• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Canada 2004: Mayhem in Brockville!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:22 PM

Gettin' home:

I think I mentioned that if one finds it necessary to drive up or down the Rio St.Lawrence in Quebec (pronounced "key-bek"), it's good to know that "est" is short for "east," and "ouest" is "not east" - similar to the Spanish words. Their ancestors had a lot of cross border invasions and inter-marriages in the middle ages, so they have some ligual similarities. {How French words got into the English language is another political story.} Yet, regardless of what you thought you learned in Daddy Bush's war, "sortie" does not mean "flight," so when you see that on a hiway sign, you don't have to worry about planes. "Sortie" means "salina" or "exit."

I zoomed back est towards Montreal's compact international airport, still trying to figure out what Kilometers had to do with miles, making 70-80 mph in a 100 kph area. As I entered the outskirts, I finally determined that if one punches enough of the right buttons, the odomometer magically jumps to kph - and I'm hear to tell you, blending with the traffic will run you way over the suggested speed limit! Had to refuel the red Grand Prix with petro sold in liters, in Canaddidan dollors, so I have no idea what that was exactly, but I turned the car in with the tank full and all the pieces intact. Avis Corp seemed pleased.

I always try to be courteous to the airport, airline, and government employees I encounter as I jump thru the hoops known as the travel system, but I don't encounter many terminal workers, and the airline people are always pretty nice less they get a bad report - especially once Delta agents see my FF-card & status. But then, I'm paying the payrolls of all these people, including the Smokey Bears & Cubs - of any nation I travel to! Ergo, I find it difficult to hold myself in check when I have to put up with rude behavior, incompetence, or inappropriateness.

I arrived at U.S. customs in Montreal at 12n only to learn that they take a 5 minute break every day from 11:50am to 12:20pm to receive worldwide advisories broadcast to them from the Lord High Smokey somewhere, so when I finally cleared that step - the Canadadian equivalents to TSA agents were still enjoying their recreational hour, laughing, joking, grabbing butt - serious anti-terror endeavors. I was the first one to approach a newly reopened luggage screening gate, where the agent swabbed one of my two oversized gear & clothes bags for chemicals - on the outside only, before telling me to put both of them on the belt. So much for my $10 process.

I was held up at the next screening gate for carry-on bags of course, where my most precious Scuba gear is always inspected, and it's always a puzzel to try to guess what these agents will want to confiscate to take home with them? This one took my Cable Ties! Can someone give me a hint why they could justify taking my Cable Ties? They afraid I might secure something, or connect them end to end to make a cable almost as long as the telephone cord for my laptop? Jeez!

And it's all a bluff and a waste. If a bad guy wanted to make a weapon, it'd take less than one minute to use metal fatigue on an aluminum soft drink can to start a skilled tear and fold, creating a point suitable for puncturing any jugliar vein. In that minute, his buddy bad guy could use his 80 cf scuba tank, valve removed per TSA safety rules for carry-on luggage, to batter down a cockpit door. And they took my cable ties?! At least I got to keep my nail clippers, so I could open my peanut bags.

Scheduled a 2-1/2 hour layover in DFw to have dinner with a friend. When I went back thru screening, my lap top went in one tray, my lap top carrier in a second, my boots in a third, my hat in a fourth, my pocket stuff in a fith, and my roll-on with my reg, 2 computers, 2 cameras, etc. First time they didn't inspect it. Actually, I don't think anyone was watching the screen.

Oh, yeah - my pony bottle rode thru in checked luggage. No problems.

Dragged my luggage out to the courtesy shuttle in Lubbock tonight, and the driver loaded the bags for me, as he does for everyone. I was the first to be dropped off, as I have a reserved space just inside the gate, as after he put my bags in my pickup, he said:
"Well, goodnight, Mr.Henderson."
Me, loud enough that the other 10 people could hear: "Don't I always tip you?"[color=blue]
"Yes sir, with a $2 bill."

