a medical emergency that means the boat must move off station asap, and they're just waiting for YOU.

#28 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

#19 ALWAYS respond to a recall signal IMMEDIATELY (and ensure you know what the recall signal is before you enter the water). It may just be that the crew have a schedule to keep, but it may be a medical emergency that means the boat must move off station asap, and they're just waiting for YOU.

#20 Tip the Crew when the Dive trip has ended
As an aside comment.I think the SD members here have demonstrated that Dive Etiquette is not something forgeign to know or practice. :teeth:

Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#29 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

I just rediscovered this, and it gave me a chuckle...

#30 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

#20 Tip the Crew when the Dive trip has ended 

#21 Know how to use your computer; what all the screens mean, how to program it. It really wants to keep you alive, If you only follow it's "advice"     

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users