• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What other sports do members play/indulge in..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Diving is my first passion when it comes to sport, but it is a 3 or 5 hour drive to get to the better sites in the area. With the mid summer heat now here in the UAE, I have recently taken up golf to get out and at least get some fresh air/exercise locally. Temperatures are not too bad after 4pm and I reckon I'll be able to play a round by the time it cools down again (fingers crossed)

It has got me wondering - what do other SCUBA divers do for sport when not blowing bubbles and working out - especially those that lives some distance from the ocean or dive sites?

Edited by weescot, 26 July 2010 - 09:50 AM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#2 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

I’m a card carrying member of the Margarita arm benders society :wakawaka:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Gotta love those 12oz bicep curls, Jerry! :wakawaka:

I'm not as fit as I should be [my weight goes up & down with my life's ups & downs], but I enjoy riding my bike around the lake trail that starts near my house. This time of year, no matter the time of day, you can lose 5 lbs of sweat on the 14 mile circuit!
Posted Image

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

I ride my bike, ocassionally run, fish, hunt, waterski, have a house/yard to take care of. That must be enough because I certainly do not have an excess of free time.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 scubajunkie6

scubajunkie6

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

With a desk job that involves a lot of computer and phone time, I seldom get up and move around. I joined a gym over 2 years ago, and hired a personal trainer. I was REALLY hoping to get addicted to the workouts, but that's not happening. I do not enjoy getting sweaty.

I bought an elliptical last year, and found that the time does go by fast when I am using the elliptical and reading a good book. Having this home equipment has also allowed me to have cardio at 10pm at night, when my son has gone to bed, for example, and I'm not leaving him at home. There have been days when I know I have had maybe 30 minutes of moderate activity such as walking, taking the stairs, etc. for the whole day, so I will get on the elliptical in the late evening. It doesn't seem to impact my sleep.

My son will get me in a Wii challenge...I tell you what, a sword fight or boxing game, WILL make you sweat! LOL, there's an "Endless Ocean" Wii game?, but it is a couch potato scenario, and not the real thing....we don't own it.

#6 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Snow Ski in the winter months..Golf in the summertime..

#7 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Used to wrestle and play lacrosse (I played lacrosse into my 30's), but now days, it's just the elliptical cross-trainer.

Rick

:wakawaka:

#8 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

According to time/season/location/inclination/funds available, the following:-
cycling (road & mountain, pretty intensive in both cases), downhill skiing, kayaking, sprinting (when I was a lot younger), cross-country running, skydiving, swimming (competitive), fell walking.

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Golf once in a great while with friends or my son - we are so bad we keep score by how many balls we lose.

Snow skiing was fun but tough these days to get away and go - again, did a fair amount when my son was a teen - most of the joy is being with someone who can enjoy it with you.

Getting back into shooting these days after Texas threatened to revoke my citizenship unless I got back on the range.
  • Mermaid Lady likes this
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Tennis, tennis and more tennis! Even during the recent 100 degree weather my tennis fanatic friends and I have been out playing. I also have a 90+ pound German Shepherd who likes to take me for walks.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Well right now not much due to my back, but after it gets fixed i want to get back to my photography and get in shape so i can do more outdoors (mountain bike,etc). I would say golf but i cant play worth beans.
Mark what are you shooting? im thinking about getting in to shooting and competitive shooting again?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#12 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

Quite a range! Nice to read. I think it is important to have a general "get up and go" attitude whatever your age/fitness levels. Also the fitter you are, the better you are on air. FAct.

I do work out but I am defiantely a more out door-sey kind of person, but living in a citry in the Middle East does limit your options during the week.
As an expat you have a different mentality towards sport as you are not "home" and sport takes on a more social element.

I did venture out to the shooting range here - I can see the skill required, but can't quite see the "sport/fitness" element to shooting - can anyone on the board maybe convince me otherwise as I am I am quite good - my first 25 rounds after 11 years:

Attached Thumbnails

• Shooting_Practice1.jpg

Edited by weescot, 26 July 2010 - 10:19 PM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#13 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,066 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

*Snippety*
I did venture out to the shooting range here - I can see the skill required, but can't quite see the "sport/fitness" element to shooting - can anyone on the board maybe convince me otherwise as I am I am quite good - my first 25 rounds after 11 years:

Saaaay, that's some mighty fine shootin' there Ma'am! :) Would you consider changing your SD moniker to Sheena aka AnnieOakley? :twist: Seriously, a pretty good grouping for one so long off the trigger as you mention.

Back on topic: Yardwork on the farm provides ample opportunity for stretching and sweating. Although the mowing is with a lawn tractor, there is also clearing access roads of trees both fallen and overgrown, grass trimming around buildings and rusty tractor accessories and occasional short sprints when discovering snakes in the underbrush. :) Heck, there ought to be an Olympics category for this! :D

When aboard Miss Magic there is swimming to the beach and back from her usual perch a couple hundred yards off Shell Island with long beach walks sandwiched between. I must admit those opportunities have not occurred nearly enough this season; think I'll head down this weekend to work on raising that ratio... :)

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#14 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

I occasionally get in a swimming pool and walk back and forth, and do leg lifts while cracking jokes with the physical therapist. :)
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#15 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

*Snippety*

Saaaay, that's some mighty fine shootin' there Ma'am! :cheerleader: Would you consider changing your SD moniker to Sheena aka AnnieOakley? :thankyou: Seriously, a pretty good grouping for one so long off the trigger as you mention.

Back on topic: Yardwork on the farm provides ample opportunity for stretching and sweating. Although the mowing is with a lawn tractor, there is also clearing access roads of trees both fallen and overgrown, grass trimming around buildings and rusty tractor accessories and occasional short sprints when discovering snakes in the underbrush. :cool1: Heck, there ought to be an Olympics category for this! :D

When aboard Miss Magic there is swimming to the beach and back from her usual perch a couple hundred yards off Shell Island with long beach walks sandwiched between. I must admit those opportunities have not occurred nearly enough this season; think I'll head down this weekend to work on raising that ratio... :welcome:

I know what you mean about the farm work. 5 acres tends to require sweaty maintenance.....and the sprints due to the slithery critters that definately jack the heart rate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users