• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pool Practice?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

This weekend I was invited to tag along to my LDS' OW class pool session. Unfortunately, the class was cancelled. I was looking forward to just practicing the basics; mask clearing, reg recovery, etc. Basically just an excuse get some exercise and to get wet.

This got me thinking. Do others plan regular or semi-regular practice sessions to keep skills fresh?

Edited by scubaclint, 01 August 2010 - 07:45 PM.

#2 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

when I first started diving I would go with my LDS to pool practice. At the time they were using the local YMCA pool so it was plenty big enough for them to have class and I could be off to myself. After that I would dive in the local river , very shallow but deeper than the pool. After a couple of hundred dives and when I got to the point where I could go on a dive trip and it felt more natural, the steps like mask clearing and taking my bc off underwater were not big deal I stopped doing the local practice dives. However, in my opinion, practice is always good. And if your having fun going to the pool or whatever, go for it.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#3 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:31 AM

I always go to the pool prior to a dive trip. Not only to go over basic skills but to also do a check of all of my gear prior to traveling especially if I have had it serviced in between trips.

#4 drifter

drifter

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

When I was living in a place where there was an LDS, I would tag along as often as I could. Just getting in the water every month or so was good practice. I feel like I got more comfortable in the water a lot quicker through repetition. I didn't do all of the skill checks every time, but I would go hang out in the deep end and practice buoyancy control, fin pivot, swim around upside down, etc.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
"Not all those who wander are lost."
~JRR Tolkien

#5 scubadiver888

scubadiver888

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

I go to the pool with my LDS whenever they are in the pool. They also have a place they do open water checkout dives. I'll tag along there as well. I go to practice my skills, learn about teaching scuba (I'm working towards OWSI), test out equipment after it has been serviced and try out new gear.

Darrell

#6 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

Went the the pool session this Thursday. It was mostly a gear check and chance to practice skills. It was helpful watching the instructor with brand new students. Enjoyed it very much. :birthday:

Clint

#7 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

If you would like some truly FREE practice, then volunteer to be a victim in the next rescue class. It is a very educational experience.

Another way to get free practice is to take a refresher course. (I just gave one today.) The shop I divemaster for prices its refresher classes to be only a few dollars more than the cost of the book + gear rental. And if you time it right with a two-tank boat dive you get the refresher course plus a personal guide on the second dive for nothing extra.

If you want to pay for practice time... take the divemaster course (practice + education + fun + certification + great experiences = :birthday: )

#8 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Instructor (AOWSI)
  • Logged Dives:1200

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

I get into the pool to practice every chance I get, during the wintertime. Besides regular recreational skills, I will also occasionally bring in my technical equipment & practice skills like valve shutdown drill whilst in neutral buoyancy in about 3- 4ft of water, hovering, ditching & dawning my gear, swimming laps sans my mask, back kicks & helicopter turns,... There's plenty to keep me busy.
Tammy Storm SSI OWSI #46723 SDI & TDI Instructor #15093

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:47 AM

Went the the pool session this Thursday. It was mostly a gear check and chance to practice skills. It was helpful watching the instructor with brand new students. Enjoyed it very much. :birthday:

Clint

Knowing Clint...I see a future DiveMaster on the horizon! :respect:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users