• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Selection of Fins

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

I went back to 2005 and didn't see anything on this topic.Thought I would drum up some discussion in this area.Since I had to get a new pr of fins,with my drysuit .My current set Aeris/Maki regular would not accomadate the boots.I got the ScubaPro Twin jet max.I had seen the split Fins and different options within that catagory in all the mags and read how much they save on stress.All I can say is ,yes they were right and I wish I had gotten a pr for warm water,when I first started 4 yrs ago.

My question survey here would be : #1 Are you pro split or not ,Why?
#2 If not what do you prefer and what design..
#3 Was type of Diving an influence?
#4 Anything you would care to add......
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

#1 Are you pro split or not ,Why?
#2 If not what do you prefer and what design..
#3 Was type of Diving an influence?
#4 Anything you would care to add......

1. I love my full foot split fins. Have used split fins for ~4 years now. I now have Scubapro full foot splits, but also have Apollo Biofins (and they are heavy, and require yucky booties! so I rarely wear them.)
I can keep up with just about anyone I have dived with in the full foot splits, including the buff divemasters, with no problem. Can go backwards and have excellent fine movement control.

2. Only wear the Biofins in cold water, where I have to wear booties for the cold water.

3. No.

4. Get extremely little fatigue in the splits, even when swimming upstream in current. (Why would we do that?????)

:cool1:

#3 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

1. Pro split for no current, love them for local diving - air consumption dropped when I started using them
2. Shopping for fins for current
3. I don't care for the splits in strong current or surge
4. People seem to be quite polarized on this subject. I love my split fins, just not in all situations.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#4 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

I've used lots of split fins and don't like any of them. I prefer a stiffer fin that I have to move less. My favourite for some time have been the various Mares fins that look similar, the Quattro with four flex slots, plus the versions with three slots and two slots. My overall favourite is the 2-slot version (don't know what they're called). Very comfortable to wear, narrow enough that neither fin ever clashes with the other, relatively light to transport, and relatively cheap. And extremely long lasting. Can't fault them.

#5 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

Thank you,Robin,Lynn & Peter.
The other comment I would mention.Why don't LDS's allow a trial with Fin's ?Yes the #1 answer will be because they can't sell them as NEW.However,if a Dive shop would/could be a little creative and have a pr for consignment/trial.If lost or ? ,then pymt would be necessary.Not shell out $200.00,thank you and hope you like them.To me this would be a big bonus to the diver wanting a "feel" for the pr. of fins interested in.Yes,I'm sure inventory could be another reason,but as I told the LDS owner.You don't buy a car site on seen....At least they allow a test drive.
Greg

#6 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

I have a pair of mares Quattro's and when i got my new dry suit they would not fit over the boots so i bought a second pair. I like them for all the same reasons Peter said. I dove a set of the brand new Scuba Pro fins the weekend before memorial day. i'm not sure i like them but I may give them another try

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

I have had ScubaPro Twinjet splits for three years and do like them for their efficiency and they are easier on my aging joints. Down side is they do not frog kick well; though it could be argued I never frog kicked well to begin with. :cool1: (Anyone inventive want to add a zipper to the split to address that little issue? :teeth: ) While expensive ($220 CDN), they are guaranteed for life and that ain't bad. The splits are good for general travel, but not recommended for wreck penetrations as lines can get entangled in them. They pack away with a smaller footprint compared to solid type fins as well. Good general purpose fins IMHO.

I did have the opportunity to try a pair of Seawing Nova fins last weekend when I dove on doubles and they impressed me as well. Very stable, smooth stroke and the spring heel strap was easy to don and doff. Never took the opportunity to try them at max speed, but was decent performance and responsive.

The only other fin I ever tried was Cressi Rondine which were fine until you tried to kick with any force and they shimmied from side to side when they went through the water. Once was enough for me with them.

For Lynn's comments about surge. I found technique is the best way to get through those conditions. When the flow is against you, kick minimally, just enough to keep your place. Then when the flow reverses kick to advance as far as possible. Repeat as required.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

My LDS has both the masks and fins they sell available for trial in their pool. The idea is that if people try them during their confined pool and like them, then they will most likely buy them.

I have two sets of fins, a set of TUSA splits and OMS Slipstreams. The latter clearly gives me more power, but OTOH, tear up the top of my feet with a soft bootie. So I dive the OMS fins with my dry suit or when diving tec, but use the TUSAs for my other diving.

I would like to try the OMS Scalar fins sometime as they are supposed to provide the best of both worlds.

Edited by georoc01, 08 June 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

I own lots of fins, but I always choose to use the Mares. I like Scubapro Jetfins in principle, you know the ancient design heavy rubber ones, but the footbed is too short for my feet and I can't wear them for long - they cut the tops of my feet. Since I know several other people who find this, you'd think they might have elongated the footbed by now.....

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

I wouldn't waste money on split fins. They just don't have the power needed for diving in current.

I, too have fond memories of Mares fins. I had the original Plana Avantis (which is what I think Peter was mentioning), and then I switched to Avanti Quattros. They were light, easy to use, and delivered decent power.

After the Quattros, I used Jetfins for years, and they worked very well for me. (I am quite proud to say that I finally killed my pair after many dives, which I understand to be pretty difficult to accomplish. They split where the blade connects into the foot pocket. No problem: Scuba Pro replaced them for free under warranty even after so many years.) The Jets were quite powerful, and very comfortable. However, the Jets are quite heavy. With so much overage to pay when flying, I decided to look for something to substitute.

