• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Wanted - Deck Plans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Next weekend I have a trip planned to the Xing Da. It is a relatively new wreck being sunk as a dive site in 1997. I would like to do some penetrations and as she is on the deep side of recreational diving I do not want to waste any time orienting myself. I would think there would be a good chance of getting deck plans. However, I have no concept of where to start looking for these. My usual Google searches revealed only two pictures. One is on the web site linked above and the other is the underwater photo. Neither lets me know what the interior looks like.

The boat captain taking us out was on hand when she was scuttled, but his descriptions are verbal and vague.

Where do you begin your research on wrecks?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

If you can determine the class (model) of ship, try Jane's Fighting Ships website. They often include auxilliary vessels in their order of battle research.

If MV Xing Da is a fishing or strictly commercial vessel (particularly if built in the Far East) then deck plans become very difficult to track down. Good luck in your exploits as a penetration pioneer! (So to speak.) :thankyou:

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#3 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

Simmon,depending on what type of ship it was,maybe you can go in the back door ,so to speak.Their Navy or ours??? The company that did the Demo work,Local shipyard??or the Town or Village authority. Thats just my .02psi for what its worth.Hope it helps.
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Simon:

My thought would be to find out who did the environmental cleaning of the vessel prior to scuttling for the reef project. They would require plans on hand for that job, as well as knowing the stress points for demolition.

PPM

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

My thought would be to find out who did the environmental cleaning of the vessel prior to scuttling for the reef project. They would require plans on hand for that job, as well as knowing the stress points for demolition.

That is an option I am pursuing as well.

If this vessel did smuggle weapons for the Viet Cong I suspect the deck plans may not be 100% accurate in any event. :thankyou:

Still, would be nice to have a better sense of what lays down there before I encounter it given the restrictive profile. Oh its also a one tank dive as well. So...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users