Loud again: "Okay, here's 2 of them." I hope they heard me; I know that most of them want to conveniently not think of it. But you better believe I always get good service there.:P

Now, let's see if I can post the group shot - Nine of the Dirty Dozen;
No pictured: Capt Evan, his gorgeous First Mate & Wife Anic, and ;) BossHoss. :P

Attached Images

• Brockville_ONt_024.jpg

Edited by DandyDon, 07 September 2004 - 11:32 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:41 AM

see ya tomorrow all!!

Hey Romeo...Remind DiverBrian he has something for you from me.....:cool2:

LOL, Thanks Butterfly, he did pass it along.

Somehow it's just not the same though...... ;)

Holding out on us eh??? Aren't you the sly dog! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:50 AM

Such silliness in Brockville..... and that's all I'm saying!

Oh that, and thanks for my buddies it was a grand time.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:07 AM

Momma June....that's it??? :cool2: LOL!!! But you were right...the dive buddies were AWESOME on this trip! :cool2: Rumor has it June even buddied with at least one Texan! Does that make you a nationalized one???? ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:56 AM

Momma June....that's it??? ;) LOL!!! But you were right...the dive buddies were AWESOME on this trip! :cool2: Rumor has it June even buddied with at least one Texan! Does that make you a nationalized one???? :o

What happened to "What happens there, stays there?" I didn't tell who forgot a passport, after 40 reminders. :cool2:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#21 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hello all!! Just a note to ell eveyone how much fun I had!! Also been diving here in Plattsburgh.....with the guy who bought Evan's boat!!! Small world here. Not going to say who until it's all final. But just let it be known that when we dive up there next year, we should still use Bottom Time Charters. More when I get home in a few days.
Sempar Partus!!

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:58 PM

Momma June....that's it??? :o LOL!!! But you were right...the dive buddies were AWESOME on this trip! :taz: Rumor has it June even buddied with at least one Texan! Does that make you a nationalized one???? :o

What happened to "What happens there, stays there?" I didn't tell who forgot a passport, after 40 reminders. :-D

Don...you make it sound like its a bad thing! :o Besides how would anyone know which Texan we were talking about???? Do you think it could be the one that left their passport the first day and so got to dive with 8 guys instead on the Canadian side????? :-D

formerly...

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:07 PM

Do you think it could be the one that left their passport the first day and so got to dive with 8 guys instead on the Canadian side?????

She had her passport. She just met 8 guys and hid it. :taz:

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

Do you think it could be the one that left their passport the first day and so got to dive with 8 guys instead on the Canadian side?????

She had her passport. She just met 8 guys and hid it. :lmao:

Naw....who would do that??? Surely not I? However, they were a nice consolation prize as I thought I was just going to get to walk around THINKING about diving! LOL!!! :dltears:

formerly...

#25 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:03 PM

She had her passport. She just met 8 guys and hid it. :pray:

Naw....who would do that??? Surely not I? However, they were a nice consolation prize as I thought I was just going to get to walk around THINKING about diving! LOL!!! :dltears:

Yeah, we felt sorry for you - for a minute and a half.

Then that evening, we started organizing a search posse to go look for you. Glad you showed up.

Hey - who wants to see a picture of a pretty gal with great hair, but who had it done in Carribean braids, squnting against the sun without a cap? :lmao:

Nah - I'd never get permission. :pray:

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:28 PM

You never know....send it to them and let them decide!!! :lmao:

formerly...

#27 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:23 PM

On behalf of that person, since I was in several pictures with her....POST IT!!!

hehehehe!!
Sempar Partus!!

#28 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:34 PM

On behalf of that person, since I was in several pictures with her....POST IT!!!

hehehehe!!

Uh, are you authroized to authorize...? :wacko:

#29 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

Hey! CanuckDiver is in that picture so he can right????
Sempar Partus!!

#30 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:00 PM

As pretty as her hair is, I couldn't believe she did that to it. And I have given her a lot of caps!

I sent her all of your close-ups, and she was going to send them to you? I also gave her the whole file, which took 6 hours overnight to download on dial-up, so she could tell me which to post in gallery? Too busy!

You had several good ones, and - your hair looks great after diving. I like your cute diving wrap, too. If she'd let me shoot the shots, though, I would have adjusted the lightness when I could. You know how she likes to do things...

Attached Images

• Brockville_ONt_038.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users