• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What other sports do members play/indulge in..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Quite a range! Nice to read. I think it is important to have a general "get up and go" attitude whatever your age/fitness levels. Also the fitter you are, the better you are on air. FAct.

I do work out but I am defiantely a more out door-sey kind of person, but living in a citry in the Middle East does limit your options during the week.
As an expat you have a different mentality towards sport as you are not "home" and sport takes on a more social element.

I did venture out to the shooting range here - I can see the skill required, but can't quite see the "sport/fitness" element to shooting - can anyone on the board maybe convince me otherwise as I am I am quite good - my first 25 rounds after 11 years:

I will admit i shot competition air rifle and .22 when i was younger and that was static shooting, but still took a lot to compete at a high level, but not alot physically.

Well it depends on the competition if its a a static shooting competition(.22 10m 3 stance) the only strength you need is in the arms and finger, but if its a biathlon, speed steel, 3 gun match or others where you have to run and gun some fitness is a good idea.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#17 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

.....and the sprints due to the slithery critters that definately jack the heart rate

or running away from little piggies? :thankyou: :cheerleader:
Posted Image

#18 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

snake + 12 ga shotgun = no problem.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#19 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

Apart from regular gym stuff, I go to a boxing club. It's a great workout!!! Need to stop fearing the cold water and start kayaking again!!!

#20 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

I can see the skill required, but can't quite see the "sport/fitness" element to shooting - can anyone on the board maybe convince me otherwise as I am I am quite good - my first 25 rounds after 11 years:

1. The slower your pulse, the more time you have to shoot between beats
2. The stronger your arm, shoulder and core, the longer you can hold a good off-hand position
3. The stronger your hand, the better you can recover from the recoil of a decent sized weapon (Rule #2, never bring a handgun to a gunfight whose caliber does not begin with a FOUR) and get round #2, 3 thru "N" into center mass - "N" being the number of bullets your weapon holds
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#21 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Apart from regular gym stuff, I go to a boxing club. It's a great workout!!! Need to stop fearing the cold water and start kayaking again!!!

Actually - thats a great idea Rosa - there is kayaking in the mangroves around Abu Dhabi. I had forgotten about that! Bit hot at the moment.

CApt Jack - just seen your reply. Thanks. Explains why I get a sore arm during shooting.

Whilst seartching for some inspiration I found this website detailing the lesser known quintessential British sports. Number 6 might raise a few eyebrows re UK/US language differences :-)

http://factoidz.com/...h-sports-games/

Edited by weescot, 27 July 2010 - 10:16 PM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#22 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

I can see the skill required, but can't quite see the "sport/fitness" element to shooting - can anyone on the board maybe convince me otherwise as I am I am quite good - my first 25 rounds after 11 years:

1. The slower your pulse, the more time you have to shoot between beats
2. The stronger your arm, shoulder and core, the longer you can hold a good off-hand position
3. The stronger your hand, the better you can recover from the recoil of a decent sized weapon (Rule #2, never bring a handgun to a gunfight whose caliber does not begin with a FOUR) and get round #2, 3 thru "N" into center mass - "N" being the number of bullets your weapon holds

That pretty much sums up how to keep things constant , plus smooth trigger control. Two to center mass, One to the head, that should take care of things as one 45acp should stop them.

Whats wrong dont like 9 mm or .357sig? I know im just yanking your chain. 45acp is my round of choice in a 1911, G30, or P220 frame

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Whilst seartching for some inspiration I found this website detailing the lesser known quintessential British sports. Number 6 might raise a few eyebrows re UK/US language differences :-)

http://factoidz.com/...h-sports-games/

They showed dyke jumping on The Amazing Race a couple of seasons ago...it was hilarious to watch contestants land in the dyke, then try to claw their way out on the muddy, steep banks to try again.
Posted Image

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

Other than diving, the only "sport" I am involved in is chasing lovely ladies. It gets me plenty of exercise because all of them run much faster than I do.

#25 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

I did get to the gym regularly... guess what I like to do.... swim laps! I guess once a diver, always in the water. But between work and studying for the CPA, I don't have much time anymore. I take the dog for a walk every evening, when it's not raining. He's about 185 lbs and 14 months old. An Old English Mastiff and he is very slow. This way I don't have to jog!

I used to snow ski and golf, but alas time and money become the factors again. I'd rather save up for a dive vacation!

:(

#26 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

Other than diving, the only "sport" I am involved in is chasing lovely ladies. It gets me plenty of exercise because all of them run much faster than I do.

I thought you'd stopped doing that now?

As to shooting, I also used to shoot but don't consider it a sport in this sense. In my British Army unit I was best pistol shot two years running. Wouldn't even know how to strip one down now.

#27 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Apart from regular gym stuff, I go to a boxing club.

Hmmmm note to self... be careful when smarting off to Sis next time.....
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#28 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:54 AM

I thought you'd stopped doing that now?

As to shooting, I also used to shoot but don't consider it a sport in this sense. In my British Army unit I was best pistol shot two years running. Wouldn't even know how to strip one down now.

I don't think men ever give that up - it is just the style and pace that changes!
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#29 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Apart from regular gym stuff, I go to a boxing club.

Hmmmm note to self... be careful when smarting off to Sis next time.....

LOL, big bro. Luckily for you, I would have to reach up quite a way to knock you out (even with my "over the head punches"). I think you are safe!!!

#30 H2Oaddict

H2Oaddict

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1,200+

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Wow, lot's of fun stuff to do. Local - work out a few times a week, roller blade and water ski when I get the chance. For travel, head to the mountains and hike. In the winter go play in the snow and do a little skiing and eventually try some ice diving. Of course these are things to do when I can't dive :-).
Happy Diving, LJMongy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users