I next tried the OMS Slipstreams. These were excellent in all respects except for one. On the positive side, they are almost identical to the Jets. They are very light compared to the Jets. They deliver a lot of power. On the negative side, they are made out of a kind of plastic material including in the foot pocket. This material causes the foot pocket to dig into the top of my foot, and then my feet start to hurt. After hoping that they would "break in" for several dives, I finally gave them up. I have since heard about this problem from several other divers.

I have been diving Dive Rite fins for about two years now. I find these to have a good balance of power, weight, and ease to use. They are very comfortable. Two potential negatives: First, they scratch up pretty easily. So, they won't look so pretty out of the water after you have used them for a while. However, the scratches go away once in the water until dry. Second, the spring strap design includes a flat edge that rests against the back of the diver's foot. This can feel a little different on the diver's foot until the diver gets used to it. However, the diver can remove this edge from the spring strap, bringing the fin back to a more typical design. So, I wouldn't make a big deal about this. I just thought it worth mentioning.

I have heard good things about the Hollis fins that have come out recently. I have not tried them. So, I can't directly say. My understanding is that they are very comfortable, and powerful. However, they are heavy.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

I wouldn't waste money on split fins. They just don't have the power needed for diving in current.

Um... did you see my avatar? MN lake. NO current. Zippo. Nada. :) My dive buddy was about 8 feet away when he took the photo. :D

Greg is from Chicago and he's talking dry suit. Greg - where are you planning on diving?

Edited by lynnlchan, 08 June 2010 - 08:35 PM.

Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#12 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Yes SDM, I also tried the OMS fins - WW and I swapped fins when she was here a while back. I wasn't impressed with her OMS but she said she liked my Mares. I've never even seen the DiveRite fins so I can't comment on them. I don't expect to want or need to buy new fins any time soon.

One fin that no-one has mentioned is the Forcefin. These have a cult following that I've never been able to understand. I tried a pair for a few dives and found them to be OK if a little strange, not especially comfortable on the foot, very wide so that with some swimming styles they kept fouling each other, and in no way justifying their exceptionally high price (I believe one model costs a staggering $800!). I'd be interested if any SD members have these and love them (as opposed to putting up with them because they've sunk an awful lot of money into them).

Another point that has been touched on. I strongly dislike the steel springs that some people espouse, and greatly prefer the traditional rubber straps. I find them easy to get on and off, whereas the steel springs can be a nightmare if I have a drysuit and a lot of heavy gear on. The adjustment of the spring is usually critical to the footware used, and using the same fins for warm water diving with booties and coldwater diving with a drysuit is well-nigh impossible. And lastly, I have only once in my entire diving career had a fin strap break, and I had ignored the obvious cracking on that strap for ages. Straps are utterly reliable, supremely comfortable, and immediately adjustable to the foot/boot.

Edited by peterbj7, 08 June 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#13 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

Um... did you see my avatar? MN lake. NO current. Zippo. Nada. :) My dive buddy was about 8 feet away when he took the photo. :D

Greg is from Chicago and he's talking dry suit. Greg - where are you planning on diving?

Lynn,Yes I did!! Well,Where you ask? Your photo is very accurate & familiar view . The underwater sand/silt storm..Last Sat.Pearl Lake near Rockford,Il.As to the where else? I am planning to try to get to Bonn Terre Mine,near St Louis in the fall. Mermit Springs in southern Il. has been written up in Sport Diver ,April issue.It has a Boeing 727 jet that was used in U S Marshall's with Tommy Lee Jones.,sunk there.It's near "Metropolis".Ring a bell? They have a Superman museum there,from what I understand.Since the "Carribean ,might not see me for awhile,with the "economy".I am as Tammy so accurately describes,Landlocked.Divetraining Mag or dtmag.com has lots of US sites shown. There is a Quarry a 1 hr drive that I can dive there.Maybe a drive to Wisc.,Ind. or I'd like to try Lake Michigan,as there are alot of Wecks out there well within Rec Dive depths..Before I do that ,I'm going to practice...In the mean time thank's and "stay dry",or wet whatever your preference..

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 09 June 2010 - 06:06 AM.

Greg

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

Yes, Split fins work just fine in current for some of us, and some of us can go faster than folks in those big heavy stiff fins (compared side by side.... even dragging along camera rigs). And I use full foot fins, not open heels. Go figure..... :)

People who switch back and forth, never like splits, because you have to fin differently, and their legs/brains don't adapt well to switching back and forth between the two types of finning styles.

And splits are excellent frog kicking (my favorite style), Simon.

So sorry folks, it's not the fins to blame, here. It is entirely a matter of personal choice.

And yes, I can even go backwards in my split fins. :D

Do I own paddle fins? Yes. Do I prefer paddle or splits? Splits in a heartbeat!

• Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

I used to ScubaPro TwinJet Max until I tried the OMS Slipstream. The OMS tore my feet up but I could work through it fine for a test. I found the OMS had a ton of power but when I switched back to my the splits I found that I could generate just as much power with a slightly different kick. Later I traded the OMS for Scubapro jets which were very comfortable and generated just as much power as the OMS but when I switched back again I found that the jets kept up with them so unless I need to push doubles I will stick with the splits. They even work quite well in a ripping current IF you know the proper kick. I think the key is the splits needs to be fairly stiff instead of the really flexible ones and you need to learn to use them properly of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users